One More Reason I Am Frugal/Cheap

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: One More Reason I Am Frugal/Cheap

Post by MackerelCat »

One thing you can be sure of, it's going to rain. And we frugal folk have put in a lot of effort to make sure we have a good financial umbrella.

I've gone to the register at the drugstore with ginger ale, juice, canned chicken soup and crackers and had the clerk kindly say, "You must have sick folks at home," and I was so glad not to have to make another stop to buy those things.
Mackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Sing it HappyDaze. This is what it is hard to get across to people sometimes.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Your situation and my own current cluster you know what is why although I consider myself frugal I really need to work on savings any way I can in the new year. At least a month's rent worth. LIve and learn.

I mean usually I'm just happy to go without things, but I need to be prepared.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Quilter, I think having that month's rent in the bank will give you a lot of peace of mind. I am working on saving 6 months of living expenses. It's challenging to be sure.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Quilter51 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:35 pm Your situation and my own current cluster you know what is why although I consider myself frugal I really need to work on savings any way I can in the new year. At least a month's rent worth. LIve and learn.

I mean usually I'm just happy to go without things, but I need to be prepared.
You can do it, Quilter! I know it will take you some time to get over this pension glitch, but the idea you’ve stated previously about putting your COLAs into sinking funds/emergency funds is good. I used to to this with raises back when I was working, pretend that I was living on my old salary and put the raise into savings.

I admire that you fully live life and have a lot of social activities and I think you should keep those as priorities, too, IMO.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Yes! I am so behind here from DH's illness...didn't even blink when I paid someone else to give our house a thorough cleaning. That is what the savings are for.