Daily Check-in September 27, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LogicsHere

Daily Check-in September 27, 2022

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

To Floridacat and any other guests from the state, stay safe! Prayers and best wishes going out to all.

Florida, my niece fortunately doesn't live in a flood zone but they risk power outages and wind damage to the buildings. And thanks for your best wishes to them as well.

Morning routine is finished so the rest of the day is mine.

A few days ago my sister told me one of her neighbors was using a walker he had literally pulled out of the garbage. He's got a bad back and can barely walk and is just about able to put food on the table. I told her I'd place an ad on Freecycle to see if I could find one and I did. One of the members who I gave some puzzles to saw it and I will be going to pick it up later this morning. I also have a few more puzzles I can give her as well.

I've been putting in updates on my budget worksheet to prepare for my working on my 2023 budget and all I can say is OUCH! Almost every area was affected in one way or another. My maintenance increase which actually goes into effect starting Oct 1st is the largest we've ever had, $55/mo for me. I can't imagine how that 4.5% translates to the 2 and 3 bedroom apartments. Not only is their maintenance higher by number of bedrooms, the number of stock shares they have is also higher than what I have so that will give them a higher fuel surcharge as well.

I'm going to keep my food budget the same but if I need to, I have budgeted $ in my nonfood items that went unused this year as well as meals out so I have play there.

Tonight will be a turkey burger and veggies for dinner.

Well that's all for now. Have a good day.
mbrudnic

Re: Daily Check-in September 27, 2022

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,

It is cool here. A real taste of Fall. But we usually have at least a week in October of Summer's last gasp.

Stay safe Florida.

I am waiting on a all hands call to start. Last one I recognized that I have an easier time listening to an Indian accent than a French one.

DGS8 will be selling Boy Scout popcorn outside an ice cream store tonight. I might pop down to visit. They sell online, but the cut that the online provider takes feels hefty to me. I'd prefer all the money go to the troop.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

The sky is still dark when I open the drapes now, in fact one could say as black as when I go to bed at night. This is another way I notice that winter is slowly creeping up on us, and I am so glad that I no longer have to drive to work in the dark during the long cold days.

I have a meeting at the church this morning. Hopefully it does not take too long, as I want to pick the remaining tomatoes, eggplant and any small peppers out there. I think we may as well pick the pumpkins and perhaps dig up the potatoes as well. Of course, I want to work on my quilt top as well. I did get my small error repaired and another strip of "bricks" added. Today I hope to do more on it. Takes a while because of placement, doing a disappearing 9 patch or a regular 9 patch is much easier. It is a good thing that is the type of quilt that youngest wants for his Christmas gift.

I also got the border sewn on the rug backing so that it won't fray. As soon as the boys have been home for Thanksgiving at the beginning of next month (well the second Sunday of the month) I will put aside whatever I am doing and get started on Christmas gifts. First the rug (I could actually work nights on that as well), then the quilt, lastly cutting out a robe for Hubby to replace the spring/summer one that is falling apart. I hope to get the draft dodgers made as well at some point. Eldest needs one for his front door, youngest needs two one for the front and one for the side.

The funeral was a wonderful celebration of Hubby's cousin. The family did a bang-up job. So many of the relatives were there, people Hubby had not seen for many, many years. I even managed to talk him into going downstairs to attend the luncheon which is something he hates to do.

Once home I went to a friend's for coffee and then came home and helped move some of the gravel. Well, I didn't move the gravel, instead I spread and leveled it where poured. There is still a mound left in the driveway, so Hubby is going to move that to the other side of the house to stock pile as he so elegantly puts it. It will be used to fill in where necessary after the other settles.

We got the message yesterday afternoon that the garage will arrive between 8 and 3 tomorrow, so we need to be prepared.

I talked to our youngest DS last night, he had texted me about his tomatoes wondering if he should let them ripen a bit more and then make tomato sauce. I phoned to let him know that if he canned them, more than likely he would need to buy a pressure canner and that I always froze my tomato sauce. He decided that is what he would do as well. I also told him his tomatoes needed to be a touch riper, but should be good to go by the weekend. I think he was a bit disappointed in his garden production this year. If he wants more tomatoes I will be able to give him some when he comes home. That way he can get as much tomato sauce as he would like.

Supper tonight is going to be a package of leftover roast beef (I actually got two packages of leftover roast frozen) made into a stroganoff type meal. Serving it over rice and with some more of the never-ending cherry tomatoes as a side.

Today I am grateful that my meeting at the church is early, and I will be cleaning a bit more out of the sewing/craft room as I take some prayer shawls there.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

Supper was kind of strange last night. Hubby had the lentil curry on his rice and of course the cherry tomatoes. I had
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Stay safe Floridacat. I hope the coming storm is not too bad.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Good morning, frugal friends. I slept hard last night, but there just wasn't enough of it. This morning is chilly. I have a really cute denim jacket with a ruffled collar -- bought a few years ago from Swap.com -- and have that on. I love it because it has nice pockets for my phone and keys.

Being a dummy about things sometimes, I've been forgetting to take the iron and B12 supplement and then wondering why I'm so tired and bruise like whoa. *duh* This is most likely because there's no longer a set lunchtime for me at work and I just have to eat whenever at my desk. Sticking a Post-It note on the computer actually works really well for me, so I will do that.

Last night I got out our old Brookstone pedometer, which is entirely mechanical, and am wearing it today to see how far I walk in day just doing my job. Running back and forth to the mail room all day feels tiring, so I'm curious as to what it amounts to in mileage.

Last night before bed I was playing with Dora Kitty, who was letting me tickle her tummy. She always grabs my hand and kicks my arm, with her claws in, and then mock bites. She loves to play fight. I tell her she's tough stuff, as most tortie cats are. :-D

FloridaCat, I hope you and your friends are okay. Hope everyone else has a peaceful day.
Mackie
casadekitty

Post by casadekitty »

Hello all,
I am up and fixing to start the next phase of the lime pickles. I will be gifting some to the girl that gave me the cucumbers. She told my DD to thank me for taking them off her hands....evidently her hub loves to garden but they don't preserve, only eat fresh. I offered some pickles and she said yes.

Right now I have the repairman at the rental working on the furnace, the top of the vent pipe had blown off last year and the renter threw it away. Evidently a bird went down the pipe, died and burned out the fan motor. So having it replaced.

I really need to do errands but want to wait until the repairman is gone in case he needs any info from me. It is a friend I have know for years, I warned him ahead a time about the renter, he called me after the visit to diagnose and told me "you were not wrong" she will talk you to death.

I will probably need to do floors after pickling, cause you know..... messy :roll:
Off to get something done.
JCKitty