CD rates, stock market, housing (buying homes) food and staples

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: CD rates, stock market, housing (buying homes) food and staples

Post by floridacatlover »

Quilter51 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:52 pm I am actually one of those people who is a really good driver. I learned in a five on the floor and was taught how to drive in the city and roundabouts and did my internship twice on the autobahn. I have not had an accident of any kind in almost forty years (my fault or anyone else's). The only speeding ticket I have is going 80 on the I 90 in MOntana and I swear to god the only reason the guy stopped me was becasue I had Colorado plates and he was looking for a way to search my car since he spent the entire time he wrote the ticket (which was a whole 25 bucks) rambling on the evils of pot in any of it's forms, lol.

So I am not really concerned about driving although I have always been a sole or with my husband road tripper. I am looking forward to trains. I hate to fly, ive gotten claustrophobic in my senior years, and all thouse thirteen hour flights to Germany and back over the years probably cured me.

So I am exploring new options for travel.

Florida, we are actually Lyft people here, I use Uber as short hand because everyone else does. Our experience is that uber is less kind and employee friendly than Lyft so we use them.

I drive for my social events but I get all my needs include food mainly delivered. If they would just deliver hanging plants for my patio...
Quilter, I’m going to look into Lyft. The Uber guy said similar about Lyft treating drivers better. I gave good tips on both those trips because I know they don’t make a lot. Also good tips to the airport helpers.

On my soapbox about tipping - what irks me are the two plumbers, one the son of the owner, putting in a $1500 water heater and then standing around hoping for a tip which I stupidly gave them ($10 each) knowing that their salaries are probably more than I ever made.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Yea, I don't tip owners of small businesses as a rule. Or professionals. Except for the holiday or end of season thing (like giving my mower and end of season tip in October in Colorado).

The exception here is kids who are starting their own "business"(snow shoveling, lawn mowing, hauling, handyman helper), depending on dependability and the job they do.

Fortunately I dont have most of those now that ive downsized and am in a community. Although I'll be looking for a part time house cleaner soon.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Quilter51 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:52 pm

Florida, we are actually Lyft people here, I use Uber as short hand because everyone else does. Our experience is that uber is less kind and employee friendly than Lyft so we use them.

I drive for my social events but I get all my needs include food mainly delivered. If they would just deliver hanging plants for my patio...
Quilter, I've just been introduced to Lyft (car in the shop ... Long story). So far I've been very pleased with the service. I do tip pretty well ... price of gas has to be a killer, even if drivers get the surcharge.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Sandy wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:24 pm Does anyone here have any Crypto accounts? I have two and for awhile they were going like runaway horses. Now? Not so much. I intended to ask this in my other post and forgot.
Our youngest son dabbled in crypto and got out before things started going south. I think now that the conspiracy people are saying that crypto is part of the Great Reset idea more and more people are shying away from it.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

I try to not look at any of our retirement accounts because, except for one small 403b account, we have lost many, many thousands. Ugh. The good news is we don't plan on needing to access any of them for at least ten years, although that could certainly change. It's scary.

I do plan on socking some money into US savings bonds. The I bond is currently paying 9.62% interest. It's like pulling teeth to get my DH to sit down and talk about money. His eyes glaze over and he says 'I'll think about it' which means nothing gets done until I bring it up again. Wash, rinse, repeat. :-/ Ugh.
Patty
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

Jackielou wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:17 am Our youngest son dabbled in crypto and got out before things started going south. I think now that the conspiracy people are saying that crypto is part of the Great Reset idea more and more people are shying away from it.
I turned off my miners. When the price starts going up again...which it will...I'll turn the entire bank on again.