Christmas 2022 Preparations

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Re: Christmas 2022 Preparations

Post by HappyDaze »

MackerelCat wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:58 pm We have a savings account that we pay into all year to fund Christmas. Our family gives gifts to charity and DH selects an Angel Child from work to buy for. We also give gift cards and whatever clothing DS needs to him for Christmas. I know DS needs shoes but he hates to shop, so he will probably get a cash gift earmarked only for shoes.

DH and I really look forward to the Angel Child. Last year he chose a baby boy and we had so much fun buying outfits and little toys.
That reminds me, Mackie, I didn't mention it before but my coworker and I are sponsoring a child together for Christmas. We'll get a profile sheet with gender, age, needs and some wants. My coworker LOVES to shop, I HATE to shop, so I'm going to give her half of what we think we will spend and she said she will do all the shopping. If she goes over I'll give her half the difference. If she is under, she can keep the change for doing all the shopping!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

oh good idea about buying gifts for needy kids

We have Blue Santa here - the police department collects gifts for kids - will have to see what they need!
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:21 pm Is anyone else working on Christmas preparations - whether gift shopping, meal planning, etc.?

Quite unplanned, but my parents' Christmas gift is bought. I knew I wanted to gift them something in the way of groceries and decided to put together a "breakfast box".

I still need to get shelf stable juice, pre-cooked bacon, dehydrated hash browns and clementines (those will go in at the last minute) but I got:

oatmeal (instant - variety pack) grits (instant, variety pack) strawberry preserves, biscuit mix, pancake mix, syrup, blueberry muffin mix, instant hot cocoa, instant coffee (what they drink), raisins. From Amazon I ordered (free except for my time doing surveys):

A book called "Breakfast - the Most Important Book About the Most Important Meal of the Day" (it has trivia, recipes, stories, etc.) and another book:"Coffee Time - Perk Up With Puzzles, Brainteasers, and Trivia".

I bought the books used - my parents give and don't mind receiving pre-owned items and I saved about $30 by going that route.

Done. And. Done. I want it all done, wrapped and ready to go by Thanksgiving. I just have DD and her SO and DS and DDIL to go - plus a "little something" for the crew at work.

We aren't "big gifters" in my family and I'm cutting back a bit more this year. For example, I would normally gift my dad and mom each something else separately - and I will not be doing that. I don't buy for or exchanges gifts with siblings and their children and grandchildren.

In terms of holiday baking I usually make just "one amazing thing" and it is usually a Christmas Toffee - but I may switch to sugar cookies this year as a favor to my budget.
That Breakfast Box sounds really nice! They will love it!
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

I am absolutely..positively..100% started on Christmas!!!
Working mostly on what I send out. I mail boxes the day before Thanksgiving.
LOVE everything about Christmas!!!
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

I haven't really done much with Christmas yet, but have thought about it.

I did an inventory of most of my Victorian village pieces; did not yet get to the "people". Have been thinking of putting up houses in two sections of my bookcase. I hadn't put anything up in a while.

I will also be putting my tree up around second week or week before Thanksgiving. I would also like to put strings of lights in the bottom portion of the two windows in my living room picture window.

Gift-giving isn't a thing we do much of any more with the exception of the 6 year old.

Despite my sister being in the area, like last year I will still probably spend the day alone as she is not big on Christmas. This could change but highly unlikely. I will do the same thing I've done for the last 2 and that is buy a meal the day before and have a plan to do something Christmas related every day. That typically started on Dec. 21st, but this year I did reserve AARP's virtual HipHop Nutcracker on the 18th, so I might see if I can extend the activities from that day forward. I came across a free audiobook on You Tube of A Christmas Carol; perhaps I can divide that up over a period of 7 to 8 days as it's slightly over 3 hours.
Last edited by LogicsHere on Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

ChristmasTrees wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:07 pm That Breakfast Box sounds really nice! They will love it!
Trees, I think they will like it. They are struggling financially and very proud so I try to give them helpful gifts disguised as "not help". Of course some of the food will go to my sister - but I can't control that.

I also love Christmas - all of it - but I am NOT a good gift giver. You know how some people can really know a person and match the gift to the person? Not me - or at least it is very challenging for me. I feel like sometimes it's been a case of "here is a THING that I picked up for you in a New York minute" - but I'm really trying to get it right this year. :?

My son and his wife need nothing and want nothing but they LOVE my chocolate chip cookies and I know they shop at Tractor Supply - so every year it is cookies and a TS gift card for them - that's easy. DD and her SO don't have room for anything - their space is very cluttered. I'll have to be very intentional with their gifts and give it a lot of thought.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz