Daily Check In, August 8, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Re: Daily Check In, August 8, 2022

Post by HappyDaze »

I just got back from a walk with Hope - still HOT at almost 10 p.m. I found some vegan sausage crumbles in the freezer - my store was discontinuing it and I bought the last 5 bags for $2.74 each - regular price $5.99. I fried some up with the last of the "not too far gone" peppers and made a wrap.

As much as I hate white noise in all forms, I'm off to bed with the big box fan - the dogs will be miserable without it. I just opened the windows - hopefully it will cool off or there will be a breeze or some rain - or some SNOW (LOL) at some point during the night.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

HappyDaze wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:34 pm Quilter, I hear you about C&B - same with Coldwater Creek - since their "bankruptcy/going out of business", I don't like their offerings as much.
Oh how I LOVED Coldwater Creek's stuff. The t-shirts were so cool, and the skirts were fun (and for a while I actually bought purses; mostly crossbody bags - have given them all to DD except the red one, love the red!). It was such a bummer when they disappeared. I haven't ordered from them since their "return," nothing looks good.

Yet another reason I'm not likely to ever get a read job again and have to go to work around others... I have nothing to wear, and I hate shopping in person. Nearly everything is thin fabric and a lack of understanding that hems are meant to be straight. Even Lands End disappoints now (and they're too expensive - quality dropped while prices went up; it's like they think we're stupid).
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

SandiSAHM wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:04 pm Oh how I LOVED Coldwater Creek's stuff. The t-shirts were so cool, and the skirts were fun (and for a while I actually bought purses; mostly crossbody bags - have given them all to DD except the red one, love the red!). It was such a bummer when they disappeared. I haven't ordered from them since their "return," nothing looks good.

Yet another reason I'm not likely to ever get a read job again and have to go to work around others... I have nothing to wear, and I hate shopping in person. Nearly everything is thin fabric and a lack of understanding that hems are meant to be straight. Even Lands End disappoints now (and they're too expensive - quality dropped while prices went up; it's like they think we're stupid).
Sandi, I agree - their stuff is not the same. I used to shop their clearance for slacks for work. More than my cheap hear likes to pay but the quality was there. The last pair I got - probably about a year ago - are "just okay".
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

MackerelCat wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:19 pm I like Macy's house brands of ladies clothes: Style & Co., Karen Scott, and Cabin Creek (going off memory on that last name). They hold up great to buy second-hand.
I still have two Karen Scott suits that I bought. They were basically the only brand I could buy that didn't need to be altered. Every other brand that carried petite was for 5'4" and under. Well I hate to tell them that that 4 inches can absolutely ruin an outfit if they tried to alter it.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

SandiSAHM wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:04 pm Oh how I LOVED Coldwater Creek's stuff. The t-shirts were so cool, and the skirts were fun (and for a while I actually bought purses; mostly crossbody bags - have given them all to DD except the red one, love the red!). It was such a bummer when they disappeared. I haven't ordered from them since their "return," nothing looks good.

I have bought 4 Land's End T-shirts this season and am thrilled with the quality. I get their spam emails and was able to buy my shirts with 40% off and a sale of ~$13 each. Talbots now, it a still a go to but I have seen their quality slip. I shop their sales also.

You sound like my Mom. "nobody put darts in their tops anymore, they all look like maternity tops. They don't make pants for my shape."
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I love buying Talbot's new-with-tags secondhand because I can find things from a couple of years ago when the quality was better. Also avoid Talbot's Outlet: outlet stuff is made to a lesser quality.

Lately the department at work has been banging the gong about business dress for professional staff, but then they want us to wear these plasticky polyester t-shirts they keep buying for events: they are actually trying to make wearing the t-shirts mandatory, even though it contradicts the dress code.

This morning I was in A Mood and said "stuff it" and put on a cotton top with a bandana print and a pair of Lee cotton slacks with an indigo rinse (not jeans, but very soft and comfortable). I will fall over in a dead faint the day anyone actually expresses any care about me around this place and might as well be comfortable while doing it! :-D
Mackie