Shrinkflation

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Shrinkflation

Post by floridacatlover »

Here is a great story from the NYT. A man after my heart.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/26/climate/fighting-shrinkflation-consumer-products.html
HappyDaze

Re: Shrinkflation

Post by HappyDaze »

What a fabulous article! I love that he is also fighting against the digital discount coupons, which I also find difficulty to use.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I like to read the comments
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

FloridaCat, that is an awesome article. Thank you for pointing it out! Loved the comment that recommended not spending because money is power.

Trying to figure out a good price on toilet paper gives me a headache. And I just noticed that the store brand granola bars we buy have become a little shorter. They used to fill the wrapper and now I can pinch the empty end between thumb and fingers.

The butter versus margarine issue is controversial for cooks, but I noticed that Blue Bonnet and Imperial margarine now have so little vegetable oil in the product that they would not be suitable for baking.

I don't use digital coupons because I am leery of giving so much access to my phone.
Mackie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

MackerelCat wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:25 am FloridaCat, that is an awesome article. Thank you for pointing it out! Loved the comment that recommended not spending because money is power.

Trying to figure out a good price on toilet paper gives me a headache. And I just noticed that the store brand granola bars we buy have become a little shorter. They used to fill the wrapper and now I can pinch the empty end between thumb and fingers.

The butter versus margarine issue is controversial for cooks, but I noticed that Blue Bonnet and Imperial margarine now have so little vegetable oil in the product that they would not be suitable for baking.

I don't use digital coupons because I am leery of giving so much access to my phone.
In the comments, some people mention that smaller sizes are sometimes a better deal than larger sizes. Even without my coupon, it was less expensive to buy two 28-bag boxes of Hefty bags than one 56-bag box. Your recent experience buying individual boxes of Mac and cheese rather than the multipack “deal” is similar.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:22 pm In the comments, some people mention that smaller sizes are sometimes a better deal than larger sizes. Even without my coupon, it was less expensive to buy two 28-bag boxes of Hefty bags than one 56-bag box. Your recent experience buying individual boxes of Mac and cheese rather than the multipack “deal” is similar.
I really think companies are counting on panicky shoppers to not do the math and just grab the large package, assuming it is a good deal. There are too many shenanigans going on lately, though. Gotta do the math or get taken to the cleaners!
Mackie