What is a Good White Elephant Gift?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LogicsHere

Re: What is a Good White Elephant Gift?

Post by LogicsHere »

I always thought of the whole idea of buying a gag gift for any gift giving purpose tacky. One does not know how another person will react to such a gift. It can be embarrassing when it's for someone you work with and they don't share your sense of humor.

It's also a bad use of hard earned dollars in my opinion. There are so many other things that can be given that are not tasteless and far more appreciated.

I would go with the hot sauces or other food type gift. A nice unisex scarf, a car cupholder, a jigsaw puzzle, indoor herb garden, a fleece throw blanket, hand-held car vacuum, a car cleaning gift basket or a movie night basket from Dollar Tree products (brand name product only) a few other ideas. Go to You Tube and search for Dollar Tree Gift Basket ideas 2022. Go to Amazon and search for Gifts under $20. They have a cute mug with Yes, I need all these books. Several of the items are available for free shipping for delivery December 2nd.
Last edited by LogicsHere on Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I would go with the hot sauces.

I totally agree with Logics about white elephant gifts at a workplace. Many people will end up with useless pieces of crap that will go directly to the landfill. And to spend $20 on crap? Maybe I’m cheap.

From what you’ve said, I think your employer is an organization that helps people. What a poor message they are sending about the use of $20. Off my grinch soapbox.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:19 am
I totally agree with Logics about white elephant gifts at a workplace. Many people will end up with useless pieces of crap that will go directly to the landfill. And to spend $20 on crap? Maybe I’m cheap.
No, neither one of us is cheap; it's our frugality in practice talking.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

My complex has those, people have brought gift cards to the local supermarket.

When they do that they pack them in a much larger box or bag.

I have more than once used one of my knit Tinies. Usually the Tiny Christmas tree. Before that I would get a throw from Walmart.

Penny
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

LogicsHere wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:40 am No, neither one of us is cheap; it's our frugality in practice talking.
I completely agree with both of you!! Like I said, don't really want to!!! I should have said in my original post that people have agreed to not get gifts that are silly or useless - I honestly don't know if I would be able to participate if they were doing that!!

I appreciate your good suggestions - wrote them all down - thank you!!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:19 am I would go with the hot sauces.

From what you’ve said, I think your employer is an organization that helps people. What a poor message they are sending about the use of $20. Off my grinch soapbox.
Right there with ya! Luckily, people have agreed to not go the way of "silly" or gag gifts - thank goodness - I just could NOT.

I am going to go with the hot sauces and/or one of the items suggested by Jackie or Logics - and I doubt I will spend the full $20 - that is the limit, not the minimum. :lol:
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz