Daily Check in May 27, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
chocolite

Re: Daily Check in May 27, 2022

Post by chocolite »

floridacatlover wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:04 pm Many of us have raw emotions.

I apologize to Creative for snapping at her about her comments on Canada’s gun laws.

I am a troublemaker and hothead and I apologize to all of you.

Only one week until my trip. I’m taking a break until then.

(Best of luck to Mackie and her new kitty. ❤️❤️❤️)
Big hugs, B. (((Florida Cat Lover)))
Patty
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

It has been a good day - busy. I walked to the thrift store, found 2 summer tops and two very nice picture frames. I'm working on a photo gallery wall in my bedroom, it is too plain with nothing on the walls.

I walked seemingly forever to a different neighborhood looking for a big moving sale...in the rain. The sale was in the house. I didn't buy anything but had a lovely conversation with the daughter and son-in-law of the gentleman who had lived there. The man recently passed and they are selling everything, including the house. They were such nice people. I expressed my condolences and commented that the home is lovely and they gave me a tour. Oh, the layout and the charm of that house - I really liked it - and was blessed to meet those nice people.

Went to the hardware store and got spray paint for the (curbside freebie) wicker shelf in my garage. It needs some TLC and then will go in my (nearly empty) dining room to hold plants, etc. Excited to finish that project!! The hardware store is new in town and the employees were so friendly - very refreshing!

The rain continues. Not sure what I will do with the rest of my day. I want a project, but not the painting one - it is still raining and I don't want to use spray paint inside the garage, even with the doors and windows open.

Quiet around here - dd and her so are still camping - glad they brought Lucy back though. Maybe I will make a cup of tea and read my book. I recently bought 2 (used, free to me on Amazon) books by MIchael Gill Gates - "How Starbucks Saved My Life" and "How to Save Your Own Life". I am done the first one - highly recommend.

Hope you all have a blessed afternoon and evening.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

chocolite wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:12 pm I sent a donation to an organization to create/promote common sense gun laws. It's what I can do for now and, yes, I felt a tad bit better afterwards. I so wish I could get out for a walk...I took that ability for granted my whole life.
Patty, I used to take walking for granted too - until I couldn't do it anymore. Fortunately, it was only for 5 or 6 months that I couldn't get out and about. My knee is not the same but I am blessed to have use of it again.

I'm glad you were able to make that donation and feel better.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I agree with Maggie and Mackie. No apology is needed.

We are different countries. Our voting system is different, our system of governance is different (our founders WANTED vigorous disagreement and discussion before any changes were made), and the wording of our constitution is different.

I agree that these are trying and painful and emotional times. However as someone who has actually LIVED in multiple countries, I can assure you they were not "better" they were just "different". In general we and Canada have the most freedoms of any western country, and that "free" part is what affects the gun issue.

While other countries dont have gun deaths, they have financial inequality, church abuse as great or not greater than ours, financial instability and their own infighting (Hello, the EU and England).

Im a veteran, the wife of a veteran, the sister in law of a veteran and the daughter of one. I would happily serve to defend this country, but not to appease another one as we need to get our ducks in a row, and start treating all countries equally. I mean, I am in pain for Ukraine. But where were we in Yemen or a dozen other places.

I am not ashamed of this country, I do think changes need to be made, and i believe that the first change is opening our ears to everyone as hard as that is for me to say.
casadekitty

Post by casadekitty »

Update:
The littles have gone home and I am just trying to relax, going to make me a cappuccino and call it a day.
Because of the weather we didn't get any outside time and I really miss it. All day has seemed like it was going to cut lose raining at any moment but it didn't...the air was so heavy.

Tomorrow I have to do floors, between kids and pets...wow they get messy fast.
The oldest grand that works at the greenhouse brought home 4 beautiful rose plants 2 for me and 2 for them....they were going to throw them away and they look better that most I have seen in other places :? The owner just does not use his brain sometimes and is so wasteful, they don't put anything on sale, they would rather just throw stuff away. The grands know I have a green thumb for the most part so they rescue things and we bring it back to life.
So I need to plant 2 rosebushes and do floors tomorrow, plus the usual house chores, I think the SiL is going to mow at home and here. I am so glad he likes to mow :lol:
Off to relax and make a grocery list, IF I can make it till Tuesday or hopefully Wednesday I will be so glad as I do not want to go anywhere over the Holiday weekend except the cemeteries and to see family. I have plenty of food to choose from and can always make substitutions.

JCKitty
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

Oye vey! I love to hear from friends, especially ones I have not talked to for awhile. But the two I talked to today are talkers. I could barely get a word in edgewise, especially with the one I have not talked to for awhile. After 30 minutes of non-stop dialog my ears were ringing LOL! But it's a 3 day weekend and it's quiet with DS being down sick so I am just chilling. I may do some more surveys later after I have rested and read the paper.

I love slow quiet days and they will be over as of Tuesday. But the yard duty gig is only until June 24 then all the schools will be closed for a few weeks. Hooray! After that? Who knows....just wait and see. My A/C should be paid off by then so that will take some pressure off working. In the meantime I am watching 2 shows on Netflix.....Startrek Deep Space 9 and Ozark. Have I mentioned how much I love streaming TV? So glad I cut the cord years ago.

Well I am off to read the paper and do some puzzles.

Bev