Interesting article about anxiety screening for seniors.

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Interesting article about anxiety screening for seniors.

Post by clemencia2us »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2022/09/20/mental-health-anxiety-screening/
floridacatlover

Re: Interesting article about anxiety screening for seniors.

Post by floridacatlover »

But isn’t it strange that the anxiety screening will only be for those 65 and under. It says anxiety can’t be distinguished from aging in older people. Overall, it is a sad commentary on life in the U.S.

A positive side effect of my medical problems is that my anxiety is gone. I haven’t taken an anxiety pill since all this started. I was too focused on my minor worries in my previous life. Now that is gone, hopefully for good.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

The article I am reading said it is for adults 19 to 65. I think this is a good thing, as a mom who has an adult kid with anxiety bad enough to take meds who had been diagnosed with everything from aspergers to depression (goes with anxiety).

As far as the over sixty five, there a certain questions primary care doctors are SUPPOSED to ask their medicare patients at every physical and such including about depression/anxiety
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I get asked every time I go to urgent care, which is what I use for things like sinus infections, or my primary doctor, who I see only a couple of times a year, if I am experiencing depression. They don't ask about anxiety, although I do make a distinction between any feelings of depression and any of anxiety in my responses.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

MackerelCat wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:26 pm I get asked every time I go to urgent care, which is what I use for things like sinus infections, or my primary doctor, who I see only a couple of times a year, if I am experiencing depression. They don't ask about anxiety, although I do make a distinction between any feelings of depression and any of anxiety in my responses.
Mackie, I get the depression screening every time I go to the doctor. Sometimes the questions are different from other times. Once when I was having an especially trying day with dozens of needy coworkers and ONE of me, one of the questions was "do you feel like hurting yourself or someone else?" LONG PAUSE...ummmmm.....nooooooo....SMILE....
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz