Daily Check In August 5, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check In August 5, 2022

Post by clemencia2us »

Older brother that was going to be here tomorrow had to cancel.

His wife wasn't feeling well so went to the doctor today - COVID positive!

So of course cannot be around all of us.

Hope she recovers and no one gets infected.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

MackerelCat wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:56 pm FloridaCat, I am assuming that the nearly nonfunctional kidney is the source of the repeat infections and you will be much better off without it? (((HUGS))) I hope is all goes extremely well and you are back to being your healthy self very soon, hon.
Yes, I think and hope that is the case. I’m going to think positive.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Well, our tour was rained out. I got some amazing video from the visitor's barn of a thunder/lightening/rain storm and we picked up a couple things in the gift shop and re-booked for tomorrow at 11. We decided to skip going to dinner too and will do lunch tomorrow after our tour.

I found two great tote bags very reasonably priced. My friend got two coffee mugs but I wasn't going to pay $22 for a coffee mug - got a Dollar Tree right up the street if I need those, lol - minus the FS logo of course, but that's okay.

I had a little bit of a hard time driving back in the storm - nothing terrible or scary - I just had to be very careful - a lot of country roads, dirt roads, curvy twists and turns. I took a wrong turn at some point and my GPS quit so we stopped at a little store called Sugar Hill Trading Post in the middle of nowhere to make sure we were still on track. We more or less were and a very nice man told us how to go. He gave us lots of good tips, told us what to watch out for and even told us at what point we would get GPS back. Still nice people in the world.

I felt bad for some people who couldn't reschedule - they had driven 6 hours from Long Island and have a wedding in Rochester tomorrow, then heading back home. At least they got their admission refunded. I told them if they every have an opportunity to come back, it's worth it.

Now that I'm home, sun is out, it's hot as blazes and you would never know it rained - maybe it didn't rain here???

Plans for the evening are up in the air. There are things I should do but my "want to dos" are calling my name - one of them being sitting out in the shade with a book, so may do that for an hour or so.

I hope everyone is having a good, safe day.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

floridacatlover wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:42 pm Yes, I think and hope that is the case. I’m going to think positive.
Praying all goes well with your surgery. And yes lots of folks do well with only one kidney.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:47 pm Hello friends.

Clem, I am thinking of you and your sister.

I had an appointment with my primary care doctor this morning. When I had the kidney scan I had the results sent to her as well as the urologist who I’ll see next week. My left kidney is only 10% functioning so the urologist was right. (Thankfully my right kidney is normal.) So I’ll have my left kidney removed at the end of this month. The urologist had already scheduled the robotic surgery believing that this would be necessary and because the hospital books up fast. Of course I wish that the results were different but many people live with only one kidney. I am going to try to face this in a non-emotional, matter-of-fact way. Once I get through the surgery I will hopefully live a normal life.

I am thinking of making a quick trip to Aldi tonight (for the first time since the pandemic) when I hope it will be less busy. The ad has grapes for .99/pound (compared to $2.49 at Publix) and $1.99 for a pint of blueberries. And I’ll try to get paper towels, too.

When I went to mom’s house yesterday afternoon, I did trimming in a shady area for about 30 minutes but it is too hot to be out there at that time of day.

Stay cool.
Florida, I hope you will feel so much better after your surgery and can get on with the business of life normally. I think you are smart to approach this the way you are. Thinking of you!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

MackerelCat wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:00 am Clem, I hope the medical team has your sister resting easier today. (((HUGS)))

Jackie, losing a phone is an absolute pain in the behind. Hearing about the bunny on the game cam is fun, though.

I think rather than replacing our defunct home security camera system with some other system that a company will obsolete out, we'd be better off to just set up two game cameras in the right spots. Way less expensive that way.

DH and I went out last night for Mexican food and a margarita each. The scale complained at me this morning due to the sodium but I'll drink a lot of water and flush it out. We had a mini-budget summit over chips and salsa. DH believes we will be completely debt-free (if Fate allows) by December at our current rate of not spending/saving.

DH has changed his mind and decided not to buy a new car any time soon because he does not think any are going to be available for as long as a couple of years due to the chip manufacturing situation. He is also reluctant to go into that kind of debt, as the appeal of being completely debt free is very strong. I think it also occurred to him that with him working from home, we just don't drive that much any more and can make our older cars last longer.

Today after work I don't have to run by Food Lion to stock up on DH's bagels and low-calorie cranberry juice because we have plenty of those at home. I'm planning on going home and taking a nap, if the dogs will let me alone long enough to do it.

Dora Kitty was in feisty mood last night and kept grabbing Ollie Cat by the head to wrestle with him on our bed. Ollie is quite old and did not want to do this, so I would reach out and flick her on the hip with my middle finger and say, "No" very firmly. Every time she'd turn around, look at her hip, glare at me, and sling him down again. The torti-tude is strong in that one! :-D Clearly my little finger pops were not going to stand in the way of tossing the old man around. I finally had to pinch her tail and holler NO! before she would let him go. She can be a little monster when she feels like it.

Hope you all have a good day.
Boy..would Dora be surprised if Ollie just knocked her off the bed!!!!