CD rates, stock market, housing (buying homes) food and staples

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Grannysewstoys

Re: CD rates, stock market, housing (buying homes) food and staples

Post by Grannysewstoys »

For groceries until you are cleared to drive, is use delivery. It is great for those that can't drive.

Grocery shopping will wear you out at first. It is money well spent.

Consider it a non reimbursed medical expense.

Grocery delivery is not a luxury for you right now, it will be a necessity for several weeks.

in addition to the stores service, there are companies that do your shopping and the delivery.

I use my stores service I know other shoppers that use insta-cart.

Penny
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

Does anyone here have any Crypto accounts? I have two and for awhile they were going like runaway horses. Now? Not so much. I intended to ask this in my other post and forgot.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Quilter51 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:55 am Sandi, I still may be driving at 80 who knows. But I have given my daughter key authority in my most recent document update. The biggest car issue for me woukd not be local independence, but the cross country vacation and exploration issue. We were a one car family for years with me driving hubby if I wanted the car and I did that once a week at the most and lived a full life with kids in multiple activities. I would be like your other friend and just call an Uber, have them on speed dial .
DH's grandpa (he of "if you watch your pennies, the dollars take care of themselves" fame ;)), once he and his wife could no longer safely drive, toured with other older folks by chartered bus; said they saw a lot of amazing things that way and still got enough sleep while on vacation.

His daughter, my MIL, lives here, she and her sister who lives in CA go visit family all over the place via Amtrak. They love it. Say it's cheaper than airfare, and the last time MIL drove to see anyone she totaled a car AND got ticketed (driving too close to the folks in front of her) so now she goes by train even if her sis skips the trip.

Neither of them has any frugal inclinations, so when MIL says 'cheaper than airfare,' I don't know if she's comparing first class or coach to... whatever options trains have. The only train I've ever been on that wasn't a subway or an elevated intracity thing was in Europe.

With the price of fuel now I would have thought they'd spend more time at home but, no, they're out in the PNW now.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

LogicsHere wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:09 am My mom drove to age 88 and voluntarily gave up her license and keys to the car.
I think my mom would like to give up driving, whenever she and her friends go out it's usually someone else (the guy who volunteers most is a guy in his mid-70s) who offers to take her and a lady in the group who is in her late 80s. He took them both to their cataract surgeries around 5 a.m. each time, he's a sweetheart.

But when it comes to a quick grocery or dentist or shopping run, she drives herself. I can tell it's not very often because she doesn't know the current price of gas there. Wow is she in for a shock when she finally has to fill up!
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I am actually one of those people who is a really good driver. I learned in a five on the floor and was taught how to drive in the city and roundabouts and did my internship twice on the autobahn. I have not had an accident of any kind in almost forty years (my fault or anyone else's). The only speeding ticket I have is going 80 on the I 90 in MOntana and I swear to god the only reason the guy stopped me was becasue I had Colorado plates and he was looking for a way to search my car since he spent the entire time he wrote the ticket (which was a whole 25 bucks) rambling on the evils of pot in any of it's forms, lol.

So I am not really concerned about driving although I have always been a sole or with my husband road tripper. I am looking forward to trains. I hate to fly, ive gotten claustrophobic in my senior years, and all thouse thirteen hour flights to Germany and back over the years probably cured me.

So I am exploring new options for travel.

Florida, we are actually Lyft people here, I use Uber as short hand because everyone else does. Our experience is that uber is less kind and employee friendly than Lyft so we use them.

I drive for my social events but I get all my needs include food mainly delivered. If they would just deliver hanging plants for my patio...
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

itspennyc wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:16 pm For groceries until you are cleared to drive, is use delivery. It is great for those that can't drive.

Grocery shopping will wear you out at first. It is money well spent.

Consider it a non reimbursed medical expense.

Grocery delivery is not a luxury for you right now, it will be a necessity for several weeks.

in addition to the stores service, there are companies that do your shopping and the delivery.

I use my stores service I know other shoppers that use insta-cart.

Penny
Penny, is that directed to me?

Yes, I will order groceries online. And I’m going to do a lot of things differently now - easier on myself. Getting a lawn service for moms house is one thing. I can still “play” in the yard but not do all the work.

I admire a lot the simple yet creative life you have put together. I remember how you had to fight to use the van transport service and you didn’t give up and now you use it often and while not perfect it helps you so much.

One thing you have that I don’t have is a great son and daughter but I know you’ve had to live with the tragedy of the loss of your other son. I believe your son in Cali works for Apple. Tell him I’m an Apple girl for life. ( I was sorry when Apple recently announced the end of the iPod. The next day I ordered an iPod touch from Target to have “on hand”)