Daily Check In November 23, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check In November 23, 2022

Post by MackerelCat »

HappyDaze, my dogs love salt-free canned green beans, but they love a lot of fruits and vegetables. Good luck diet dieting Lucy. It is tough with ones that have been starved in the past.
Mackie
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

Good Evening Frugals,

Well the past few days have been interesting. I have a set of dining room chairs inherited from my late grandparents on my dad's side of the family passed to he and Mom and now to me. DS is fairly large in size and has broken several of them but after consulting with my furniture doctor book have determined they can be repaired. I have started with two that had the carved backs broken. I have completed one and the back is now set solid. Just a little cosmetic brushup and it will look perfect. The other chair with the broken back is still being repaired with more gorilla wood glue and weights on it to make it stronger. That will be finished tomorrow. The other 3 chair will be in various stages of repairs. If all goes well I should have my set of antique dining room chairs back as good as when I got them.

I called my brother and while talking to him discovered my gardeners were in the process of cutting down volunteer tree plants which needed to be done. After they left I went into scavenging mode (which I love to do) and rummaged through the big green waste cans. I fished out a lot of wood and threw it over the fence into my back yard. This weekend I will finish cutting off the twigs and stack along side the rest of my firewood to dry and season. So that wood will be for next year. There was a lot to be pulled out which made me happy. FYI I am one of those people that if I seem something along the roadside will check it out and load it into my van if I know I will use it. Last year I found about a dozen large clear totes and lids which I am using along with some extras to spare.

About half an hour ago I got a call from a friend who is to be going through a divorce and she was freaking out. I got her calmed down enough to tell her to bring all of her paperwork and forms over first thing Friday to be sorted out. I am not a lawyer but have a background in business and tax laws and can hopefully get everything prepped by next weeks deadline for her to reply. She may have an easier time finding a divorce attorney (after being rejected by one she contacted) if she has done her homework. At any rate she is in no shape to sort all this stuff out so I hope I can help.

Now I need to go and do some preliminary prep work for tomorrow. Cut up celery and onions for stuffing (sausage is already cooked). Yams are ready and I will bake some potatoes in the air fryer to scoop out for mashing. I am hoping to salvage the potato skins to make a snack with them.

So there you have it. Lots going on to keep me out of trouble. Will also fit in some Star Trek later.

Take care everyone!

Bev
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Have a great Thanksgiving to all who celebrate!
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Beverley wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:28 pm Good Evening Frugals,

Well the past few days have been interesting. I have a set of dining room chairs inherited from my late grandparents on my dad's side of the family passed to he and Mom and now to me. DS is fairly large in size and has broken several of them but after consulting with my furniture doctor book have determined they can be repaired. I have started with two that had the carved backs broken. I have completed one and the back is now set solid. Just a little cosmetic brushup and it will look perfect. The other chair with the broken back is still being repaired with more gorilla wood glue and weights on it to make it stronger. That will be finished tomorrow. The other 3 chair will be in various stages of repairs. If all goes well I should have my set of antique dining room chairs back as good as when I got them.

I called my brother and while talking to him discovered my gardeners were in the process of cutting down volunteer tree plants which needed to be done. After they left I went into scavenging mode (which I love to do) and rummaged through the big green waste cans. I fished out a lot of wood and threw it over the fence into my back yard. This weekend I will finish cutting off the twigs and stack along side the rest of my firewood to dry and season. So that wood will be for next year. There was a lot to be pulled out which made me happy. FYI I am one of those people that if I seem something along the roadside will check it out and load it into my van if I know I will use it. Last year I found about a dozen large clear totes and lids which I am using along with some extras to spare.

About half an hour ago I got a call from a friend who is to be going through a divorce and she was freaking out. I got her calmed down enough to tell her to bring all of her paperwork and forms over first thing Friday to be sorted out. I am not a lawyer but have a background in business and tax laws and can hopefully get everything prepped by next weeks deadline for her to reply. She may have an easier time finding a divorce attorney (after being rejected by one she contacted) if she has done her homework. At any rate she is in no shape to sort all this stuff out so I hope I can help.

Now I need to go and do some preliminary prep work for tomorrow. Cut up celery and onions for stuffing (sausage is already cooked). Yams are ready and I will bake some potatoes in the air fryer to scoop out for mashing. I am hoping to salvage the potato skins to make a snack with them.

So there you have it. Lots going on to keep me out of trouble. Will also fit in some Star Trek later.

Take care everyone!

Bev
Wow Bev, you have been busy! It is so nice of you to help your friend get her paperwork in order. I remember having to fill out those forms - net worth and debts and assets and all. I had to do my ex's for him because it absolutely overwhelmed him. :roll:

The totes you found along the road were a real score! As a fellow "scavenger" I say "way to go!"

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

HappyDaze wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:08 am Wow Bev, you have been busy! It is so nice of you to help your friend get her paperwork in order. I remember having to fill out those forms - net worth and debts and assets and all. I had to do my ex's for him because it absolutely overwhelmed him. :roll:

The totes you found along the road were a real score! As a fellow "scavenger" I say "way to go!"

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!
LOL, so I when Ex went to fill out the paperwork, I had given him my balances of my retirement accounts. When he filled out the paperwork he missed one. It made us look even. I tried to tell him he missed one and he snapped at me that if I wanted to change it I should go through my lawyer. I said it is to my advantage, so I would leave it be. I believe this is why I did not have to share any of my retirement funds.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

mbrudnic wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:50 am LOL, so I when Ex went to fill out the paperwork, I had given him my balances of my retirement accounts. When he filled out the paperwork he missed one. It made us look even. I tried to tell him he missed one and he snapped at me that if I wanted to change it I should go through my lawyer. I said it is to my advantage, so I would leave it be. I believe this is why I did not have to share any of my retirement funds.
LOL, could we have been married to the same man? My ex would not even TRY to complete his paperwork - he kept saying what he would always say when he didn't understand something and was too lazy to learn - "this is such a bunch of junk". I flat out told his lawyer that I did it for him and his lawyer pretty much said "okay, whatever" - our lawyers were definitely working together and used up all of our retainers - they just wanted our money and to be done with it.

I'm glad you didn't have to share your retirement funds. I didn't either.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz