Coupons

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
chocolite

Re: Coupons

Post by chocolite »

Quilter51 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:32 pm The other thing is that the grocery rebate apps are a better and more efficient way to get money, and you actually seeing it rather than getting cents off.

I dont use ibotta, but when I did, wow. I still use multiple other mobie app rebates though.
Quilter, why did you quit Ibotta? If you don't mind, will you share any other rebate app/s that you find the best?
Patty
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Several weeks back my Mom was ranting about coupons that were not in her paper when ads indicated that they should have been. She is not a huge couponer, but uses Persil laundry detergent because it is one Dad can tolerate. (he and DB1 both seem to be allergic to many detergents.) She was saying something about how people are going to get mad at the company. I kept my mouth shut but I wanted to say something along the lines that they will not lose her as a customer. You might not be happy about buying the product, but you really don't have a better alternative.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I botta did not have a lot of things I use. When there were things I used, I did save money. But especially as I live alone, I felt that it was not worthwhile. I also think their customer service absolutely sucks the big one (I have had issues making a new account and having my old phone number and so on and so forth and being told that phoen numbers don't transfer.

To be honest I rarely use coupones any more that are not gotten through the store. I do play the "Drugstore game" and use both apps and clip coupons and only buy things when there is extra bucks or walmart cash. And I do the same with Kroger.

But I find Winco and Aldi both to be cheaper than a traditional store with coupons. As maggie says I am going to buy All Free and Clear once a month, coupon or not. The same with Fair life milk, cuties and so on and so forth. I am not going to change most of my product options because of a coupon. I've come to realize that I buy the brand and size I want or I buy generic. It works for me.

Instead, I concentrate my shopping time on using Aldi, and buying nothing but loss leaders from Kroger and Safeway except the sale meat counters. It does require two stores a week and I do need to go into the stores to see the markdowns. I also try and keep track of food waste,

For people interested in apps, coupons.com has an app and you can print your own coupons. I will say here that the absolutely best way to save money is to set up a specific yahoo or hotmail address and then go to every single manufactuer and subscribe to their emails, and get on their rewards programs. Kellogs rewards includes kellogs, oatmeal, keebler crakers and a whole pile of other things that you can get rewarded for by entering the codes. Coke has it's own rewards progra,. I get emails from pillsbury that includes coupons and rebates all the time.

As far as apps, there is Ibotta, Shopkick, Brandclub, Get upside, Redeipthog.. many of these require linking your card and or linking your Target, Walmart, Amazon or grocery store account.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

The only coupons you see now in the papers in my area are for OTC meds. It's rare that they feature a food product. I tried a few of those apps when they were first begun but didn't have much success with them because the stores were pretty much limited and I had no access to them.

I'm not a cellphone person. For some reason I just can't get into it. I don't want to run my life from a phone . . . it's not who I am. If they put them online, yes then I'd use them. But they aren't. I'm also not a "brand" shopper for the most part so these apps probably wouldn't help much anyway.

I did try MyPoints recently but they didn't pick up items I purchased due to their description on the receipts and with the 20 emails a day it just wasn't worth it to me.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I have been doing both Ibotta and Fetch. I earned a $10 gift card from Fetch pretty fast with their introductory points but I’m going to stop now because I have about 3,500 points now and it willl take forever to get to 10,000 since I mostly buy store brands. They also sent me a text saying since I have not entered any receipts lately that my points would disappear. So goodbye to them.

I have about $50 in ibotta and will decide on a gift card. I could get the cash but I’m not sure I want to give them my bank account info.

I used to be a big couponer with printed coupons. I would use the coupon from my newspaper and one from mom’s paper when Publix had B1G1 offers. It was allowed and things would be almost free. Those days are long gone.

Like Maggie’s mom I still look for printed coupons for Clairol Natural Instincts haircolor but I also buy it without a coupon.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

mbrudnic wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:21 pm Several weeks back my Mom was ranting about coupons that were not in her paper when ads indicated that they should have been. She is not a huge couponer, but uses Persil laundry detergent because it is one Dad can tolerate. (he and DB1 both seem to be allergic to many detergents.) She was saying something about how people are going to get mad at the company. I kept my mouth shut but I wanted to say something along the lines that they will not lose her as a customer. You might not be happy about buying the product, but you really don't have a better alternative.
Maggie, when inflation started heating up early this year, I made a good investment decision related to the idea that people will keep buying certain products. (This is not advice since the stock environment has changed!) The company that came to mind was Proctor and Gamble. I figured that most people who buy Tide, Charmin and Bounty would continue even with the price increases that P&G has put in place. I bought the stock and it went up but even with the big decline in the stock market it is above my purchase price plus it has a 2.75% dividend. Thought I’d mention this to you because I know you research investments. In my business writing days I would read the company financial documents but I did this on gut instinct and looking at a few numbers on Yahoo Finance.