Skimpflation

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Skimpflation

Post by MackerelCat »

I have never been in a dedicated butcher shop because we just don't eat that much meat. The Save-a-Lot up the street from our house is one of the few places I know of that still has a meat cutter on the premises, but they just do basic cuts.

Sandi, the prices in the fresh meat case are swoon-worthy. My husband was hankering for corned beef, and a piece I used to pay about $11 for was $40. It stayed in the store! I'm really not sure who they're selling it to because I look at people's carts and they aren't buying much meat at all.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Re: Skimpflation

Post by HappyDaze »

SandiSAHM wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:04 pm Have you always been vegetarian? The end of this year will mark 30 years for me, so more years veg than not.

And with that, some friends who are omnivores sometimes visit and need to hit a 'specialty' meat shop whenever they're here - they live in tiny town north and east in another state but are native Texans from the extreme southeastern part of the state, they grew up with Cajun food, so they load up on andouille and boudin to restock their freezer. It's also a butcher shop. Wild mix of plain old US angus and some exotic stuff (not much Asian, there are a LOT of Asian markets in the area that specialize for a variety of people groups, down in this area we have quite a few immigrants who are Burmese and Hmong).

I don't go to the meat sections of regular stores. I bet the $s are crazy, particularly since the cost of fuel has gone up.
Hi Sandi. Since I was 15 - so a long time - 43 years. With the exception of during my first pregnancy - my doctor convinced me I could not have a healthy baby without eating meat so I would have it a couple times a week. It was not easy to get down. My daughter weighed in at 6 lbs. and did not do well - her apgar scores were 4 and 6. With my son, I did not eat meat - he weighted nearly 9 lbs and his scores were 9 and 10. Enough said.

I went to the meat section tonight - I'm making a meal for a coworker's family who recently experienced a tragic loss - WOW, major sticker shock. I paid over $5 each for 3 packages of 2 chicken breasts - they were on markdown. The meal is costing over $40 and I don't mind - but I would not spend even a fifth of that to make a meal for myself. No, I did not have to make it that expensive - I wanted to, plus I needed to buy disposable aluminum pans with lids.

I do not miss preparing meat for others now that I only cook for myself. My family says my meatloaf is amazing, of course I have never tasted it.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz