Daily Check in June 21, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Prairie Waif2

Re: Daily Check in June 21, 2022

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

chocolite wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:20 pm

Temps here are hovering right around 100° this week. I got out yesterday, because it was going to be the coolest day of the next seven. I was going stir crazy in this house. So I went through the Walgreens drive through to pick up a prescription, filled up my tank (ouch!), went to the bookstore to take a selfie in front of the shelf where my book would theoretically go (homework for my writing group) – didn’t buy anything though, went through the drive through at Burger King for a Whopper Jr., then took the long way home. It was so nice to just be out and about. I would’ve hung out longer at the bookstore, because they have a café and I wanted to just get an iced coffee and hang out, looking at books/magazines. But the café is on a raised platform in the middle of the store and it’s four steps up to get there. I just didn’t feel like I could navigate it with my walker, so I didn’t try. I’m learning, lol.
When I was using my rollator, for all those months following my spinal cord surgery, I learned to do what I wasn't accustomed to doing, ask for help. Patty, for your coffee at the cafe, I am sure if you had asked staff or even a fellow cusomer, they'd have taken your walker up to the cafe and helped you navigate those stairs. I found people to be so nice and helpful. You should give yourself the chance for that outing to be what all you want it to be and reach out for help. I know you're an independent, free spirited chick, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do!!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Salut mes amis!

Another day of not much around here. I was wandering around in the middle of the night AGAIN. Had a lot of dreams last night. The one lovely one was when my beloved Grandma Georgie and my Aunt Lillian, the Nun who just died, came to visit. It was lovely to open the door and see their smiling faces. I wish I had more dreams like that!

I just finished watching the Hearings on January 6th. I cried for Shaye Moss the elections worker who described how horrible people had gone to her Grandma's house and tried to break in to "make a citizen's arrest" and how trump himself had, by her name, threatened Shaye's mother. And how Shaye felt responsible for ALL of it even though she wasn't. Her Mom said she was scared to give out her name when calling in delivery orders and Shaye said she doesn't give out her name anymore, quit her job, doesn't go to the grocery store and has gained 60 some pounds from the stress of it all. trump went WAY too far with his lies. These are REAL lives that were threatened with death! Craziness. Such craziness that so many are STILL willing to do this evil stuff for trump. What is wrong wtih that people?! Anyhoo. . .It made me cry for that poor woman, her Mom and Grandma.

I'm rather sad today for two reasons: 1) my week with Franki and Cocoa was cancelled. I was so looking to all the fun we all have together. 2) the reason it was cancelled is because Franki's Grandma is now in Palliative Care and Kendall has cancelled their trip. Of course she wants to be there for her Mom. I know how that all goes. I told her that if she needs something for Franki and Cocoa like to go out for a play in the yard, or to be fed, just shout me and there is no charge because that's what friends do for each other. I just feel so bad for her. I don't know how old her Mom is but Kendall is pretty distressed about the whole thing which is easy to see and understand.

AGAIN, I have to unload and load the dishwasher. UGH! Got the counters cleared off a bit and my new oatmeal jars (they are owls!!) all set-up on the counters. I still have to sort out the spices and put them in my cannister set. It's going to be very nostalgic and also fun to see my cannisters again after having been in storage for over 20 plus years. I made them for our wedding 40 years ago this year.

Our temperature had gone down remarkably after that odd day of 100F! Thank heavens! It is now a nice temperature and people are much happier. Like Jackie, we had some rain overnight which also helped clear the air and bring the temperature down.

Not much else happening around here.

That's the skinny!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:59 pm When I was using my rollator, for all those months following my spinal cord surgery, I learned to do what I wasn't accustomed to doing, ask for help. Patty, for your coffee at the cafe, I am sure if you had asked staff or even a fellow cusomer, they'd have taken your walker up to the cafe and helped you navigate those stairs. I found people to be so nice and helpful. You should give yourself the chance for that outing to be what all you want it to be and reach out for help. I know you're an independent, free spirited chick, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do!!

MJ
I just saw a facebook post about a guy in a wheelchair wanting to eat inside a restaurant instead of out - but there was a step.

What he found out is that they can bring out a portable ramp and they did. He ate inside in the comfy temps instead of out in the heat. Wonder if the library would have this?
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

MackerelCat wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:22 pm FloridaCat, if you have to stay another day just to have antibiotics, that's okay. A bloodstream infection that like is serious business. (((Hugs))) But I know it's a huge relief to have that catheter out.
Infectious disease doctor just stopped by. Things are better but I will not be going home tomorrow. But it will be this week. I’m alive so no complaints from me.
mona50

Post by mona50 »

FCL, so glad to hear you are on the mend. Sounds like you are well taken care of in this hospital.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

late check in.

I had a BRAC 1 and BRAC 2 test done and today I got my results. Everything is negative (I have a mom and grandmom who died from ovarian cancer and a grandmother with early onset breast cancer for starts), and my general risk is two percent above the general population but only because of my history, not because of anylab results. My five year for breast cancer thing is two percent. I will nto ignore my history or my health but this was a big "whew!!!" for me!!

Florida, a lifetime ago (literally, my forty something was a toddler), I had a very serious infection from a chip of mirror from one of those mirror square walls when I fell into it that popped up a good week after the fall. Scariest thing ever.

Patty, I am sure I have mentioned this before. But after my fourth fall I went to a class/seminar on falling. Part of it was how not to fall, lol. But the majority was how to accomodate and to ask for help. If someone's steps don't have a railing, ask for them to come out an help you in advance. Take your cane on the subway and train and in movie and drama theaters even if you don't need it because people see it and give you berth and keep an eye out for you. I am not as good at asking as I should be but I have learned to tell people what I need.

Today before my trip (which ended in sonic hotdogs and diet cherry limead) I was painting on fabric and just playing around. I also made a list of measurements and cuts so I would have them in front of me for some basic totes and fabric storage bags and dog bandanas and such I want to make, as soon as I get more interfacting ofr fusible fleece.

I also did some money earnings task. This is the third month that part of my rent will be late simply because of bad math and or not setting things aside. Fortunately the apartment understands, but there are those late fees and I hate it so I am working to pay a second month ahead this month (my payday is the second Wednesday and the fifth is the deadline and I have not looked ahead to see when that would be a problem).

I do have more than enough to live on and have fun and socialize and travel I am just lousy at managing it (what happens when your late husband is a finance fuy who always did it all and you never learned).

All of which to say is once I am caught up the first thign in August I am going to do ishire someone once a month to do the "below my knees" cleaning. I can no longer crouch down, bend and touch my goes or do the bend and reach which means everything else is spotless but the floors and under cabinets and lower fridge are in very very dire need.

Off to do a few constructive things.