What is a Good White Elephant Gift?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Re: What is a Good White Elephant Gift?

Post by Quilter51 »

I actually look forward to these as a rule. I have done them in the workplace and both my knitting groups and my quilting groups do the yankee exchange. Sometimes the gifts are funny, sometimes not. I am one of those who generally always steals instead of keeping the gift.
ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

Beverley wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:08 pm Most of the social events I have been to over the years do the gift stealing, although it is called a Yankee gift trade. We even used to do this at work. It's fun and I have usually been pleased with what I have received.

Bev
We have decided to do this at our family Christmas this yr. Since we have lost a member the last 3 Christmas gatherings, I wanted to do something different this yr.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

They did it a few years at a church I attended. There rule was you spent no money.

So the only expense was wrapping paper.

Among the items was a funny looking headband that had been exchanged for years. I was in the middle of downsizing. Going through our. Decorations I discovered 2 nativity sets. Several very tiny trees, fully decorated. I put both in my box.

They played the stealing game. My Christmas in a box was stolen all the time.

Penny
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

itspennyc wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:21 am They did it a few years at a church I attended. There rule was you spent no money.

So the only expense was wrapping paper.

Among the items was a funny looking headband that had been exchanged for years. I was in the middle of downsizing. Going through our. Decorations I discovered 2 nativity sets. Several very tiny trees, fully decorated. I put both in my box.

They played the stealing game. My Christmas in a box was stolen all the time.

Penny
I really like the Christmas in a Box idea - and the concept of spending no money. My group would never go for it, unfortunately.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
jstore97

Post by jstore97 »

At the ones I've attended, flashlights, lottery tickets, and those sausage and cheese boxes were very popular.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

jstore97 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:09 am At the ones I've attended, flashlights, lottery tickets, and those sausage and cheese boxes were very popular.
jstore, I think those are all good suggestions and I would be happy to receive any of them - well, not so much the last one, being a vegetarian, but I think most people would love it.

Thank you for posting and Happy Holidays to you!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz