Daily Check in May 27, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LogicsHere

Re: Daily Check in May 27, 2022

Post by LogicsHere »

Hi all.

Was up at 4:00 this morning after about 7 hours of sleep, so feeling pretty good still. Did the household chores for the day which was laundry, everything put away and bed made up. Ran out to the grocery store to pick up a few more items for the next few days. My grocery budget this month is only $9 under my regular set budget. I looked back at the months Jan - April and starting with April my expenditures increased by about $30 to $40; still under budget as I said, but I know I can still do better.

Worked on some Sudoku puzzles earlier this morning and played some games on Pogo. When I'm finished with my post, I will be going to read for awhile.

Dinner tonight is spaghetti with a side of green beans.

Well, I'm off. Have a great day.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Salut mes amis!

I was up at 8 am, had my pills and after the wait, a cheese sandwich for breakfast. I mentioned a few days ago I had gotten a cold while babysitting Charlee and sitting out on the deck while it was cool. It was SO NICE to be able to do that though! After breakfast, I coughed. It was a very "telling" cough. I get pleurisy and bronchitis at the drop of a hat. This? This was the STAB you behind the sternum cough of the early signs of bronchitis. I am hunkering down, drinking lots of warms stuff and taking as many naps as required today. I'd hate to have to drag myself back to the walk-in clinic and wait for another 3 hours to get antibiotics. I have an inhaler at home (or two!) due to my getting is so often. I'll use that if necessary and hope I can head it off from getting full force bronchitis. I did a COVID-19 test and it came up negative.

I had wanted to go to the bank today but that's not going to happen. Friday is my day for a good lunch at the Food bank and also to pick-up my bread and croissants and other bread goodies they may have. Rats phooey! I might make spaghetti for lunch. Something warm anyway.

Wednesday, while at the Clinic, I took a couple of books to look through while waiting. One had what sounded like an interesting recipe to try out. It was Southern Almonds Sweet Tea. I stopped at Sobeys and found they had a big box of tea bags on sale SUPER cheap so I got those. I made the recipie last night. It's good but I need to doctor is down quite a bit on the amount of sugar and I think I could do completely without the almond flavor! LOL Which seems to be the point of the tea but it also has lemon juice and vanilla in it. I liked that part! I can't drink black tea full strength but can drink iced tea which, in CANADA, is basically Kool-aid flavored like tea. I figure with all my newly acquired tea bags, I can make sun tea and whip up my own iced tea for the summer. That was my big frugal though anyway. Heck, I'll probably have tea for next summer too! :mrgreen:

Well, since I am moaning about the house and trying not to cough, I'll be doing not much today. The dishwasher needs loading and I might get around to taking the bleach cleaner to the front of my appliances and the counter tops but can't see me getting too excited to force myself to do anything.

I hope everyone else stay health, enjoys the long weekend and tries to make it to the Memorial Day Ceremonies if you can. We always went as kids. We'd go to the one in Luverne, MN, our home town, and then we'd go to the grave of my Dad's Best Friend from high school, Orville Wulf. I've written about him before. He went into Hiroshima for reconnaisance a few days after they dropped the bomb and he died of radiation poisoning within the year. We'd always go to the very small cemetery in Beaver Creek, MN, and stand on the hilltop near Orville's grave with his Mom and Dad, Gladys and Date Wulf and remember the young life of Orville cut too short. I hope everyone tried to make a ceremony or remembers all and maybe someone special to you who served and gave their life in service.

That's the skinny from around here,

MJ
In Flanders Fields
BY JOHN MCCRAE

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
Hope has a good imagination.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

I am not having a good day. Actually, it's been a bad week. My emotions are just raw. Today I got a call from a friend saying that the Southern Baptist Church's list of abusers has come out, so like an idiot, I click on a story and then click on the list. Omg. 200+ pages of "ministers" who have sexually abused children, church members, their own children. I'm so angry I can't see straight. This on top of Uvalde is just too much. I've always been a very patriotic person, I am known to tear up at the Pledge of Allegiance for God's sake. But this is just too much. I'm ashamed, deeply ashamed, of what our country has become. My hope for a better future feels completely depleted.
Patty
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

chocolite wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:25 pm I am not having a good day. Actually, it's been a bad week. My emotions are just raw. Today I got a call from a friend saying that the Southern Baptist Church's list of abusers has come out, so like an idiot, I click on a story and then click on the list. Omg. 200+ pages of "ministers" who have sexually abused children, church members, their own children. I'm so angry I can't see straight. This on top of Uvalde is just too much. I've always been a very patriotic person, I am known to tear up at the Pledge of Allegiance for God's sake. But this is just too much. I'm ashamed, deeply ashamed, of what our country has become. My hope for a better future feels completely depleted.
yes - there was a big story on that in the NYTimes. Big hug to you.

I can't stop reading about the school.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

chocolite wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:25 pm I am not having a good day. Actually, it's been a bad week. My emotions are just raw. Today I got a call from a friend saying that the Southern Baptist Church's list of abusers has come out, so like an idiot, I click on a story and then click on the list. Omg. 200+ pages of "ministers" who have sexually abused children, church members, their own children. I'm so angry I can't see straight. This on top of Uvalde is just too much. I've always been a very patriotic person, I am known to tear up at the Pledge of Allegiance for God's sake. But this is just too much. I'm ashamed, deeply ashamed, of what our country has become. My hope for a better future feels completely depleted.
Patty, there is nothing I can say to make you feel better. I am sorry - or not - but I have felt that way about this country since I was a teenager. I will not fly the flag, will not stand for the pledge, etc. "We" as a society think we are so great and so superior - we are not, obviously. We think that God is on "our side " and that we have so much to be so stinking proud of...really???

Yes, I realize that, because I was lucky enough to be born here, I can say these things, and yes, I am thankful for our freedom that has been hard won by innocent people. I am proud of THEM for defending us and that is all I am proud of.

When my son was in his last year of high school and talked of joining the military I told him flat out that I would disown him if he did that. I am not willingly sending one of my own to die for this country. Then I gave the recruiter a piece of what was left of my feeble mind and told him exactly what I thought of his "career choice" and of George Bush and of this nation in general. He then told my son he would have no further contact with him. Mission accomplished.

I don't know if this will help but how I try to keep going and make it better is by doing what little I can to make a difference right where I live - from volunteering at the food pantry to donating to local organizations, to helping someone in line at the grocery store who is a little short on what they need to pay, to giving a smile to a stranger. That, and our votes - that's all we've got.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Many of us have raw emotions.

I apologize to Creative for snapping at her about her comments on Canada’s gun laws.

I am a troublemaker and hothead and I apologize to all of you.

Only one week until my trip. I’m taking a break until then.

(Best of luck to Mackie and her new kitty. ❤️❤️❤️)