Daily Check In September 20, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check In September 20, 2022

Post by clemencia2us »

Good evening all

Did my short little grocery buying today. I basically just needed my tomatoes and avocadoes!! And bagged salad. And coffee creamer.

I decided to make a crockpot of beans - so they are soaking now. Will start them up early tomorrow - mmmm. Going to make fideo to go with them - I call it mexican spaghetti!

Now just relaxing and listening to CNN.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

Well did my shopping and wow was I really surprised. My freezer bags had pretty much doubled in price. Hubby figured out that someone in a minimum wage job here would need to work for an hour in order to purchase them.

I then decided to check my tape against my last bi-weekly shop. In two weeks a 4 liter container of milk rose twenty cents. A person on minimum wage would need to work about 45 minutes in order to purchase this.

There were other up ticks in costs. I just cannot fathom how people in minimum wage jobs or those who still have families at home are going to survive. I am glad that I am slowly changing our eating habits. More meatless meals will be had here, and I will be sure to use up everything that I can.

It also makes me happy that I can make things for gifts and our sons love getting them. We will still give them cash as gifts, but I will be adding a few things that will help in their homes as well. I bought them some sheet sets a couple of weeks ago and have my eyes on a few other things that can be used as well. I have even thought of a few more things to make to keep their homes nice and warm this winter.

Off to get supper on the table. Talk to you all later.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Salut mes amis,

I've been having one of "those" days over here in Manitoba. Phooey!

Yesterday afternoon, the hospital's ultrasound department called saying they had a 9:15 pm available for the ultrasound my gynecologist ordered up. She asked if I wanted it, I said, "yes." UGH! When I hung up the phone I realized it was game night and the Vikings were playing the Seattle Seahawks in Monday Night Football. DRAT!!

I watched as much of my football game as possible and drank a liter of water as directed and headed out at about 8:50 pm so I could get to the hospital in time. I LOATHE these tests. As I was parking, I clipped a pick-up truck's driver's side mirror. How I did that? I have no clue. Maybe I was so discombobulated with that much hated test I wasn't paying good attention. I started freaking out because I remember Mackie saying when she clipped hers it was like a $400 touch to fix it! Nothing happened to Zoe's van or anything. I got all the information off of the truck and left a note with my name and phone number and license plate. I called Manitoba's Public Insurance this morning as I told the owner of the truck, in the note, that I would do. I got the claim number and all. Just about 4:00 pm, the man called and said he had called his garage and found out the mirror (only the glass mirror broke) was only $75.00 to replace and he didn't want to go through the hassles of using insurance. I called Autopac (Manitoba Public Insurance) and was able to cancel the claim. The man is going to come and pick-up a post dated check tomorrow. I have to post date it as I only have $10 in my account and $10 in my wallet. It was very decent of him to do both things. It saves me a lot of grief and an increase in the price of my driver's license. It doesn't affect the price of the vehicle insurance under Manitoba's system.

I've been moping around the house all day. I actually hid out in bed all morning just dreading the thought of my increased driver's license cost. That all worked out well. I am still funkified over having had that stupid test. I just hate that probing my innards kind of test. It always feels like it takes a while for everything to go back to where it belongs.

After talking with Garry, the man whose truck I struck, I feel much better and am just working up the mojo to take a pre-supper shower. After that? I have recorded and have started to watch the first of a three night documentary on The USA and the Holocaust, it's on PBS. I am recording them. The first night was really good but also very horrifying as it so much shadows what is going on today. I know it's not going to get any better but this is our history and I want to know it. It it so full of political facts, historical videos and interviews that I know I will watch it again to catch what I've missed. I highly recommend it to everyone.

It's spaghetti for supper tonight.

That's the skinny from around here!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

MJ, mine was so expensive because the entire mirror housing shattered. It would have been pretty cheap for just the glass.

The truck owner sounds like a nice guy.
Mackie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

MJ - were you parked too close?

I always try to park away from people.

Yes he does sound like a nice guy.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

MackerelCat wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:12 pm Target might have it. You can check online to see if your local store has it, or get it shipped.
Success! Target did have the dye ... picked it up this afternoon! Thanks so much, Mackie. Hadn't thought of them.