Daily Check-in September 29, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LogicsHere

Daily Check-in September 29, 2022

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Couldn't sleep last night. Finally got up around midnight and did some Sudoku puzzles then went back to bed. Still couldn't sleep so I got up around 1:30.

Have been looking at the pictures of the damage thus far in Florida and it is horrific. The flooding, condos destroyed by a suspected tornado and a shark swimming on a street in Ft. Myers. It's just one of those "WOW" moments.

Florida and my sister's area was slightly more lucky with the storm hitting south where it was originally predicted to hit Tampa Bay direct but I'm sure it got its fair share of damage. Some of the pictures showed a "reverse" surge in Tampa Bay.

I have more family to call as my brother-in-law's family lives in Sarasota and they got hit pretty bad as well.

I'll probably have to try for a nap later to get me through the day.

Keeping the day open as a "whatever" kind of a day.

On my menu plan for tonight is a chicken thigh and veggies.

Well that's it for now. Have a great day.
mbrudnic

Re: Daily Check-in September 29, 2022

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,

Last night I had the Weather Channel on as the Hurricane was making Landfall. And now this morning there are videos of a couple of near misses Jim Cantore had. When Iw a watching, I was struck with the thought that it was a good thing that 2 of the reporters were wearing helmets. So glad they hit up their local Play It again Sports for baseball batting helmets. There was another wearing a swimming/diving mask to protect his eyes. Just wow!

Here we are sunny and cool, but it is supposed to be a bit warmer than yesterday, upper 60s rather than barely 60 yesterday.

I got a Thank you note with a JoAnn's gift card int he mail form my cousin for whom I made more burp cloths for. They are speaking my language.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

You will definitely need a nap this afternoon Logics. I hope you manage one.

Our power was out for two hours so I shut down my laptop and when the power came back on, I turned it back on and my front page is back to normal. I do have to log into everything it seems again this morning (even after hitting the remember me box) but at least things are working.

Hubby opened the windows last night as it was getting pretty warm and the temperature today is supposed to go to the mid 30's C. Not bad for the end of the month, and more like summer than some days actually were this year.

I decided against making more salsa right now, instead I am going to make some more tomato soup for the freezer. I need to clear out the two jars left in the freezer tonight so I feel save about adding to the mix of things already in there.

Hubby has already moved the vehicle back and has been watching video's and reading the assembly directions for the garage that arrived yesterday. I have a feeling I will be helping him put a few things together before the DS's get home. I am refusing to do too much though and plan on making him take plenty of rests. I kind of knew he would start without the help of the others and for some reason he forgets that I also have things to do in the house.

Not too many tasks today. I will probably make the soup at some point (wonder if I could throw in some of the glut of cherry tomatoes along with regular), but the main tasks are sweep floors, pick the garden, put the clean dishes away, and strip the bedding. I also hope to get a couple of strips added to the quilt top. I seem to be awfully slow at pinning and making sure I don't have the colours directly above each other. Little more difficult than I thought that would be. I may also have to make a loaf of bread to tide us over until my next shopping trip.

I must also take an early morning walk today. I have missed doing so the last couple of days and can really feel it.

Hubby dug up the potatoes yesterday and the harvest was not at all what we had hoped. There is only one 5-gallon pail, that will not last very long perhaps until Christmas. The garden really did not produce as well as it should have, so this winter I will once again be throwing all the eggshells, peelings and any other compostable item I can into a pail under the sink and then throwing them into the garden to be worked under in the spring. I think we have lost some necessary nutrients in the soil, and it is just getting tired.

Supper tonight will be tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

Today I am grateful that the weather is still nice, giving the veggie garden and the flowers a bit more time to grow.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Hello friends.

I never lost power here at the hotel and I believe the power is on at my house according to the outage map. Mom’s neighbor just texted and said she walked my property and the only damage was part of a fence - which I’m guessing is the back neighbor’s fence and surprisingly the power is on.

I had booked tonight at the hotel but may go home. I’m hoping there is no water damage. I saw the rain total for my area listed as 4.7” so no worse than a typical torrential rain. I did see that the beach community near my house where my library is located has lots of downed power lines in the street. Downed power lines is my biggest worry if I drive home.

We were spared once again, thankfully. As Logics said, however, the destruction south of us is horrific. We don’t know the half of it yet. I did see that part of the causeway to Sanibel Island was wiped out. Sanibel is (or was) so lovely and I’d been thinking of booking a few days there in November as a treat to myself for all I’ve been through with my medical issues. That’s not happening now for sure.

That’s it for now. Take care everyone and thank you for your support.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

The footage of the shark swimming in the street is really jaw-dropping. It must be as confused as everyone else down there.

It is quite chilly and windy here today. Wishing I'd worn a light coat instead of a cardigan today. The heat for our building won't be turned on until November at the earliest, so the little space heater under the desk is working hard today.

Yesterday afternoon I asked DH to check my car tires and he said he would. I asked him again a few hours later, and he said he would. At 9:30 p.m., I went outside and filled the suspect tire myself. That was not the one or possibly the only one that was setting off the low tire signal, though, because the signal was still on this morning. This afternoon I'll check and fill all the others. Will probably growl while doing it!

Tonight I need to dream up something light for my supper, having used up all the salad. There's still lettuce and boiled eggs in the fridge, so I might do something with a light egg salad in lettuce roll-ups.

FloridaCat, I hope you are staying snug in the hotel, and that everyone has a safe and peaceful day.
Mackie
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

MackerelCat wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:43 am

Yesterday afternoon I asked DH to check my car tires and he said he would. I asked him again a few hours later, and he said he would. At 9:30 p.m., I went outside and filled the suspect tire myself. That was not the one or possibly the only one that was setting off the low tire signal, though, because the signal was still on this morning. This afternoon I'll check and fill all the others. Will probably growl while doing it!

My car requires that I reset/recalibrate the Tire monitoring system after I have fixed an alert. Make sure yours does not require it. (I have a Honda CRV).