Daily Check in Nov. 24, 2022/Shout Out to MJ

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
casadekitty

Re: Daily Check in Nov. 24, 2022/Shout Out to MJ

Post by casadekitty »

Hello all,

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

I was up before the alarm. Stuffed chickens and baked beans are in the roasters (I have 2) and the small ham is in the slow cooker with its glaze. I used a jar of the peach jam, mustard and a bit of brown sugar for the glaze as the family wants it sweet. :roll: Ham is not my favorite but anything for the family. It smells like Thanksgiving in the house LOL. I did a load of laundry and have it outside on the lines.
It isn't sunny yet and may stay overcast but at least it is supposed to be in the higher 50's.

I am still in my jammies and will probably stay in them until closer to time to go to the DD's house. My hair is washed and clothes laid out so easy-peasy....I hope.

Hope everyone has a good day. I have the parade on also.
JCKItty
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Jackie, your confusion is understandable, but it has always been that way for the US.

Shelia, I tend to switch out to my Christmas dishes Thanksgiving weekend. Ex grew up putting up the tree. My family always waited, Pink candle Sunday or the 3rd week of advent. But of my parents sare of German background. That tradition was originally putting up the Tree on Christmas eve and opening presents Christmas even so Christmas Day would be spent celebrating the Religious aspect. With Ex, he loved to go to the farm and cut down the tree the Friday after Thanksgiving, He'd set up the tree and put on the lights. He did not like hanging the ornaments, so I'd let it sit unadorned in the Living room until I was good and ready to hang the ornaments. We usually set up 2 trees. The live one was in the Living room or in our first house, the basement. The live tree would annoy my allergies if I was sitting next to it on a daily basis. So in the main living room, we put up the faux tree. I'd probably start to set up my nativity collection the first weekend of December.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

HappyDaze wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:30 am Good morning friends and happy Thanksgiving to those celebrating today.

MJ, I got your message and want to say Thank You. More understanding, acceptance and forgiveness are needed in this world and let it begin here with us. I understand the reasoning behind what you said, I accept that you reacted from a place of caring and there is nothing to be forgiven.

I was hoping to sleep in this morning but the dogs had another plan - it's okay. GOOD news - we went shopping last night and I got fresh, frozen and canned green beans for Lucy - friends, she LIKES them - A LOT!!! We are going in "baby steps" and hope to get just 5 lb. off her by year's end. She is currently at 51 lbs. Any weight she can drop will help her back and legs.

This morning, I did as the vet suggested and replaced 1/3 of her reduced portion of dog food with green beans and she ate it right up - I am very encouraged. Green beans are also to serve as the majority of her treats. DD said that the Vet said we don't know yet if Lucy will need medication for the rest of her life. They refilled her pain med but not the anti inflammatory - they want to see how she does without it.

I got canned sweet potatoes (yams, actually) for my contribution to dinner today. Goes against my "kitchen religion" - but I am *tired*. I'm going to enjoy a nice slow morning and we plan to leave here at noon to go to my parents.

Wishing you all a good day!!
So glad Lucy likes the green beans....smart dog!!!!!
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

LogicsHere wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:00 am Good morning and a Happy Thanksgiving.

I got up later this morning, but still managed to fit in at least half of my exercising and I'm good with that.

Did wake up to someone cooking something with way too much garlic in it. The aroma is SO strong that it's burning my nose and making my eyes tear.

I just turned the TV on for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade to keep in the background. It's not like years ago when I sat glued in front of the TV but then I no longer know many of the performers. It does bring back memories for me in having gone to see it in person. I will definitely be in front of the TV for Santa Claus. I'm still a believer and always will be.

When I went to pick yp my milk yesterday I stopped to look to see if I could find walnuts in the shell because that was a tradition in our house for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. I didn't see them until I was almost out the door but I took one look at the price, $8.99, and said NOPE. I did, however, remember that the store that caters to the Spanish population in our town had loose walnuts. I went there and picked up a pound of them for $3.99.

I'm also going through the food ads for next week. The store closest to me is selling pomegranates (saying on sale) 3 for $10; $3.34 for a pomegranate WOW.

I"m one of the shortcut cooks using convenience foods when I can. The only things I will be preparing from "scratch" are my turkey legs and the turnip I made yesterday. Everything else will come from a can, cup or plastic bag LOL.

Anyway have a super day all.
Logics..we always had a big bowl of nuts in the shell on the table for Thanksgiving too. I have my Mom's nut bowl..pewter with a squirrel sitting on the edge!
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Happy Thanksgiving to All! Including everyone..because..I am thankful for all of you here! Thanksgiving is such a nice holiday..all about family.
Beautiful sunny...chilly day here....perfect!
Maggie..I switch to my Christmas dishes this coming week. DH decorates the mantle this coming week too.
Hope you all have a wonderful day.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good afternoon, and happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate!

It's 50, and we're expecting rain.

Jackie, we (well, at least my generation) was taught that our " first Thanksgiving" was the Pilgrims' celebration at Plymouth Colony in November 1621. Though we didn't have a national day until 1863, when Lincoln established one on the last Thursday of November. (Changed by FDR in 1939? 1941? to the fourth Thursday in November. )

Anyway, right now it's a fairly normal day here. DH is taking care of some yardwork before it rains. I have laundry going and will tackle a couple of small things before we go out to dinner.

So, since there's not much else to report I wish you all a happy day!