Would you evacuate?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Re: Would you evacuate?

Post by Quilter51 »

Absolutely. I don't care if I did it ten times and nothing happened. I have a child who lived thruogh a category five hurricane.

My parents used to live in beaufort SC right near hilton head. While this is not florida by any means I cannot tell you how many times my dad packed upo my mom even when she was illa nd headed for Atlanta. And then of course, Hugo came and had they not gone...
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

floridacatlover wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:56 am Unless someone lives in a hurricane prone area, I don’t think they understand how difficult it is to decide where to go or whether to go at all.

The people in southwest Florida had so little notice. The path kept shifting. Until Monday night/Tuesday morning all signs were that Tampa Bay was the target.

And where to go? People from my area evacuated to Orlando. Turned out it was worse there than here. And then there are the issues of transportation and getting gas.

I chose to go only 10 miles from home to a quite new hotel in a non-evac, non-flood zone but if we had a direct hit that could have been a bad decision.

I always remember CG taunting me 5 years ago before Irma that I was doing nothing and putting my mom at risk. The WHOLE state of Florida was in the “cone of uncertainty.” The path shifted when it came ashore and inland central Florida was slammed. Even my friends who evacuated to Georgia got hit as bad or worse than here.

The decision is not easy.

P.S. “Safe” hotels book up early. I decided to book knowing I could cancel until the day ahead. The hotel I really wanted was already booked. During Irma mom and I stayed in a hotel that this time left people in a lurch because it was in the C evac zone that had mandatory evacuation so it had to close. In Irma I was trying to find a hotel outside the state in a “safe” area and hotels were booked as far as central South Carolina.

Yes, there are shelters and that is an option. I’ve only seen photos, never been in one thankfully. You have to bring your own bedding and sleep on the floor. A person in a wheelchair has to sleep in the chair.

Some don’t have money for a hotel. Pets are a big issue, too.
Thanks for this perspective FL. You are correct, may of us have not experienced it and don't know the decision-making process.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

It is probably easier to evacuate from the south texas coastline.

When there is one on the way out there, my sister will evacuate and come up to Austin.

Now her hubby and step-son stayed behind last time. But they had everything they needed. Their house has hurricane proof windows and shutters. They have a generator. It is two stories, so I guess they could go upstairs if it flooded. They live just down the street from the back bay. But so far so good.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:56 am Unless someone lives in a hurricane prone area, I don’t think they understand how difficult it is to decide where to go or whether to go at all.

The people in southwest Florida had so little notice. The path kept shifting. Until Monday night/Tuesday morning all signs were that Tampa Bay was the target.

And where to go? People from my area evacuated to Orlando. Turned out it was worse there than here. And then there are the issues of transportation and getting gas.

I chose to go only 10 miles from home to a quite new hotel in a non-evac, non-flood zone but if we had a direct hit that could have been a bad decision.

I always remember CG taunting me 5 years ago before Irma that I was doing nothing and putting my mom at risk. The WHOLE state of Florida was in the “cone of uncertainty.” The path shifted when it came ashore and inland central Florida was slammed. Even my friends who evacuated to Georgia got hit as bad or worse than here.

The decision is not easy.

P.S. “Safe” hotels book up early. I decided to book knowing I could cancel until the day ahead. The hotel I really wanted was already booked. During Irma mom and I stayed in a hotel that this time left people in a lurch because it was in the C evac zone that had mandatory evacuation so it had to close. In Irma I was trying to find a hotel outside the state in a “safe” area and hotels were booked as far as central South Carolina.

Yes, there are shelters and that is an option. I’ve only seen photos, never been in one thankfully. You have to bring your own bedding and sleep on the floor. A person in a wheelchair has to sleep in the chair.

Some don’t have money for a hotel. Pets are a big issue, too.
Floridaat, you explained that so well - thank you for pointing out all the things those of us not in that situation don't think about. PETS...oh my goodness, could I EVER walk away from my dogs??? I don't think so!!! If they could not go with me, I would have to stay.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Do they set up shelters for folks?

I remember years ago - my mom was still alive - there was a hurricane coming to the texas coast.

Even our small town opened up the school gym as a shelter. My mom and the ladies from the church cooked meals for them. We didn't get a lot of people, but it helped the ones that showed up.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

clemencia2us wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:48 pm Do they set up shelters for folks?

I remember years ago - my mom was still alive - there was a hurricane coming to the texas coast.

Even our small town opened up the school gym as a shelter. My mom and the ladies from the church cooked meals for them. We didn't get a lot of people, but it helped the ones that showed up.
Yes, there are always many shelters but they are not comfortable at all. People have to bring their own bedding and sleep on the floor one aside another. Many are schools. No privacy. They do provide food but I’m not sure what type and they recommend bringing some food and water. People in wheelchairs have to sleep in the chairs (unless a family member can help them onto the floor, I think). I think there may be a special needs shelter but I’m not sure about that.

Some shelters take pets but I’d say it is 10-20%. The pets have to be in a crate/carrier and stay separately in another room, not with the evacuated people.

I’m only describing what I’ve heard and seen in photos. I’ve never been in a shelter. I do know they have quiet time, maybe 10 pm to 7 am. They do not allow smoking, alcohol, drugs or guns.

I must admit that going to a shelter would be a last resort for me.

For people going to hotels or with family, they advise going closer like I did rather than further away. In my county, however, most hotels are near the water and are in evacuation zones. Neighbor told me she went to Ocala (about 100 miles) and her pregnant daughter (due in November) went north of Tampa to be fairly close to a hospital in case of early labor.

If a major hurricane seems to be coming our way in the future, I think if I had enough warning and a full tank of gas I’d fill my car with my sentimental items and drive outside the state as far as I could.