Roe v Wade struck down

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Roe v Wade struck down

Post by floridacatlover »

What happens now.

Nancy Pelosi sounds shaken.
Quilter51

Re: Roe v Wade struck down

Post by Quilter51 »

I dunno but I am absolutely furious. How dare they.

We have a supreme court that regularly rules against what the majority of the people want.

Texas is just terrible and they want to both try people who drive and help people get abortions and be able to sue people in other states who provide them. I know the second part will go nowhere, but I said today in my local town group that my car knows it's way to Colorado (where all abortion is protected), and I would be happy to be a test case. I can seen them now, a 70 year old handicapped lady on trial for driving across state lines.

If we needed proof that the Supreme Court needs revamping this is it.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Processing my very mixed feelings on this.

Those opposed to any sort of gun control have said that even so-called common-sense limitations are a "slippery slope". IMHO this is a very icy slope.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I don’t think I’ve ever mentioned this, but I have a personal connection with Justice Alito. I worked with and was friends with his wife Martha in DC. She was dating Sam but I never met him.

When he was nominated to the Supreme Court I got their address from a DC friend and I wrote to Martha. When I knew her, Martha was not political, much more interested in fashion. But when she wrote back to me she had become very bitter against Senate Democrats.

I knew he was very conservative but little did I think this would be a future turn of events.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

.Maggie, I understand the mixed feelings and slippery slope

I see this turning into a class and race issue.Women who can afford to simply get a round trip ticket to Colorado where abortion is protected from texas, pay for a doctor and a hotel for a night or two will be mainly fine. The rape victim or date rate gal who is poor or a high school or college student (and who can least afford to have a kid) will be the ones to suffer.

Things are going to be bad for awhile. and while I am always and consistentlopposed to violence, as someone who has defended more than one Planned Parenthood, I cannot become emotios.nal at the protests that will be coming or the defacing of "pregnancy" centers because it's about time it went both way
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Quilter51 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:42 am .Maggie, I understand the mixed feelings and slippery slope

I see this turning into a class and race issue.Women who can afford to simply get a round trip ticket to Colorado where abortion is protected from texas, pay for a doctor and a hotel for a night or two will be mainly fine. The rape victim or date rate gal who is poor or a high school or college student (and who can least afford to have a kid) will be the ones to suffer.

Things are going to be bad for awhile. and while I am always and consistentlopposed to violence, as someone who has defended more than one Planned Parenthood, I cannot become emotios.nal at the protests that will be coming or the defacing of "pregnancy" centers because it's about time it went both way
yes - the less well off will be the ones that this will affect the most. Even before Roe Vs Wade was made law - wealthy people always found a way.