Daily Check in Aug 15, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in Aug 15, 2022

Post by Jackielou »

Update

All listed work is done, except I need to iron a dress that I want to take with me (just a light sundress) though I have another if I decided I just can't face any more work other than getting supper ready.

I finished my lists for packing and will start on that tonight. Might even be able to get a bit into the car.

Tomorrow I water the plants and by then we should be ready to go. I want to get away by 8 so we reach oldest DS's place by 5:30 or there abouts.

Off to pull items out of the fridge to use up before we leave. I am hoping I can get Hubby to BBQ the sausages (for some reason that is what I grabbed from the freezer).
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

mbrudnic wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:35 am Update, Just finished a staff meeting. Manager was out last week for a family emergency but was handling critical issues. But he stated that "restructuring" for the year was complete. So if we did not hear from him last week, we are ok. Shew!
Great news Maggie!!!
casadekitty

Post by casadekitty »

Update:
Jackie I hope you have a great time.
FloridaCat, Praying for the best for you.
Maggie, great news about your job situation.
Clem, I am so glad to hear that your sisters "home going" went well. It's hard but you handled it.

I made a loaf of zucchini bread and then because I had plenty of shredded zucchini I made 8 mini loaves and they are now individually wrapped and ready for the freezer. the large loaf went to the kids. The mini loaves are perfect for me.
Made up a big salad and that was supper. I need to thaw something but what ??? Need to go back on the cooking for one website and see if anything sparks me.
I hauled recyclables and cleaned all floors except for the sunroom. I ran out of energy.
Snapped and cleaned green beans from the garden, not enough for a canner load so blanching and freezing them until the next picking. Hopefully will get enough for a full canner load.
Beets are finally getting some size, will be pickling them in a week or two. Will probably eat some roasted,
My surprise lillies are getting nasty looking, will probably have to cut and compost them tomorrow.
Off to look up recipes/meal ideas.

JCKitty
elsi

Post by elsi »

I haven't made much progress in my to-do list.
  • Laundry -- at least 2 loads
  • Blanching and packaging purple hull peas for freezer
  • Making salsa from ground cherries
  • Shredding carrots for salads
  • Grocery shopping
  • Shopping for new "work" clothes
  • Shopping for a new suitcase
I've finished one load of laundry and need to do at least one more, maybe two. And then I need to strip my bed and remake it with clean sheets.

My son helped me blanch the purple hull peas and get them into the freezer. My 1/2 bushel of peas yielded 2 quarts and 5 pints of peas. After we got through processing the peas yesterday, I cleaned up *most* of the kitchen, but I left the hot blanching water in the pot on the stove. When I went to throw it out this morning, I was surprised to discover that the water was the most gorgeous purple color. Which surprised me because the peas were green, not purple. But I did have a bunch of snaps (the pods that were too young to be shelled) in this batch so I'm guessing that although they were bright green, there was some purple underneath. I wonder if I could have done some dying with that liquid. Might be worth an experiment next year.

I did husk the ground cherries and put them in the fridge in anticipation of making the salsa. But hubby kept sabotaging my meal plans all weekend long. I finally wrested control today -- serving the pot roast tonight that I had intended for last night. Tomorrow we'll have the tacos with homemade salsa (ground cherries & tomatoes), homemade guacamole, and tomato rice. I don't think I'll bother with refried beans.

The grocery shopping this week was mostly topping up where we had run out of essentials. I bought tortillas, cottage cheese, cream cheese, romaine, and celery. I did grab a couple of things that were on sale, particularly one package of smoked turkey sandwich meat and a bag of frozen meatballs. I still need to swing by Albertson's and Kroger to pick up their sale items. I go through the weekly ads and pick out the sales items that we need -- wrote those down on my list along with the sale prices, and took that with me when I went to my regular grocery. If the price is lower at my regular grocery, I get it there -- which is why I bought the smoked turkey sandwich meat as it was 30 cents cheaper than the sale at Albertson's.

And our big expenditure has been the refrigerator we bought today. They're delivering it tomorrow -- free delivery, free removal and relocation of the old fridge, free setup of the new one. I'm putting my old fridge into the garage temporarily. All my food will stay in it until the new one chills down. Then, my sons will come pick it up and take it to their house.
Elsi in Texas
elsi

Post by elsi »

Clem & Quilter -- so sorry to hear of your losses. It's so sad that it takes a funeral to get the family together some times.

Maggie -- I'm relieved to hear that your job is secure. I know the tension associated with waiting to hear if you're going to be one of the job cuts where there's a headcount reduction.

FloridaCat -- I'm sorry to hear you're preparing for surgery. I'll be praying that all goes well.
Jackielou wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:36 am As soon as I finish this post I will have some breakfast and start the Cream of Mushroom soup. Once that soup is done I will make the Cream of Celery soup.
I love making homemade cream of whatever soup. Most recipes online only make the equivalent of one can, which is quite handy for a "need it now" situation. But I found a lovely recipe that makes a four cans worth at a time allowing me to stock up the freezer.
LogicsHere wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:01 am What a beautiful day today is going to be. It's forecasted to be in the high 70s with low humidity. I have most of my windows open and the light breeze coming in is just delightful. Have to make sure I get outdoors later today . . . it's too perfect to sit inside.
I can be jealous of you guys up north this time of year, but I don't envy you when it's the dead of winter with ice and snow.
mbrudnic wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:40 am I sewed the first three burp cloths on the first side. I got one trimmed, turned and top stitched before stopping to watch some Food Network. Now I am ready to iron and top stitch the other 2. I want to have them done by tonight. My Aunt and Uncle are having an Open house gather at their new house. I want to take these incase Aunt S is there and can get them to her son who requested them. Maybe I can get a few bowl cozies completed also.
Sounds so productive. I haven't had my sewing machine out in months. I do need to finish a nursery set that I've been crocheting and I have an embroidery project that I want to start after that.
Quilter51 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:10 pm Since I had communion and all that yesterday as part of the funeral I am now worshiping at home today, and will do evensong this evening.
I wonder if any churches near me offer evensong. My parish doesn't, and I miss it.
Elsi in Texas
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

elsi wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:05 am
I can be jealous of you guys up north this time of year, but I don't envy you when it's the dead of winter with ice and snow.
It can get a bit trying some time. I don't mind it as much now that I'm not working any more because I can plan to NOT have to go out in it. And after losing two tendons in my left shoulder I'm terrified of slipping and falling on ice so I do need to be careful when going out to clean off my car.

Lots of times I thought how nice it would be to be further south and not have to deal with snow and ice at all, but I don't think I could live in an area where temps are in the 90+range for months and months at a time.

But it would be nice to be able to be in an area where it stayed in the low to mid 70s all year round if there is such a place.

Guess I just have to hit the lottery so I can afford a house in both areas.