Daily Check In November 23, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

Re: Daily Check In November 23, 2022

Post by SandiSAHM »

MackerelCat wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:05 am Good morning, all. I slept in this morning, which has thrown me behind. I had planned to do Thanksgiving baking and give the dogs a bath, as today is the last warm day we will have for a while. Got to hustle now.

Confession time: I am so over baking. If I could find a decent gluten-free cake to take to this get-gether, money happily would be thrown at the problem.

Yesterday I did get the laundry done, although circumstances dictated using the dryer instead of hanging the wet wash to dry. Also took a pile of stuff to Goodwill and stopped at Dollar Tree for a jug of window cleaner. I could see Interstate 75 South from that shopping center and the traffic was already wall to wall.

Hope you all have a safe and peaceful day.
It's not an instant solution, but King Arthur GF baking mixes are the best I've found so far in terms of cake. Crazy expensive ($6-$7 each here, usually less via Vitacost), but we have like 4 cakes a year so, not too bad overall.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Sandi, I used a KA cake mix to make cup cakes and then made gluten-free homemade buttercream frosting and an apple crisp that is not gluten-free. The cup cakes were fully made and put away before I started on the apple crisp so as to avoid contamination.

The problem with having to do double the baking is the arthritis in my hands is really painful right now, so all the motions involved are difficult. Next year we may have only a KA dump cake and ice cream, which would be super easy.

DH helped me bathe the dogs in the laundry sink after the baking was done, and I have put a pan of chicken in to roast for supper. We will probably have baked potatoes and air fryer Brussels sprouts to go with it, which will be super easy.
Mackie
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good early evening!

A nice mild day here. We're having temps in the 50s this week. (I'm sure we'll pay for it later. :D )

The hip injection on Monday went better than any cortisone shot I've ever had. Certainly less painful, and very quick. Still a bit sore in places, but overall, feeling a lot better, though It'll probably be another day or so before it totally kicks in.

Anyway, DH is working late, so I'm puttering today. HVAC guy was here for the fall inspection and said everything looked good. Ordered a Christmas present for DH.

Soaked the shower head in vinegar most of the day ... it leaks, and I was thinking that maybe it was just gunked up from the hard water. Still leaks, and I'm tired of it spraying water outside of the shower. So I'll be ordering that replacement.

Dinner will be some leftover pizza. I considered takeout, but have no interest in going out to get it. I'd rather work on a sewing project.

Florida, you might be right about people having easy-to-prepare foods for tomorrow. I've wondered if folks are skipping the big spreads and doing smaller meals this year to save $$.

(Not Thanksgiving related, but I just heard a Wall St. Journal podcast on how Walmart has taken note of consumers' penny-pinching. Didn't cite anything out of the ordinary, but still interesting.)
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

LWolfeT, I am so glad your shot went so well.

We were talking at supper about how much we like roast chicken better than turkey and I remarked that the only people I know who are crazy about turkey don't have to cook it. Considering how little time people get off work now, I would bet not too many of them are interested at getting up at 4 a.m. to start cooking a turkey.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Good evening all. Sounds like Thanksgiving prep is underway. I will be that person out trying to find a big can of sweet potatoes the night before Thanksgiving - it's okay.

DD and her SO took my Lucy to the vet today. They wanted to take blood to check her thyroid, thinking that may be the reason she is so overweight - nope - thyroid is completely normal. We are going to try a vet recommended green bean diet - replacing one third of her food with green beans and also trying to replace her treats with green beans (fresh, frozen or salt free canned). You can laugh - it's okay - I'm laughing because - I know my Lucy and this is going to be a battle royal.

We are leaving for the store(s) in a few minutes - I'm not the only last minute Thanksgiving shopper in the house. :-) Four days off from work - looking forward to some relaxation. Hope you all have a blessed Thanksgiving tomorrow.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
casadekitty

Post by casadekitty »

Update:

It has been a great day! The weather has been so nice, sunny and 60 degrees ....just glorious. I puttered around most of the morning and early afternoon outside. I fixed a hole that got put into the shelter house by a huge tree limb during that horrible wind we got on a Saturday a few weeks ago. The same wind that put a hole in my garage roof. It may look janky but I think it will work.

Cut back the mums and brought them in to a cool storage area. Supposedly you can overwinter them this way and I am going to see if it works. Brought in firewood, not that I needed it today but for overnights.
Worked a bit on the patio and put stuff away. Found some yard decor that had been buried in leaves and got it taken care of, along with just enjoying the outdoors.

Got the chickens thawed and the cornbread dressing made, beans mixed up and everything is now ready to cook and eat.
DD2 came after work and got her dog for the time off from work. I love that dog but he is high maintenance. I don't mind doing doggy daycare but it's time she steps up. I have him in shape and IF she follows my instructions, he should be fine. My elderly dog is just so mellow, they are like night and day.

I think salad topped with chicken for supper tonight. I had jambalaya for late lunch and it is very filling.
Just going to watch TV and read this evening.

JCKitty