Daily Check-in May 24, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check-in May 24, 2022

Post by floridacatlover »

Hello friends.

Maggie, congrats to your son!

I have just been doing odds and ends for my trip, but this morning I took a long nap. I haven’t been frugal. I bought three new pair of slacks (returned one pair) because I came to the realization it is likely to be chilly in Denmark and Sweden.

I bought the Copenhagen Card for five days (the maximum) and saved $10 by paying in euros and charging it to my cc that doesn’t have a foreign transaction fee instead of paying in U.S. dollars.

I got the bill for my umbrella insurance (which I expected). I thought about non-renewing but decided to keep it. It’s not too expensive.

I’ve been looking at options for a Covid antigen test in Stockholm. I’ll have to take the test within one day of returning to the U.S. (What is the point at this stage of the pandemic?? Sheesh!) I think I’ve found two good places, one near my hotel and one near the Central Station. Cost will be about $50. (I could buy the home tests that you take online which I think are cheaper but I’d rather do it in person.)

Because of the Covid test, I’m thinking of paying my June and July HOA fees together before the trip (more $$ from my checking account!) just in case (!) I test positive. Most of my other bills are paid automatically. There is a lot to plan for when traveling alone.

I had two jars of the recalled Jif peanut butter and just submitted the form to get coupons. (I’m so glad I didn’t donate the unopened jar to the USPS food drive!) I’m sure Publix would take them back without a receipt but I’m a bit wary of the ones now on the shelf they would give me.

Have a good day.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Salut mes amis!

I caught up with Franki's Mom today. She wanted me to babysit Franki for the weekend but I was already booked with Charlee. He spent the weekend with her boys and ex, so all turned out okay for my little Franki Boi. I told her to give him some cuddles from me!

Didn't get to the clinic this afternoon. I forgot it was the first day back after a long weekend and they were busy. I'll have to go tomorrow.

I have the dishwasher to unload and want to clean up the counter in the bathroom. Not much else having to going on over here for today, anyway.

Had to recharge my FitBit again today. I'm getting better at figuring it out. I also found the manual for the Charge 2 FitBit online so I think I might consult that this afternoon as I don't understand most of the symbols it uses!!

That's the skinny from around here!!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
casadekitty

Post by casadekitty »

Update:

Mackie, that kitchen sounds beyond disgusting. The first thought I always have is....do they do that stuff in their own home?

I have planted some garden, tomatoes, bell peppers and beets so far in the garden plot at dads and cantaloupe, spinach, lettuce and radishes in pots here at home and in the pumpkin patch area some blue pumpkins' and some of these squatty looking orange pumpkins that I had saved seeds from. I really want to plant some blue hubbard squash but might have run out of space. I have something in mind ,so we shall see.

Dear God I just turned on the news and a mass shooting at an elementary school in Texas. Sweet Lord this needs to stop.
JCKitty
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

The elementary school is just 83 miles. West of San Antonio, Texas in a farming community.

Penny
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

casadekitty wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:01 pm Update:

Mackie, that kitchen sounds beyond disgusting. The first thought I always have is....do they do that stuff in their own home?

I have planted some garden, tomatoes, bell peppers and beets so far in the garden plot at dads and cantaloupe, spinach, lettuce and radishes in pots here at home and in the pumpkin patch area some blue pumpkins' and some of these squatty looking orange pumpkins that I had saved seeds from. I really want to plant some blue hubbard squash but might have run out of space. I have something in mind ,so we shall see.

Dear God I just turned on the news and a mass shooting at an elementary school in Texas. Sweet Lord this needs to stop.
JCKitty
KItty,

I was watching a binge of Grace and Frankie and then turned over to CNN for Jake Tapper's show. The school is an elementary school and 14 elementary kids and 1 teacher were murdered by an 18-year old gunman.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Tucker Carlson and the GQP's talking point about the "Great Replacement" of white people when I saw this in the NBC news article:

"The school serves second through fourth grades in a city that's nearly half non-English speaking, according to the U.S. Census Bureau."

The town is 83 miles west of San Antonia, so in Clem and Penny's neck of the woods (in comparison to the rest of us). Abbot was SO EXCITED to sign his bill that says there is no need for background checks or anything, just go out and buy a gun in TExas!! On Twitter he was moaning sometime ago that California sold more guns that Texas and he encouraged Texas to "step up it's game." Meaning, Texans needed to buy more guns. I hope ABBOTT is obliterated in the Governor's race by Beto O'Rourke. This is horrifying and one more reason I left the gun loving culture of the USA and remain happily ensconced in gun-controlled, universal health care CANADA. Sigh. Those poor little babies. Just like Sandy Hook and Marjorie Douglas Stoneman. Too many children gone to early graves due to another ANGRY WHITE MAN. Don't any one try to blame mental illness. This is ANGER not mental illness.

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

In this case I believe the shooter was Hispanic.

Penny