Daily Check In June 30, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
chocolite

Re: Daily Check In June 30, 2022

Post by chocolite »

Florida, I'm right there with you. Although you never know how much is "enough," I thought we were in pretty good shape. But all the wide dips and drops have made me quite nervous. At the heart of the issue is the fact that I know so little about the stock market and its mysteries. So the fear can manifest at times. My M.O. has always been to just put money into a 401k and let it be. But I don't know about that strategy, once there's nothing new going into the 401k. I did arrange for a targeted rebalancing as my age increases, but I don't think DH has done the same - and he's quite unwilling to let me take charge of his retirement accounts, so I don't push it. Ugh...it makes my stomach hurt.
Patty
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Our neighborhood church food pantry, which is a tiny organization, just sent out word that they served 149 people last week, which is a record. It receives no funding except donations and relies heavily on food donations from the neighborhood. A church member posts a list of needed items every week on Next Door. This week they need everything.

This pantry is also the only group I know providing food to the homeless and providing pet food in our little city. (Things are different across the city limits in the big city, where there are more resources.)

Things are getting scary with the food situation for a lot of people. DH and I have some wiggle room in the budget and I am going to hit up Save-a-Lot after work to pick up some canned goods on the list. We also have a bag of Cat Chow we bought for Dora before switching her to Ollie's food that we can donate. I was going to take it the animal shelter, but the shelter does get funding.
Mackie
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Good afternoon friends. It's warming up again here after some really nice cooler weather. Current temp is 91 but it feels like 98. I have a prescription to pick up sometime but not today. Plus, I would like to get a pedicure sometime. It's been a long time since I've gotten one. They're not as much fun since I can't bear to get my feet or legs massaged, but I do like to have some polish on my toes in the summer. For me, if no one else, lol.

I have a roast with veggies in a slow oven. I debated throwing it in the crockpot, but I just like the flavor much more when it's done in the oven. I lowered the thermostat one degree and put the kitchen ceiling fan on low to help offset the heat generated.

Not much else going on around here. DH is working. He has a lot of meetings via Zoom, and I think it's frustrating for him to know that work is waiting while they are in endless rounds of meetings. Corporate America at its finest. :-/

Have a good day and stay cool!
Patty
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

An example of how weird my ill sibling and her kids are

So my sister from the coast is driving up. Calls ill sibling and asks if she needs anything. Tells her she is hungry. So coast sibling is going to pick up a salad and other things for her from HE B

I told coast sibling - isn't her daughter still there? So she is not feeding her? Yea they don't like me asking questions - :mrgreen:. Son's wife is off for the summer also - son is probably at work. Two sources of food delivery, but coastal person has to bring it.

But then ill sibling turns her nose up at anything her daughter does. She was not a good mom. :mrgreen:
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Kitty, I see you on the forum. We are all thinking of you. (((Hugs)))
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

It's so everloving hot that I pulled out my fall fabrics to see what I had and start sewing fall decor.