Skimpflation

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Skimpflation

Post by MackerelCat »

There's a really good article in The Guardian about "skimpflation," which is the lessening of quality in goods and services that I think we're all experiencing right now:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/jun/28/cancelled-flight-shoddy-clothing-disappointing-meal-blame-skimpflation-the-hidden-curse-of-2022
Mackie
MackerelCat

Re: Skimpflation

Post by MackerelCat »

And an article that originally appeared in the New York Times about how people are altering their behavior in response to inflation:

https://dnyuz.com/2022/06/28/less-takeout-more-produce-swapping-how-inflation-is-altering-peoples-behavior/

(I have to admit that the woman who mentioned being in her local butcher shop made me do a double take. There are still butcher shops? And who can afford to shop there?)
Mackie
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Not read the article yet but waving my hand. Are butcher shops more expensive? They can be. They also allow you to get the best quality meat and meat that is often not available in grocery stores in any amount you like. Just as an example if I am making osdo bucco I want real veal, not to make pork bucco..I'm happy with just a couple of bones but I need them.

I don't do it all the time but it's a no waste issue for me. We have a butcher right down the road.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

I don't believe I've experienced skimpflation, but I have shrinkflation. But the latter has been going on for a very long time and I've adjusted to it. Thanks to keeping my pantry stocked when the sale prices are available and meal planning, with the exception of two months this year, I will have been $40 below a food budget I had established almost 2 decades ago.

I also don't drive a lot so the rise in gas prices has not affected me much, but like the guy in the article I watch my gas gauge to keep it below $50 which I budget my purchases at.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Quilter, I guess I had not thought about being able to buy the precise amount of meat one needs at the butcher. There is a butcher shop in the metro area here, but when I hear people talk about it, they are spending a lot of money. I think it's popular with guys who grill.
Mackie
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

MackerelCat wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:43 am And an article that originally appeared in the New York Times about how people are altering their behavior in response to inflation:

https://dnyuz.com/2022/06/28/less-takeout-more-produce-swapping-how-inflation-is-altering-peoples-behavior/

(I have to admit that the woman who mentioned being in her local butcher shop made me do a double take. There are still butcher shops? And who can afford to shop there?)
Mackie,

Brandon, Manitoba in the last census came up to a little over 50K people. We also serve a rural area that is approximately 200K people from small towns up to an hour and some away for shopping. We have 4-5 butcher shops!! Apparently, from all I've seen of people posting online, they get much better deals, can order the specific cuts and quantities they want and not have to settle for "bulk packs" at the grocery stores. I haven't tried it out yet but I know John (of John and Zoe) gets meat and his steaks there. I'm going to check it out one of these days!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.