Daily Check In November 20, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ChristmasTrees

Re: Daily Check In November 20, 2022

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Supposed to be around 17 degrees tonight....chilly!
Brought more firewood in.
Running to the store early in the morning to get sweet potatoes and apples for the pie I am bringing for our Thanksgiving dinner. I just love Thanksgiving.
Off to make dinner!
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Well another sibling had to go to the ER.

She is home already, but is on bed rest. Taking antibiotics. Upper respiratory infection from what I was told.

She was supposed to be going on our little trip this week, but won't go now. Her daughter and I are still going. Daughter really needs to get away and just decompress. Really wish sibling could go. She also needed to decompress. They are so much alike. They take in so much and always put on a happy face.

Watching the game now. COD went out to get some burgers. No cooking today!
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:48 am Good morning, frugal friends. This is going to be a bit of a rant, so if you aren't up for that on this Sunday morning, don't read.

I am frustrated to the point of tears with DD and her SO. Backstory:I have a completely flat tire, something is stuck in it - can't drive. Had to walk to and from work on Thursday, Friday - freezing cold - because...

They have been telling me for a WEEK they would be home on Friday. Then it was Saturday, then it was today - now it is tomorrow - because (QUOTE) "It was really cold outside so we didn't feel like packing up so we just stayed in the cabin." Not only am I waiting on him to change my tire...

Yesterday my neighbor asked me if I could get another driver and taken him to the VA to retrieve his vehicle because they wouldn't let him drive home from his appointment the other day - they are afraid he will have a seizure while driving. I told him about my flat tire, said "hang in there till tomorrow, DD will be home and we'll help you get your car back." Now I need to go tell him that they aren't coming today and I am dreading that. When I sent a text yesterday and asked if they would help him today, they said "sure, of course, etc."

This is MY FAULT - I seem to consistently fail to learn that what they say has no substance. If they say they are going to walk the dogs "in a minute", I think "okay, I don't need to take the dogs out - they are coming to walk them" - and two or three hours go by and then the dogs get walked. If they say they are going to organize their recycling in the garage, I end up doing it because I can't stand the mess.

Last winter when I was walking to work - because no vehicle - he asked me a couple times if I wanted a lift in the morning - I said yes please and told him what time I had to leave. Thankfully, I had the frame of mind to tell him the time I have to leave if I WALK - because he did not get up to give me a ride - "oh, sorry, I overslept."

I am sorry, but I was raised (and believe it or not, raised HER) to SHOW UP for someone if you TELL THEM you are going to SHOW UP for them - and to not say you are going to do XYZ at this time if you are NOT going to do XYZ at this time. I don't think they mean to be any type of way - just no thought to how their actions - or LACK OF actions - impact others.

Other than that - woke to blinding snow this morning but not much accumulation and it has stopped and is very sunny. Had the last of the cream of wheat cereal with a diced apple for breakfast. Dogs have been out a zillion times. One of the outdoor cats come into the back porch and I fed her - the others haven't shown themselves yet - no doubt they want to stay out of the cold.

If they don't come home tomorrow I'm going with another plan to get my tire taken care of - so need to think on that. Need to do some cooking today too. Going to make the best of the day and have a cozy, in the house and cooking sort of day. Hope you are all safe and warm.
How frustrating for you. Hmmm, wonder what they would do if the shoe was on the other foot?
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

I have heard that along with the flu and covid, RSV is making the rounds more than ever this year. Babies and young children usually get it but apparently the elderly can get it too. There is no vaccine for this and no cure. Some get hit with it worse than others.

Bev
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

Today has been a prep day. I have spent most of it cutting strips so that I can go for quite a few days on the rug (anyone who wants to see how things are going I have a picture on my blog). After 5 hours of cutting strips, Hubby recommended I take a break. Why? I managed to do something I have never done before and that was cut my finger with my rotary cutter. Ouch. I am not bleeding through the band aids, but I am not sure how badly I cut myself didn't want to check.

I still have white strips to cut and the sashing for the quilt but will do that or at least some of it while supper is cooking. I may get the icy grey knit fabric cut but probably not. No biggie as I can do that tomorrow just as easily.

I don't have heavy cream in the house so I will be subbing evaporated milk for that in the butter chicken. The taste might change a bit, but not much I am told.

Off to get the chicken cubed and browned. Perhaps some veggies cooked as well. I think the broccoli, or I could serve sliced cucumbers and dip with the meal, thus using up the cuke.

Talk to you all later.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Beverley wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:28 pm I have heard that along with the flu and covid, RSV is making the rounds more than ever this year. Babies and young children usually get it but apparently the elderly can get it too. There is no vaccine for this and no cure. Some get hit with it worse than others.

Bev
That is happening up here in Canada as well Bev. I didn't realize it could affect the elderly though.
Jackie