What is a Good White Elephant Gift?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Re: What is a Good White Elephant Gift?

Post by HappyDaze »

ohjodi wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:41 pm Get one of those page-a-day block desk calendars with a goofy topic.

Checking Amazon there is Shakespearean Insults , 365 of the stupidest things ever said, Animals being derps, Dog shaming, jokes

They seem to run $13-18.

White elephant gifts should be goofy or useless, or both lol
I think I once saw a candle that smelled like burned tires
We aren't doing goofy or useless gifts - thank goodness. This being my first experience EVER with this type of thing, I would not like that at all.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Well in my world white elephant is fun (sometimes tacky but generally funny).

Are you doing the dirty santa exchange with it? (pick and keep and then everyone else can steal?)

My go to is almost always funky (sometimes fuzzy sock sets) or a funny calendar that is not offensive.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Quilter51 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:42 pm Well in my world white elephant is fun (sometimes tacky but generally funny).

Are you doing the dirty santa exchange with it? (pick and keep and then everyone else can steal?)

My go to is almost always funky (sometimes fuzzy sock sets) or a funny calendar that is not offensive.
I have no idea - no clue how any of it works and (as I am sure you can tell) I have zero interest in finding out - this is a completely foreign concept to me - at 59 years old. Apparently I have been living in the dark ages. Anyway, I don't find anything about any of this to be fun or entertaining - I am sure I am probably a big old scrooge.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

Most of the social events I have been to over the years do the gift stealing, although it is called a Yankee gift trade. We even used to do this at work. It's fun and I have usually been pleased with what I have received.

Bev
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

"White Elephant" gift events are in extremely poor taste for the work place. It's not worth the risk of destroying the office atmosphere due to someone's dry or misguided sense of humor and there's ALWAYS one that fits into this category.

If there is to be a gift exchange, as Happy's office did, decide ahead of time that there would not be useless or distasteful gifts. My company held what they just called "exchange of gifts". At one point it got so distasteful, management ended the practice.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Agreed 100%, Logics. I suppose I'm an old stick in the mud but nothing about this activity screams fun to me at all - it is just making me anxious.

Charles M. Schultz