Brooklyn Public Library membership ending

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Brooklyn Public Library membership ending

Post by MackerelCat »

I have been so happy to have an annual $50 out of state membership to the BPL, but last month that program was suspended and I won't be able to renew my membership, which I used to check out e-books, when it expires in December.

However, a quick bit of research turned up a similar program with the Houston, Texas library system, for $10 a year less.

I know many of you have no use for this info because you are blessed with an excellent free library system, but due to a division between property tax supported library systems, I live in a library book desert. So if you are like me or would just like inexpensively hugely expand your reading/listening options, here you go.
Mackie
LogicsHere

Re: Brooklyn Public Library membership ending

Post by LogicsHere »

Thanks, Mackie.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Also check out the fairfax county library sytem. Its a huge county and as far as I know it still does the same thing. I feel for people without easy library access
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

MackerelCat wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:01 am I have been so happy to have an annual $50 out of state membership to the BPL, but last month that program was suspended and I won't be able to renew my membership, which I used to check out e-books, when it expires in December.

However, a quick bit of research turned up a similar program with the Houston, Texas library system, for $10 a year less.

I know many of you have no use for this info because you are blessed with an excellent free library system, but due to a division between property tax supported library systems, I live in a library book desert. So if you are like me or would just like inexpensively hugely expand your reading/listening options, here you go.
Wow, we have great libraries here in Ohio. If you have a card at one system int he state you are able to get a card at any other state library system. I very often have cards to 2 different systems. And out levies usually pass for the libraries.

You use the library on-line services, For $10 a month, I'd try it for a year. No question
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

That is great to know about the Fairfax Library System. I feel like having a back-up membership somewhere would be a good idea. Reading is my main form of entertainment and the library e-books save me a ton of money.
Mackie
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Yep. I just went through the "fantastic fiction" website looking at all the books coming in the next 90 days and all that came out in the past 90 days and made a bunch of reserves and holds for the future as well as a list. I read the whole new Catherine Coulter book in 24 hours, lol.