CD rates, stock market, housing (buying homes) food and staples

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Re: CD rates, stock market, housing (buying homes) food and staples

Post by HappyDaze »

clemencia2us wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:45 pm true much harder in rural communities.

We are lucky that our congressperson set up this small transit bus. They stop at the housing units, stores, post office, city hall and take the passengers to the "big" stores in the bigger town. Big grocery store and Walmart, the hospital and other clinics.
We have something similar here - i have never figured out how it all works. I know I would if I had to.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:18 pm I'm sorry if the question was poorly phrased; it wasn't a lack of empathy or compassion, it was simple curiosity born of 1) being told it's cheaper to Uber than to own, by folks all in cities in the northeast and in Europe, and of a short time spent in NYC and in NJ eons ago (1988-1992) when public transportation was cheap. That, and I really had zero fun in the traffic in the area - if I had to live there I'd love to leave the driving to someone else. The friend who lived in Queens then didn't get that we 'had' to have one - but at the time, ex-H and I lived in smaller-town NC, a place just not meant for walking or bicycling anywhere. Walkability score of 24, even lower outside city limits.

My former Aunts-In-Law lived in Newark, NJ without cars - granted that was in the 1970s to 2000ish, before one moved to Tom's River and her husband bought a car; they have since switched over (health issues that impact driving) and rely completely on acquaintances who do drive and on transportation provided by some kind of van service, my former MIL, who lives in the southeast and also does not drive (her hubby passed and when she moved to be near a child she sold her car), is a little fuzzy on how they worked out the van service. The one still in Newark is in her 80s and is better with tech than I am, she has the Uber app and uses it all the time. Kind of scares me given her age, but she says she loves it, so more power to her. The older I get the less I want anything to do with a car.

If owning works better for your Sis, I hope she finds a vehicle that suits her. Maybe by the time she's ready to buy the market will have calmed down a little.
My mom drove to age 88 and voluntarily gave up her license and keys to the car.
Last edited by LogicsHere on Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Sandi, I still may be driving at 80 who knows. But I have given my daughter key authority in my most recent document update. The biggest car issue for me woukd not be local independence, but the cross country vacation and exploration issue. We were a one car family for years with me driving hubby if I wanted the car and I did that once a week at the most and lived a full life with kids in multiple activities. I would be like your other friend and just call an Uber, have them on speed dial .
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

My landscape people came last Friday and one put a big pitch on me to buy my car (I downsized a couple of years ago to a cute little 2-door since there's very rarely more than the two of us and I'm "over" gas guzzling SUV's). This one gets 35 mpg. We don't drive for entertainment like many of our friends, thank goodness.

My home, cars are paid for. I have no credit card debt. Our eating habits are constantly shifting (my food shopping seems to be costing less these days because of it; soon we may be vegetarians; I keep the freezers full and rotate regularly). Investments are pretty well situated and bank accounts are about as good as they can currently be.
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

MackerelCat wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:13 pm Has anyone else noticed unusual cuts of meat showing up in the grocery store? The only thing marked down at our local store was a package of three thick little beef steaks, each a little smaller than my hand with the thumb folded in, marked as Denver Steaks.

I have never heard of such a cut of meat before. They were nicely marbled and the price was $5, so I bought the package. The internet gave differing opinions on how to cook a Denver Steak, but agreed it is a specialty cut one is unlikely to see outside a butcher shop.

We don't eat steak as steak at home because cuts of meat have to stretch a lot farther than that. I cut the steaks into hearty chunks and cooked the chunks in a skillet with a little oil, a diced onion, lots of little sliced sweet peppers, portobello mushrooms, some garlic, seasonings and black pepper.

In another skillet, I sautéed some rice and cooked it with some beef broth and a can of store brand Rotel tomatoes. Served the beef, peppers and onions over the rice, kind of like fajitas over rice. It was a huge hit and made a good bit of delicious leftovers.

The package of steaks was originally priced at $9.97. Now I am wondering if our little Food Lion received some markdowns from a much fancier FL store? It was the only package or I would gallop back and buy more.
That sounds delicious! My tastes have changed SO much over the last couple of years that it's ridiculous. I have come to adore stir fries (I use the low carb pasta rather than rice) and veggies. I keep steaks in the freezer (bought when whole Ribeyes or whole New York Strips are on sale for $5.99 a pound, cut and wrapped free). I no longer buy whole chickens but stick with boneless/skinless breasts and thighs. I keep a few pounds of ground beef. I get roasts when on sale, usually Chuck and Boston Butt.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I was going to comment on Mackie’s Christian Science Monitor story. Can’t find her link now but I read it earlier and it is good.

I have all of moms money in cds so I’m looking forward to higher rates. My IRA money does have a lot of stock which is now way down but I have some of it in a money market and one of my funds is called Target Retirement Income which has only 30% stock and the rest in bonds and treasury bills so it should do well.

A comment about Uber having ridden twice recently. When I asked the chatty driver how gas was impacting him, of course he said a lot. But he also said 60 Uber drivers in this area quit recently because of Ubers new driver $ cutbacks. He did say that many of them now drive for Lift (which I’ve never tried). But he also said drivers are being more selective of which rides they accept. In our area airport and beaches because bigger tips. I wonder if it would be hard to get a Uber just to the grocery store.