Roe v Wade struck down

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ohjodi

Re: Roe v Wade struck down

Post by ohjodi »

I just want to add that the #1 cause of death of pregnant women, in America, is HOMICIDE.

HOMICIDE.

The #1 cause of death of children, in America, is FIREARMS.

Just saying....
ohjodi
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Watching CNN - guess I have to quit living the fantasy Hallmark Channel life ----- :cry:
snowangel729

Post by snowangel729 »

So this news was a bit personal to me. As you all know I am currently pregnant with baby #2. At 10 weeks they notified me that I had a 68% chance of baby having trisomy 13. Trisomy 13 is not compatible with life, the oldest living person with it is 19. They have severe physical and mental issues. Often they die within a few days of being born due to their physical issues, those who survive just have their symptoms mitigated but live pretty miserable lives. When we were told this we were told that our next step would be an amniocentesis to finalize our results and at that point we would have to make a decision regarding baby. Fast forward to 15 weeks, I had to wait a little longer for an appointment due to overcrowding at the high risk doctors office and for asking for a 2nd opinion (first referral dropped my care due to me asking for more time to decide if an amniocentesis was what I wanted). Also an amniocentesis which is 100% cannot be done til 15 weeks.We got in as soon as possible, first scan looked good but I was still worried about having an amniocentesis and worried over risk of miscarriage. So I waited a few weeks for another scan, baby still looked good so I agreed to the amniocentesis at 19 weeks. It takes 2 weeks for the test to come back and my baby is healthy, thank goodness. But I often think about what would happen if it had now... the new laws do not protect medical abortion rights. My child would have been born into a miserable life if I fell under this... how is that fair?
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

snowangel729 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:28 pm So this news was a bit personal to me. As you all know I am currently pregnant with baby #2. At 10 weeks they notified me that I had a 68% chance of baby having trisomy 13. Trisomy 13 is not compatible with life, the oldest living person with it is 19. They have severe physical and mental issues. Often they die within a few days of being born due to their physical issues, those who survive just have their symptoms mitigated but live pretty miserable lives. When we were told this we were told that our next step would be an amniocentesis to finalize our results and at that point we would have to make a decision regarding baby. Fast forward to 15 weeks, I had to wait a little longer for an appointment due to overcrowding at the high risk doctors office and for asking for a 2nd opinion (first referral dropped my care due to me asking for more time to decide if an amniocentesis was what I wanted). Also an amniocentesis which is 100% cannot be done til 15 weeks.We got in as soon as possible, first scan looked good but I was still worried about having an amniocentesis and worried over risk of miscarriage. So I waited a few weeks for another scan, baby still looked good so I agreed to the amniocentesis at 19 weeks. It takes 2 weeks for the test to come back and my baby is healthy, thank goodness. But I often think about what would happen if it had now... the new laws do not protect medical abortion rights. My child would have been born into a miserable life if I fell under this... how is that fair?
Snowangel, first I’m glad that your baby is fine. But I wish that every state legislator and those on the Supreme Court could hear your compelling story. Here in Florida there is now a ban after 15 weeks. That would not have given you enough time for all the tests. Your story I would hope would make even the most ardent right to life person take a deeper look.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Please tell me - does this make the Plan B pill illegal as well?
The one that must be taken within 72 hours after your encounter.

There’s a lot of grey with abortions even though I personally don’t think I ever could have had one. Well past the age now where I have to worry. But what happens to the 12 year old girl who discovers she’s pregnant before even having her first period, and having been abused by a family member. What happens to the husband of a woman expecting a child, late in pregnancy but must decide if the mother or baby will live. The doctor tells him it’s impossible to save both. What happens to a woman raped, not using birth control because she and her partner are trying for another child (worse yet say the rapist is another race. So all of society might get in the act if they do decide as a couple to keep the child. I know my hubby and I were questioned if our children were biological. The woman was very persistent and he just smiled and told her they were both very much loved and taken care of, so why should it matter. She kept persisting so he finally replied- they’re both my girls biologically, through and through. The woman told him she had a hard time believing that because they didn’t look Asian enough!

Creative
snowangel729

Post by snowangel729 »

floridacatlover wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:56 pm Snowangel, first I’m glad that your baby is fine. But I wish that every state legislator and those on the Supreme Court could hear your compelling story. Here in Florida there is now a ban after 15 weeks. That would not have given you enough time for all the tests. Your story I would hope would make even the most ardent right to life person take a deeper look.

I've been on the fence about talking to people about it. I myself am a pro choice person but I don't believe abortion is right for me... but this situation made me see another side and what I would have to do as well as rationalize it with my own morals and values. I remember reading the documents and how I felt that I may have to do something that I wouldn't normally do because I wouldn't want my child to suffer..