Daily Check In November 20, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Beverley

Re: Daily Check In November 20, 2022

Post by Beverley »

I don't have heavy cream in the house so I will be subbing evaporated milk for that in the butter chicken. The taste might change a bit, but not much I am told.

Jackie, Can you add some butter to the evaporated milk as a substitute for cream. You might find some ideas on Google.

Bev
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I have heard that too about the respiratory virus.

Jackie, I hope your chicken comes out fine. Clem, I hope your sister will be okay. Your poor family has been through it.
Mackie
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Where we are. all the RSV cases are kids.

MJ, I think you meant that long post for Happy Daze so I did not read it.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

RSV is being heavily diagnosed here in NY too - only in young children and babies as far as I know, with many children being hospitalized - it is terrible. Many parents who can are keeping their little ones at home.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:13 pm Quilter,

I am going to type what doesn't sound nice. It's not personal to YOU but your DD and her SO.

You say, "They are both the type of people who would give the shirt off of their backs and help anyone out. . ." NO. THEY ARE NOT.

They are entitled and know they can do whatever they want because there are no negative repercussions for THEM. It's not THEM that needs the tire help, so what? It's not them who was told they'd be home so said to the neighbor they would "give the shirts off their backs to help." NO, it's YOU that is worried sick about how your neighbor views you and the "help" you didn't give (I've been in this position and it feels absolutely wretched). They don't have to deal with walking the dogs while you wait as they figure you'll do it if it gets too late. They don't have to value your time because THEIR TIME is more important as are THEIR decisions. THIS is NOT how being an adult works.

I've had almost 30 years of therapy learning what I didn't learn as a kid. My shrink has often said to me, "Why do you let people do this to you? You DO NOT have to be accomodating to people who don't do a THING for you or leave you hanging. You are devaluing yourself by letting them get away with that behavior because you don't want to cause a stir." Well, now? I don't face up to people like that, as you might have to do with your DD and her SO but they are "dead to me." I can't deal with that stuff anymore. I like my plans to go as they should and stick to people who honor and respect me not only with their help BUT WITH THEIR TIME. Your daughter and her SO don't seem to give a rat's hiney about respecting you and your time BUT they sure like using you for cheap rent and easy payment on utilities.

The woman is 37. Her SO is 45ish. I'd give them a firm boot in the behind and send them out the door to look after themselves. MOMMY is done with their lies and empty promises. Sheila, you deserve more that that. YOU ARE WORTH more than that and you need to believe it. This is low passive aggressive behavior on their parts and then no doubt they will come back and lay out a "You shouldn't have told your veteran neighbor we could help." NOPE. I'd nope them right out of my house. You can get a renter who would respect you as a landlord. These two are taking advantage of you.

If this "only child" is so spoiled by his mother? Boot their behinds out of YOUR house. Let his Mommy deal with her dear little entitled boy and his SO. Why should you suffer (and this isn't the only time you've mentioned their lack of respect for you)? They are middle-aged adults and should get off their ARSES and get an apartment and live as middle-aged adults. They are not responsible to anyone but themselves and that is entitlement and selfishness. I know you didn't raise your DD that way but somewhere along the line she has learned this lifestyle and enjoys it when she can rely on other people but they cannot rely on her. No. This is just plain WRONG.

We've talked about elder financial abuse. THIS? This is elder abuse by their apathy and disrespect. Do you honestly think they'd show up if they were away and you said you were sick and needed help? I wouldn't even take a word out of their mouth as a possibility. They are abusing your good nature for cheap rent, utilities and lord knows what else. You deserve much better. Boot them to the curb and if you want some extra finances, find a QUALIFIED renter. Your DD and her SO no longer deserve any entitlements they EXPECT from you including "forgiving" "their timing."

YOU DESERVE MUCH BETTER and you have to start believing that or they will continue to take advantage of you and abuse your good nature. Remember that. YOU are worth MUCH MORE than they are "giving."

MJ

As far as the shirt off their back? I wouldn't count on that either.
MJ, yes, their time management, or lack thereof, is disrespectful. However, no need for you to come unglued and jump to conclusions about people you don't know (me included).

I was VENTING to ease my frustration about "bad behavior", not bad people - and received some very helpful suggestions from some friends here on the forum - and they did so without being rude and assaulting the character of people I care about and that they are not familiar with.

Read Quilter's reply to my rant (she made her point - KINDLY) - and take a lesson.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

HappyDaze, your week of lunches sounds delicious. I never got supper made tonight: everyone noshed on leftovers and all my cooking was for the dogs.

Glad your kitty is doing well indoors as well. My Dora Kitty came and sat in my lap for just a minute this evening. She is so sweet but not much of a cuddler.
Mackie