Best way to cook turnips?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

Best way to cook turnips?

Post by SandiSAHM »

Had an overage of fresh eggs from the lady with chickens, gave them away and got cute little - between ping-pong and billiard ball size - turnips in return.

I've never cooked a turnip. Do I *have* to cook them? Can I grate them and toss them in oil & vinegar instead? Stick them in salad?

I remember one of my aunts doing something with them but can't remember anything past a roasting pan.

Anyone have any favorite turnip dishes?
MackerelCat

Re: Best way to cook turnips?

Post by MackerelCat »

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/slideshow/turnip-18-recipes-underrated-root-vegetable

I personally don't like turnips because I've only had them boiled, but they look like they'd be very good peeled and roasted with other root vegetables as well.
Mackie
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

From what I've read, you can eat raw turnips, but the smaller the better. So yours might work well.

Turnips are good as part of a roasted vegetable dish.

Something else that might work — a carrot/turnip mash. Simmer the veggies until tender, then prepare them like mashed potatoes. I do this with rutabaga, though I usually have to microwave the rutabaga for a bit because it takes forever to cook otherwise.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

we would eat them raw.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I like them cut in half and roasted in the oven with some olive oil, salt and pepper. I've made them this way and then diced up leftovers and cooked them like breakfast potatoes - definitely not the same as home fries but not bad.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

We have found we really like them grilled.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/