Daily Check In May 26, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
casadekitty

Re: Daily Check In May 26, 2022

Post by casadekitty »

Update:
I stayed in the house until 3 PM, actually took a short nap and when I woke up the sun was blazing and the temps were going up....so I went out and finished the fallen tree, including hauling the wood in the gator
I would love to get one more chunk off the stump but I only have a 24 inch bar and it is just too thick unless I do some creative carving.
DD stopped after work and didn't say anything but I saw her shaking her head at me....LOL Hey its not being on the ladder so it's all good
I had her bring her dogs blankie to me because he tries to lay beside my bed and that doesn't fly with my dog. That's his place and he will let you know. He's old but can still voice his displeasure with a Scottie dog "arraough" which is funny to listen to but not at bedtime.

I took a hot epson salt bath and dressed in clean jammies...relaxing now as I have the littles tomorrow.
JCKItty
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Jackielou wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:56 pm I see you are following our oldest DS on Twitter.
Yes. I have been following him since the trucker convoy. He really is good at what he does and was very eloquent in what he said related to the shooting.
Hope has a good imagination.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Jackielou wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:22 pm Hubby's Aunt was in the order of The Sister's of Charity of the Immaculate Heart and did most of the cooking for various hospitals here in the west and for the Mother House in New Brunswick. She entered the convent very young in 1935 and died in their retirement home in 2017. Doing the math I realized she had been a Sister for 82 years! Amazing.

His sister belonged to the Faithful Companions of Jesus for 20 years and left about 15 years ago.
My Aunt Lil was a nun for 65 years. She was in different convents and teaching positions from Red Deer, Edmonton and Ottawa. Those are the ones I know about. She particularly liked Ottawa as she loved speaking French and Le Soers de la Sagesse (Daughters of Wisdom) was a Francophone Order. Almost everyone was bilingual except for a few of the more elderly nuns I met some 30 years ago at the convent in Ottawa.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:51 pm My Aunt Lil was a nun for 65 years. She was in different convents and teaching positions from Red Deer, Edmonton and Ottawa. Those are the ones I know about. She particularly liked Ottawa as she loved speaking French and Le Soers de la Sagesse (Daughters of Wisdom) was a Francophone Order. Almost everyone was bilingual except for a few of the more elderly nuns I met some 30 years ago at the convent in Ottawa.
I am sorry for your loss.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

HappyDaze wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:00 pm I am sorry for your loss.
Thank you Sheila. I am the one niece/nephew who was closest to her and visited her the most and spent time at the convent, like a week or so at a time. I will miss her "Nun" ways and how she would treat me like her kid when I got back to the convent after 9 pm. She'd meet me at the top of the stairs in her housecoat and curlers and give me the what for! She was quite the aunt. Very intelligent and capable

MJ
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

floridacatlover wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:41 pm And what do you recommend that we do? Don’t you know that most on the forum, including Patty, are totally frustrated by U.S. gun laws and we vote in every election? Personally it feels like rubbing salt in the wound when you repeat again today your glowing rundown of Canada’s gun laws. You do fail to mention that assault weapons were not banned until 2020 after a Nova Scotia shooting rampage that killed 22. In a parliamentary system it is so much easier, in my opinion, to change the law quickly. President Biden would do the same if he could but that is not how our system works.
Florida,

As a "dualy" who has one foot in the USA and one foot in CANADA, i try to keep perspective that the USA **IS** very different when it comes to the Constitution and the 2nd Amendment and how the NRA and gun lobbyists have fetishized guns for their political purposes and have elevated that to the TOP concern for electing some of their representatives. That's a foundation of the USA. A lot of other countries, like UK and Australia where they have banned almost all guns, don't seem to understand that has what occurred, the misappropriation of the 2nd Amendment for political gain and, quite frankly, the money that comes from the NRA, gun manufacturers and gun lobbyists. The GOP has discovered their pot of gold and it always comes with a gun.

I see that the forum understands that our members are frustrated and support sane gun regulation. I think, after watching and reading so much since Buffalo, that the things that can be done at home by people at home who think the same are:

1. Increase the age of ability to buy any and all guns
2. Universal background checks. No buying without background checks at a garage sale, gun show or off of
Craig's list or whatever. Everyone should have a background check.
3. All gun owners should have to have a license to own a firearm and only qualify for it after extensive
training that has to be recertified every 10 years (I think that's a good number of years as weapons
can change as can ammunition during that time frame).
4. Increase "red flag" laws and WHO they apply too. So many of these shooters of these mass atrocities
have been angry white young men. Increasing the age of ability to purchase along with increased red flag
laws to apply to MORE people of questionable mental stability or emotional stability (the anger thing!).
5. Once on a red flag list you become no longer eligible to own a weapon of any kind. This "works" for
people who have done time and considered felons. They are no longer able to own guns. Those on
a red flag list should be forbidden to own guns for the rest of their lives too.

President Obama tried to do something about gun regulations. He had Mitch McConnell. President Biden has been trying to get something done about gun laws. He has Mitch McConnell. Every time I hear some IDIOT (usually a GQP) say, "Well why aren'y the Democrats doing anything? They have the Presidency, the House of Representatives and the Senate!" No. We don't. We have Kirsten Sinema, Joe Manchin and again, Mitch McConnell. Until those three people can see that life is worth more than their power and bank accounts and NRA money? I am as frustrated and angry as you.

Canada is not a perfect country but you are coreect on one thing for certain, if Joe Biden had the authority that a majority Parliament could give him? Gun regulation would have been done in Month one. Again, that's not how it works. All countries come to make comments on the USA and is mass shooting massacres that occur all too frequently but they haven't lived in or seen how guns have become a fetish with the GQP and the insurrectionists and those afraid of "being replaced." The USA has a very unique culture and it goes back to the Revolution and how the Constitution was written so that the USA would always remain free from England's grasp again. That's over 244 years of some kind of historical "paranoia" on guns and militias that have been swayed this past century by the NRA (founded in 1871) and the current gun lovers and those who fetishize guns. It's a terrible thing to have to see in our own country. BUT we continue to vote and have hope that this can be changed.

I continue to vote in USA elections so that I CAN make a difference and I know the USA gals on the forum feel the same.

MJ