Daily Check In September 21, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check In September 21, 2022

Post by MackerelCat »

clemencia2us wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:57 pm https://ancientcookware.com/classic-mexican/mexican-bean-pot-frijolera-detail

The pots are still handmade in Mexico - but are now certified lead free.
Clem, there was so much lead in the environment from gasoline, paint and dishware when we were growing up that it's no wonder the 1960s happened. Everybody was weird back then! :-D

I read a murder mystery once about a mountain potter who was murdered because he'd secretly kept lead in his famous dishware glaze for years after it was banned. It was a really good novel.
Mackie
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Went and grabbed a little fabric. Going to make flannel and cotton pillowcases (one of each to see if folks think they will sell. Just making them in two colors without that little "border" in between the cuff and the body

Also got some snack things and will get some more. I have been cheating and getting those little snack things they have in the deli area to have more healthy snacks. So I went ahead and got already cut up apples, cubed cheese, small creackers and hummus and pita bread to cut up and such. I prefer my snacks to be kind of like a mini cold plate but I am lazy.

I may spend the rest of the day reading.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Salut mes amis,

I was up early this morning. Much earlier than I needed to be but whenever I set my alarm, I always seem to get up at least an hour before the alarm goes off. The man whose driver's side mirror I broke, works at the hospital and was coming over after he got off work to pick-up a post-dated check from me to pay for replacing the mirror on his truck.

The night time testing seems to be becoming more common around here. As I was going in, a couple was coming out with ultrasound photos of their baby. I asked the ultrasound tech and she said she works until 10 and then after that she is around for emergency cases. Now that it is getting darker out earlier, I don't like to go out in the dark. It's just a thing I have. If it is to go babysit my little (Emmitt and Dayton)? No problem!! I'm out of the house lickety split. Doctors? Nope!

Jay and I went for lunch downtown today. We both got bread and I also go a gallon of 1% milk since I am making nice iced coffees everyday. She also had stuff to pick-up at the food bank so I took her there before taking her home.

Just before I went to lunch, the New York Attorney General was on announcing the fraud charges against Trump, trump Jr., Eric trump, Ivanka trump and two of his executives that worked for the trump org. The backlash from all of them has been so predictable and funny. Can you say, "Witch hunt" over and over and over?? Yup. That bad. He plead the 5th over 400 times when he was deposed for this case. Because it is a civil case, the jury CAN HOLD THAT AGAINST HIM! That's like if he was asked the square footage of his apartment in trump tower (he claimed it was 33K square feet, the blue prints show it was 11K Square feet). He used this square footage to inflate the price of the apartment to $335Million. NY AG said, "NOPE! Nothing in NYC has ever sold for even close to that." The jury can look at that and say, "Hmmm. . .lied about what we see on the blueprints to get a cheap loan?? Sounds guilty to me!!" I'm really looking forward to how this all comes out!! LOL The lot of the trumps (except Ivanka) are all screaming on his Truth Social and Eric and Donnie Jr. are tweeting funny lies. Donnie senior is just repeating his usual lies.

Oh, I was telling people the other day about this crazy (and extremely) blasphemous book some evangelical had written about trump. The title? President Donald J. Trump, the Son of Man -- The Christ.

Excerpt:
During the presidency of President Donald Trump, it became evident to me that the prophecies about the Son of Man, as predicted by Jesus in the Bible were, to a significant extent, fulfilled at the hands of Mr Trump."

Here's the link to Amazon where you can see more of the except:
https://www.amazon.ca/President-Donald-Trump-Son-Man/dp/1977249248/ref=sr_1_1?crid=82Q0077YP48&keywords=president+donald+j.+trump%2C+the+son+of+man+-+the+christ&qid=1663791411&sprefix=Trump+the+son+of+man+the+christ%2Caps%2C225&sr=8-1

My free leggings are in and I have a bunch of other errands I am going to run about 5 pm. Then? I will come home and I am pretty sure I'll have just a couple of hot dogs for supper and call it a night. Well, I do have some laundry I want to do and the dishwasher to unload again, guess I'll see how far any of that gets.

That's the skinny from around here!!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

Hi everyone,

Another cloudy drizzly day which I am enjoying. Since I woke up feeling like I have some extra spoons today I decided to tackle defrosting the chest freezer. It had not been done in about 6 months I expected a horrendous job but it was not as bad as I thought. It is hard work fo9r me because once I get all the food out I need to melt the ice and clean. Since I have such a short reach it is very difficult for me but my reacher helps. I take a dish towel and swish it around to sop op the melted ice. I have a sauce pan near by to wring out the towel into. I also use my hand held hair dryer to melt the ice faster. I try to do all this as quickly as possible so the stacks of food I have out do not thaw. The job is done now and the food is all back in the freezer. I have two fridge freezers to do and my do them later on today or tomorrow. It depends on how many spoons I have left.

Ever since I have stopped working I have undertaken doing about a project per day. I let so much go and now I am catching up. I don't think I will work much anymore because at my age it is just too hard to keep up with everything that needs doing. Plus I enjoy staying home and having my time as my own.

Tomorrow may be card playing day, II don't know yet. If not then I will do another project. Friday I take DS to the surgeon to find out what happens next.

Take care everyone,

Bev
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

MJ, not too many things take me aback these days, but THAT BOOK! :shock:

In other news, DH texted me that Lily Dog had eaten some lunch and seemed to be feeling more like herself.

I have been having the work day from Hades, with a parade of angry parents on the phone because of maintenance issues in student apartments. In the midst of this, I had to take a survey about employee satisfaction. It's the same one they had everyone take last year because the last question on it is about "what can your employer do to help you bring your authentic self to work?"

I always respond that I bring my professional self to work. Because honestly, my authentic self stays at home and they should be glad! :-D
Mackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

I have picked most of the garden, just a couple of unripe pumpkins and lots of green tomatoes left. I may go out and pick more green tomatoes after supper for a bit. I could just cover them and pick tomorrow, and I need to cover one plant that I want to repot and bring in for the winter.

Supper is started. I decided to just warm up the pork roast in the microwave and heat up in a frying pan some mashed potatoes with diced onions. Our side dish will be the never-ending cherry tomatoes along with some dip. I may cut up a cuke as well.

I plan on watching the premiere of Survivor and I am trying out recording the premiere of Chicago Fire. First time I have done this, so I hope it works out.

Off to finish making supper.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/