Daily Check-in May 25, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check-in May 25, 2022

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,

The tragic shooting out of Tx is horrible. Lots of prayers being said this morning as DS starts his new job and my Dad will be under going Prostate surgery shortly. Mom texted that he was just taken back 10 minutes ago.

I continue eating from home most of the time, not driving too many places. I did change flip on my AC, but it has not run yet, so I have the balcony door open and the ceiling fan going. we are expecting 80 F and rain/humidity. I don't think we have had as much rain as Jackie, but we have enough that I am ready to send it to where it is more needed.

So far I had a text from DS2 asking if I had his Birth cert and SSN card. Nope, he has it. I have a copy of his BC, he asked for a picture of it. I told him to take his passport for citizenship proof. While I had the fire safe open I checked my passport. It expires in 2027.

Then Mom texted that Dad was taken back to the OR for his Prostate cancer surgery. So I will be watching my texts today.

Have a great one,
Maggie
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check-in May 25, 2022

Post by floridacatlover »

Hello friends.

Maggie, I just said a prayer for your dad. I don’t know if it is the same surgery but my uncle had prostrate surgery and did very well for many years - has since died but it was completely unrelated. Good luck to your DS. Send the rain here.

I slept well but only because I took a sleeping pill. I am so sad but mostly very angry about the school shooting in Texas. I have zero confidence that anything will change. People love their guns too much and in fact I’m sure this will prompt a buying spree.

Biggest thing on my agenda today is coloring my hair. First I’ll go to Publix and pick up some sale and other items. On Sunday I called in two Rx to the other Publix and they may be ready today but I’ll wait until tomorrow to pick them up.

This month I bought gas twice totaling $70 but for the first five months I’m still below my $40 monthly budget. My average is $37.50 and I won’t have to buy gas in June (taking Uber to and from the airport).

Have a good day.
Last edited by floridacatlover on Wed May 25, 2022 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Good morning, friends. Maggie, thinking of you as you wait for news of your dad.

It is cooler and overcast today. I have a lot on my to-do list.

My Hope dog is missing her companion and I miss her too but am happy that she got to go camping and have fun. I have to wonder how much DD enjoyed Lucy's 5 a.m.-ish wake up call.

It is another sad day in our country. Let us do all the good we can where we are - it might not seem like we can do much or make a difference - but I believe we can - one little thing at a time.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning

I went to bed extra early last night. I could not listen or read anymore of the tragic incident we had here in Texas.

I was up before 7. Those poor families. Life will never be the same.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

FloridaCat, that is such a wise observation, that people love their guns too much. If only they could see the big picture and love other people's children more.

So far this morning I have been busy putting in repair orders, mostly for other people. The online interview I had to sit in on was canceled this morning, so that's a relief. Still have one this afternoon. Basically they need a group of employees to sit in, listen to the potential new hire's responses and fill out a questionnaire after interviewing a candidate.

Yesterday I spent money: After work I got my hair cut ($24 after the tip) and then went to Publix in the same shopping center to pick up a few things. A large cantaloupe, a small container of cottage cheese and a can of Heinz cream of tomato soup came to $10 -- holy cow! The soup is admittedly an indulgence as it's a British brand but I love it because it does not taste tinny.

Earlier yesterday morning, I was reading Next Door Digest and one of our neighbors who is a foster for a cat rescue was asking for people to donate items from the rescue's Amazon page, as the rescue runs entirely out the fosters' homes and off donations. So I spent $29 on cat kibble. And then I noticed a mama cat and her kittens that were up for adoption.

Cue the drumroll: I put in an application to adopt the mama. She is lovely and her personality seems like she would be a great companion for our old cat. I think the only sticking point may be our dogs. So we'll see. Her adoption fee is $100 (if we are approved), but she'll come spayed, with all her shots and flea treatment.

I hope everyone has a safe day. Hugs all around.
Mackie
casadekitty

Post by casadekitty »

Hello all,
Went to bed emotional and upset over those poor babies and their families in Texas. I had to pray myself to sleep and then had weird dreams, not bad just weird.
Sheila, you are right we need to do what good we can where we are at. Right now I am feeling numb but I will think on it and do something.
I have a to-do list but no mo-jo. I will get busy here in a bit. I need to water and groom plants.
Yesterday the oldest grand that works at the greenhouse-landscaping company brought me the most beautiful hanging basket. It is hanging in a pine tree and is just gorgeous. My front seating area looks like a haven right now. I would love to go out and have my coffee out there but it rained overnight as predicted and everything is wet. It's okay I can see it from the door.
I have a goldfinch that keeps coming and perching on the sunroom window and then pecking on the glass. I have plenty of feeders out for him but he insists on letting me know he is there. My cats know he is there and keep trying to talk back to him.
I need to do some kitchen work and vacuum floors, DD's dog is white and he sheds more than mine. I can see white hairs....they need to go.
Off to try to get something done, if not...oh well.
JCKitty