Daily Check-in November 27, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check-in November 27, 2022

Post by clemencia2us »

Jeans and jean shorts are sorted. Those going away are boxed.

Now on to leisure tops.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

DH and I went to the grocery store. I actually managed to get a few good deals: bought three little packages of marked down beef chuck that will be good for a couple of pots of soup and a roll of Jimmy Dean sausage that was 90 cents off. Also bought a big bag of Beggin' Strips for the dogs (they are safe for our allergic dog) at 60 cents less than they would be at Tractor Supply.

I saved a little on bread and eggs by purchasing store brands. I would have bought cage free eggs and paid more, but every box I picked up had cracked eggs in it.

Every week there are fewer store brands on the shelves. The latest victim was Food Lion's chili-style beans. I wound up buying a large can of Bush's chili beans, which provides a few ounces less than two cans of the Food Lion brand. I added a small chopped onion and a little water to the chili to boost the volume.

Also did a little stocking up. There are some things, like organic canned mushrooms and apple jelly, that will disappear for weeks at a time, so we buy them whenever they are in stock.

We spent $122. Of that, $21 was pet food. It's been 12 days since we last bought groceries, so that's pretty okay. I wish it was less, but when store brand medium eggs are $3.99, you do the best you can.
Mackie
casadekitty

Post by casadekitty »

Update:

Mackie, do you have an Aldi's? They have pretty good chili beans. Shrinkflation has hit the packages of bacon also what used to be 16 oz is now 12oz for the same price.

Back from playing beauty shop, DD's highlights turned out really good. They pulled up really fast so it went quicker than what I thought it would. For 11.00 she got highlights that would have cost her about 150.00 in the salon. Perfect day for it because it is rainy and cold out and everyone either watching football or laying around.
Back home and I think I will make a cappuccino and work on lists and watch a silly movie.
We really need the rain but this weather is depressing to me. So gloomy and grey....I need the sun LOL.

JCKitty
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

Good afternoon!

Turkey rice soup from the turkey carcass that was made into broth, rice bits of turkey, a few white potatoes a bit of stuffing and assorted spices simmering on the stove, I have been tasting it....BOOYAH! Unfortunately I am already full from breakfast and lunch (small portions each) so a bowl of it will have to wait until supper. But I figure the longer it simmers on the stove it will be even tastier. I still have leftovers. My friend who has hinted wanting some will be over later to take some of it off my hands. Whatever she does not take will go in the soup pot.

I will be going over to my friend's/neighbor's house to pick up a tall and a short bookcase. I probably need these like a hole in the head but they will go into my garage to be used as staging areas for my garage declutter after the holidays. As I have said previous I am a scavenger when it comes to things I know are very useful even though space is limited at the moment. She is downsizing which I should be but its hard to do when half of my household contents belong to other people. (mainly my DS).

Same friend/neighbor and I went to our local street fair just down the road from us. We live in an older, funkier part of town and events like these are so much fun. We visited a food truck and each paid way too much for lobster rolls but they literally melted in your mouth. Sometimes ya just gotta take the plunge and try something new and different.

Florida thanks for sending the link to the article that talks about shrinkflation. I too see that all the time especially with ready to eat boxed cereal.

Well off to do a little work on my chairs. Have a great afternoon!

Bev
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I've stayed right in bed most of the day except to get up every couple hours and do a steam treatment - that is what seems to help the most - breaks things up, makes me sneeze - all good things.

DD ordered me some pizza - the only thing that sounded good at all - I haven't really eaten - unless you consider veggie broth and orange juice eating - since Thursday. At about 10 this morning, I was suddenly starving. They ordered it from the last place I would order from - but it's the thought that counts.

SO just got back from walking Hope and is feeding the cats now - DD is in "phase 1" of whatever this illness is - says she is fine but I know better. She says she will come out later and sit in the kitchen (next to the bathroom) while I take a hot shower - which sounds heavenly.

I am getting weary of being in this bed.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

HappyDaze, I was afraid the kids might catch whatever you have since it hit you like a train. Neither of them has asthma, though, right? That's the worrisome thing with a respiratory illness.

JCKitty, we do have an Aldi, but DH is such a particular eater that we shop there only on trips when we don't need anything for him. Their chili beans are good! He liked the somewhat oniony chili I made for him. I think onions improve most things. :-D

I cannot get over how much stuff is going up in price sitting on the shelves. Sunkist makes a powdered lemon-lime drink mix that used to be 99 cents for a box with eight tubes in it. Each tube goes in 16 ounces of water. I have never seen anyone buy this stuff except me, once in a blue moon. (It's not very sweet and is kind of bland.) It jumped in price up to $1.09, then $1.29 and this week was $1.59. I wish I'd put a tiny pencil mark on the outward facing box on the shelf to see if it is actually the same box sitting there.
Mackie