Daily Check In July 31, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
elsi

Re: Daily Check In July 31, 2022

Post by elsi »

Hello all -- today we had a family gathering to celebrate birthdays. My second & third children have birthdays on 30 & 31 July. So everyone gathered at my house this morning. My two sons helped their dad install a doggie door into our back door. (Now we need to teach the dog how to use it without someone holding the flap up for him!) My daughter and I finished shelling the purple hull peas while the boys were working on the door. Then my oldest son treated everyone to lunch at a nearby chicken restaurant. We came back to my house for birthday cake, though most of us were too full from lunch to eat cake. I sent cake home with the two birthday kids.

Yesterday, I picked up 1/2 bushel of purple hull peas from the farmer. I sat down yesterday afternoon and started shelling peas. To entertain myself, I set up my cell phone with Netflix and watch the last 6 episodes of season 3 of In the Dark. I'm glad to find that there's a season 4 available on the CW with free streaming in the browser. (I haven't investigated whether there's an app for the cell phone.) After 5+ hours of shelling peas, I was about 3/4 done with the bag, but I was tired of peas and was wanting supper. (Hubby had already fended for himself by warming up the left-over pizza from Thursday.) I set the mesh sack of beans aside, bagged up the shelled peas and tossed them into the fridge, and made myself a cold supper of chicken salad stuffed into a tomato, carrot-raisin salad, and tabouli. I put myself to bed shortly after.

This morning I got up early and went to the next town over to buy the birthday cake from the Kroger store. (My town does not have a grocery store, though Dollar General carries some essentials like bread, crackers, and some canned goods.) When I walked into the store, I decided to treat myself to a frappucino from the Starbucks kiosk right by the entrance. Wow! I got a small and it was pricy! This is the first frappucino I've bought in 5 years, and I'm not a coffee drinker (except when it's cold, milky, and sweet), so I've just not kept up with the price of coffee.

While we were at the restaurant at lunchtime, I had everyone put the bones from their chicken into a bag which I brought home. Later tonight I'm going to start chicken broth in the slow cooker so we can have chicken soup for supper tomorrow night. I just love *free* broth.

This afternoon, I need to wash and sort the peas that we shelled. Then I'll blanch and pack them into pint bags for the freezer. The last time I shelled and packaged peas, I used quart bags, but that's just too much to cook for just the two of us. Then I'll pull something simple together

I can't believe that tomorrow is Monday and I have to go to work. Weekends need to be longer than two days!
Elsi in Texas
ownedbydogs

Re: Daily Check In July 31, 2022

Post by ownedbydogs »

MackerelCat wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:39 pm Our supper was delicious except that the biscuits did not turn out well. It may have been because I used nonfat milk. The dogs certainly enjoyed them, though.
I don’t cook with onions anymore ( I like them raw and add later) so I can feed it to the dogs if I don’t like my cooking. 😆