Best way to cook turnips?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ownedbydogs

Re: Best way to cook turnips?

Post by ownedbydogs »

SandiSAHM wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:52 pm Had an overage of fresh eggs from the lady with chickens, gave them away and got cute little - between ping-pong and billiard ball size - turnips in return.

I've never cooked a turnip. Do I *have* to cook them? Can I grate them and toss them in oil & vinegar instead? Stick them in salad?

I remember one of my aunts doing something with them but can't remember anything past a roasting pan.

Anyone have any favorite turnip dishes?
Husband would peel them and eat raw like an apple
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Jackielou wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:18 am We have found we really like them grilled.
I'll have to mention that to DH ... he's experimenting with grilling veggies.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

~ Half of these are getting grilled; the other half roasted with some other root vegetables and a mix of chard, onion, and this funny little green that we got a seed packet in the mail from a disaster relief place, it's reportedly a Japanese green that's super heat / drought tolerant and tastes, when raw, a little like a dandelion green. Everything but the turnips DH grew in the backyard.

Thanks for the ideas! If we get more, I think I'm going to grate them and do the olive oil and vinegar thing, works with nearly everything else, so why not.