Daily check-in Friday, Aug. 12, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily check-in Friday, Aug. 12, 2022

Post by MackerelCat »

elsi wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:12 pm "Doing Fourteeners" refers to hiking to the top of mountains that are at least 14,000 feet high. Colorado has 58 mountain peaks exceeding 14,000 feet. There are an additional 38 peaks outside of Colorado, most of those in Alaska.

This has been an interesting week. It started off with the horrid heat we've been dealing with since early June. But we finally got a break on Tuesday when there was about 5 minutes of a sprinkle but more importantly, lower temperatures down in the 90s. Then on Wednesday we got a full-blown storm with heavy downpour (about 1.5 inches), lots of thunder (and I suppose lightning but I didn't see any), and high winds. The temps were down in the 80s! What a major relief. It didn't last, though. Several folks in the area had damage from the wind with fences being blown over, losing roof shingles, and porch furniture blown about. The only impact at my house was that the garbage can took about a 30 foot journey from next to the garage door out into the front yard. And true to form, temperatures have been back up into the triple digits at midday.

On Tuesday night, we went up to the monthly Farmer's Market in a nearby town. Unfortunately it was mostly a crafts and cottage foods market. There was only one seller who had fresh produce -- and not very much at that. I picked up a small basket of small onions and one of ground cherries. Today we drove up to a local farmer's farm stand. Returned the green mesh bag in which I received 1/2 bushel of purple hull peas and some tomatoes, okra, small potatoes, and one slicing cucumber. I'm going to make 2 more pints of pickled okra since I've already finished off one of the two I made about 6 weeks ago. One of the tomatoes is going into guacamole and the rest will show up sliced in sandwiches or in salads. The cucumber is also going to appear in salads. The potatoes along with the onions are going into a beef stew.

I don't know if it's just me, or if this happens to you too -- but hubby is prone to sabotage my meal plans. Today I was planning on cooking breakfast (bacon, sausage, eggs) for lunch, but he announced that he wasn't hungry and didn't want lunch. So I made myself a grilled cheese sandwich with some fresh fruit and announced that we'd have the bacon & eggs for supper. That wasn't to be -- while we were out to the farm stand, hubby announced that he was hungry (it was 4pm) so he was going to drive through Chick-Fil-A and we should just get our supper there instead of waiting until we got back home. Two meals came up to almost $20. I think the next time this happens, I'll just encourage him to get a small snack (maybe a milkshake?) and then we can have supper as planned at home.

I have a lot of chores to do over the next couple of days:
  • Laundry -- at least 2 loads
  • Blanching and packaging purple hull peas for freezer
  • Making salsa from ground cherries
  • Shredding carrots for salads
  • Grocery shopping
  • Shopping for new "work" clothes
  • Shopping for a new suitcase
Most of this can be done at home -- unfortunately I must leave the house to buy groceries and shop for the suitcase. I probably can order clothes online, but I have to have everything in hand by next Friday because on Saturday I leave for a week long business trip.

Well, it's 9pm and I'm going to do a quick straighten up in the kitchen and take myself to be with my book. Good night, all.
The milkshake snack is a great idea. It's kind of the grown-up version of having a juice box and crackers in your handbag for a kid.

I have a good bit of household stuff to do this weekend and first need to find my get up and go, which got up and went around about Wednesday.
Mackie