Estate Sales

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Estate Sales

Post by MackerelCat »

This may sound slightly nuts, but lately estate sales make me sad.

I have gone and probably will go in the future to estate sales because I go with a list when when we need things, and it is a great way to shop because you get to see the cleanliness of the environment in which what you are buying was kept, but ...

When I look on the website for local estate sales, the sheer volume of stuff in people's homes is actually making me sad. They haven't gotten rid of things in decades. It's stuff on top of stuff and it's just depressing.
Mackie
clemencia2us

Re: Estate Sales

Post by clemencia2us »

one good thing about ill sibling - she was not a collector. So does not have tons of things to move or sell.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

I haven't been to one in years, but I used to enjoy them for the same reasons you list, Mackie. Although I do admit to a few spontaneous purchases as well. :-)

The older I get, the more I look at all our stuff -- and we've got more than our share of stuff -- as becoming more and more of a burden. Someone, someday, is going to have to go through all our stuff (although I have no idea who that will be) and probably just throw it all away. It makes me more determined to downsize my stuff. DH is what I would call an organized packrat of some things. He does occasionally get rid of clothes or books, but not as much as I wish he would.
Patty
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

I think we're seeing the last of the generation that went through the Depression, or were raised by Depression-era parents who passed on the notion that you have to hang on to everything.

Not that I'm any better. We're planning a garage sale in the fall, and I've told DH I have one condition: Nothing stays. Anything that doesn't sell goes to charity, or out with the trash.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

We have just our son, who is not into organization, so it's up to us to do something about things before we become infirm. I believe in stocking a pantry and a freezer, but otherwise I've become a believer in just enough. There's no point in having 50 pot holders or dish towels for one normal household, like in one sale I saw.

Our garage, where DH keeps his wood shop and gardening stuff, is totally getting out of hand. Lately I think about building a fire pit just so we can legally dispose of some of the stuff he has piled up out there.

Edited to add: I know one thing I am bad to hang onto is blankets and quilts, because in my childhood when we lost electrical power, we had a cold house. It's funny how hard it is to shed the habits borne of negative experiences.
Mackie
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I've been here almost a year and a half and have still not purchased any thing furnitures wise. een though I do need to for my books and display and am managing mainly fine.

My parents worked in different places overseas and as a result they were not "keepers" When they passed we divided up the few things they had collected in their travels, as well as one set of china and one set of hand made pottery and some other things and that was it. I have already given my kids my moms silver plate and various decor mementos.

I would still go to one for fabric and craft supplies, but my kids know what they can do with it all afterward and there is no obligation in any way. I am actually not using a stash any more and buying things for projects as I need them or find them at thrift stores with some exceptions.

I do stock up byt not as much as most of you even in the canned good and freezer section. Mainly I purchase weekly for what I need and go from there due to space.