Daily Check In June 25, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Mrscreative

Re: Daily Check In June 25, 2022

Post by Mrscreative »

Good afternoon beautiful people,

We are having some light drizzle which will go on throughout the day and much cooler temperatures. There’s no need for any AC and that’s a good thing! I usually fertilize my potted plants and vegetables on a Sunday so this light rain is perfect! The fertilizer will be easily absorbed without giving a light watering beforehand.

I did not sleep well last night at all and will be getting up extremely early tomorrow as Dd2 is flying out at 5 am and will be meeting her sister in San Francisco for a holiday after Dd1 is finished with a work related presentation at a conference there. Dd1 is nervous about the presentation, and wanted my encouragement although the subject matter is way over my head! I know she will do fine and just wish she wouldn’t be her own worst critic. So happy that Dd1 and Dd2 are close despite their nine year age difference. I took a look at their Airbnb and it looks very nice and close walking distance to the Golden Gate Bridge and other attractions. Slightly less expensive than a hotel but many more amenities including laundry and cooking facilities.

Glad to not be going anywhere or having to get too much done. I completed two loads of laundry but Dd2 tends to leave things to the last minute so will be needing both the washer and dryer to get caught up.Right now she’s using my car for errands and also has to drop by work to amend “ out of office”. Right now it reads Jan 15 instead of July 15. She’s taking two weeks holidays and some lieu time. So happy she has this trip to look forward to. She downloaded the CanApp this morning and said it’s a very easy process.

Dh and I went for a walk in the mist earlier today to check out a three bedroom bungalow in our neighborhood. Listed at an astronomical price and has already received a conditional offer! Dh was astounded that they could receive anything near that price. I think we will stay in our house even when we need Stair Masters! We saw another house in a newer part of our neighbourhood and the asking price was $1.1 million. Absolutely mind boggling!

I have return letters to write to pen pals and plan to do something with some rhubarb I picked. I may just make a compote, not sure.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Creative
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Today is my youngest granddaughter's 14th birthday! We had a crepe breakfast celebration at their house this morning. She had her pool party with friends last week.
This afternoon we are all off to a graduation party...all outdoors.
Really hot here.
Heading out...have a nice day!
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:36 am Good morning frugal friends.

Florida Cat sorry to hear you have been ill. I will try to play catch up to see what is going on with you. Take care. Sending love and a gentle ((hug)). Your friend, Janet

I have been busy with the solar project. A lot was due to needing to get my basement cleaned out. Some people have had their things stored down there for 17 years.gggrrr There are still things that belong to a nephew in Tennessee. Heaven only knows when he will be here to pick them up. The reason for the clean out was they were going to wrap the duct work. However, they did a whole house energy audit. That was interesting how they conducted that. They found a problem with the northeast bedroom, so they put an insulation blanket over the existing insulation. The only other problem was a leak at the downstairs patio door, and they suggested a door stopper like I have between my utility room door and hallway. They wrapped the water heater. They installed a new thermostat that is so much easier to use. The other one came with the furnace in 2017 and it was hard for me to program. This one hasa symbol that shows up when I am adjusting it to indicate that particular temp is energy saving.

My original company was bought out my ADT. They sent me an email that they were going to upgrade my panels to the newest addition at no cost to me. I must admit that their installation was amazing. I had three crews all swoop in starting around 8:30 AM on Thursday. They all called ahead. They went right to work with two electricians in the basement setting up the battery backup, a crew of two doing the energy audit and then a crew of three outside setting up the panels. About a week ago another crew had been here to set up the poles for the panels. A lot of hard work and not once did I see someone sitting down and doing nothing.

The poor electricians were here from 8:30 AM until 6:30 PM on Thursday. They came back yesterday to work on things from 9:00 AM until 4:30 PM. Yesterday they discussed with me how I wanted the house wired for incase there is a complete shutdown of the system. I will be connected to my local electric company so that I can pull power from them when I am not generating enough for my needs, and they will be pulling from me when I have excess. The thing is if there is a storm, and the grid is down with broken wires I will be cut off of the grid because someone may get electrocuted if my system is still sending out power. I opted to have my fridge only on in the kitchen. I plan on getting a freezer for the garage and it will be wired to stay active with the battery then my bedroom will be my safe zone where I can use a space heater and relocate my microwave to it. Also, I have something like a hot plate for cooking. It is not a hot plate but similar and safer without a coil. I think it is an induction cooker. My sales rep found out the night before the installation that i did not have wi-fi. He was kind enough to go to Walmart and buy one and drop it off the night before. He lives two hours away. All I can say about this whole thing is they have great workers.

Also, about a week ago the guys from another company came to install the trench for the wiring. After they left, I realized I did not have satellite TV. I decided that it was somehow damaged by them digging near the cable for the TV. I called the company and the owner told me to give him10 min and he would call me back. He called me and told me that the guys should be back in 10 min to look at things. They were back and dug up the cable area and found the problem. They offered to pay for all repairs. However, I have a repair plan with my satellite company, and they said it was covered. I wish all companies had the work ethics that these companies have demonstrated.

I am totally wiped out with all of the activity but still happy and excited about what is going on. I am still on regular power because my local utility company needs to come in and connect their system to mine and put in a new meter. That might take a couple more weeks.

I am going to try to get caught up on what has been going on, but it is going to take time. I hope to pop in more often.
Janet, so good to see a post from you. And WOW, that crew and company sound amazing...especially in these times. I'm glad you had such a good experience with them and it was interesting to read about what all they did.
Patty
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Good afternoon all. I've done my short story for the day, #25 out of 30. The end is in sight. I wasn't sure I could do this challenge, but it's been so good for me, disciplining me to write even when I didn't feel much like it. My writing coach always says, If you show up to the page, your story will meet you there, and I believe it.

I have organized my sewing kit. We always toss any little envelopes with buttons or extra thread in the sewing box, and there were scores of them. So I opened them all and put the buttons in the button box, organized my thread, got rid of all the excess snips and bits of thread, and now when I open the lid I can see everything we've got at a glance. Yay. I had to fix a sleeveless nightgown I got from Walmart -- the neckline was way too loose, so I just took it up at the shoulders - two snips and voila, it fits. :-) So I feel ridiculously accomplished for doing that. :-D

I was so sad to hear about the Supreme Court's latest decision. Women will die. Babies will be born into lives of neglect and misery. I'm so upset. I heard that Justice Thomas is saying they need to look at gay marriage next. I want to scream at him, while you're tearing people's lives apart, what about interracial marriage? But of course, that's okay with him. Ugh... I just don't have words.

Today will be a no spend day. We do have a couple of prescriptions ready at Walgreen's - one for Audrey - so if DH goes to get those, there will be a little out of pocket. But that should be it for the weekend.

I made a pot of spaghetti yesterday and green beans to go with. I think that will be supper tonight as well. I'll make a couple pieces of garlic toast for us too.

Have a great day, all.
Patty
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Janet, it's great to hear from you and hear about the progress on your solar project. Not losing your food in a power outage will be amazing!

DH and I have been grocery shopping today. We came in on budget for the first time in ages, but did not buy a lot. Except for taking advantage of a sale on Triscuit and cranberry juice and buying a little extra, we did not do any stocking up. I bought one small beef steak that was marked down to $5 with plans of making beef-barley soup when the weather cools some next week.

I made six quarts of iced tea this morning after washing the interior of the fridge and have that chilling in jugs on the top shelf. Also need to boil some eggs. Egg salad sounds good right now.

Watermelons are $6 each in the grocery store. As much as I love it, I just can't swing that. Will keep looking for a farmer with a truck on the roadside.
Mackie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:36 am Good morning frugal friends.

Florida Cat sorry to hear you have been ill. I will try to play catch up to see what is going on with you. Take care. Sending love and a gentle ((hug)). Your friend, Janet

I have been busy with the solar project. A lot was due to needing to get my basement cleaned out. Some people have had their things stored down there for 17 years.gggrrr There are still things that belong to a nephew in Tennessee. Heaven only knows when he will be here to pick them up. The reason for the clean out was they were going to wrap the duct work. However, they did a whole house energy audit. That was interesting how they conducted that. They found a problem with the northeast bedroom, so they put an insulation blanket over the existing insulation. The only other problem was a leak at the downstairs patio door, and they suggested a door stopper like I have between my utility room door and hallway. They wrapped the water heater. They installed a new thermostat that is so much easier to use. The other one came with the furnace in 2017 and it was hard for me to program. This one hasa symbol that shows up when I am adjusting it to indicate that particular temp is energy saving.

My original company was bought out my ADT. They sent me an email that they were going to upgrade my panels to the newest addition at no cost to me. I must admit that their installation was amazing. I had three crews all swoop in starting around 8:30 AM on Thursday. They all called ahead. They went right to work with two electricians in the basement setting up the battery backup, a crew of two doing the energy audit and then a crew of three outside setting up the panels. About a week ago another crew had been here to set up the poles for the panels. A lot of hard work and not once did I see someone sitting down and doing nothing.

The poor electricians were here from 8:30 AM until 6:30 PM on Thursday. They came back yesterday to work on things from 9:00 AM until 4:30 PM. Yesterday they discussed with me how I wanted the house wired for incase there is a complete shutdown of the system. I will be connected to my local electric company so that I can pull power from them when I am not generating enough for my needs, and they will be pulling from me when I have excess. The thing is if there is a storm, and the grid is down with broken wires I will be cut off of the grid because someone may get electrocuted if my system is still sending out power. I opted to have my fridge only on in the kitchen. I plan on getting a freezer for the garage and it will be wired to stay active with the battery then my bedroom will be my safe zone where I can use a space heater and relocate my microwave to it. Also, I have something like a hot plate for cooking. It is not a hot plate but similar and safer without a coil. I think it is an induction cooker. My sales rep found out the night before the installation that i did not have wi-fi. He was kind enough to go to Walmart and buy one and drop it off the night before. He lives two hours away. All I can say about this whole thing is they have great workers.

Also, about a week ago the guys from another company came to install the trench for the wiring. After they left, I realized I did not have satellite TV. I decided that it was somehow damaged by them digging near the cable for the TV. I called the company and the owner told me to give him10 min and he would call me back. He called me and told me that the guys should be back in 10 min to look at things. They were back and dug up the cable area and found the problem. They offered to pay for all repairs. However, I have a repair plan with my satellite company, and they said it was covered. I wish all companies had the work ethics that these companies have demonstrated.

I am totally wiped out with all of the activity but still happy and excited about what is going on. I am still on regular power because my local utility company needs to come in and connect their system to mine and put in a new meter. That might take a couple more weeks.

I am going to try to get caught up on what has been going on, but it is going to take time. I hope to pop in more often.
Janet, it is so good to hear from you.