Daily Check-in December 2, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Re: Daily Check-in December 2, 2022

Post by HappyDaze »

casadekitty wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:44 pm Update:

Got the house warm and cozy then bathed the dog. As predicted, he was not happy with me during the bathing but quickly forgave me after drying him off and lots of snuggles and scritches. He looks and smells so much better. Tomorrow I will trim his skirts and face.
I called the meat dept. of the pricey store and ordered a 5 # arm roast, the one I bought and cooked on Monday was so good. I wanted a bigger one to cook, cool and thinly slice. It made some of the best hot beef sandwiches we have had. I also picked up some more of the on-sale hotdogs, we are going to open the woodstove and have an inside hot dog roast.
DD's are having trouble finding the cat food they use, I told them when they do find it to buy 2 because I have had trouble finding it also. I think grocery shopping has turned into an Olympic sport.
Floors are all done except for the sunroom, I will do it here in a bit. Taking a break.

Sheila, your sister sounds like a real piece of work...you sound like you have a good mental handle on the situation. She also sounds like she might be jealous of you, not enough to change her ways just enough to make her seethe with resentment.
JCKitty
Kitty, you nailed it, I think. She may be jealous. That makes me feel bad though. Yes, I have been lucky and blessed in my life. I have also worked HARD (multiple jobs at once) scrimped and done without. Nobody gave me anything that I have.

My sister and her children are of the "if you have .50 cents, spend a dollar" mindset - never money for gas or other necessities, always borrowing 5 bucks from somebody to scrape by - but if they have $30, they'll spend it on takeout rather than save it - you get the idea.

I know it is difficult dealing with my dad - he can't hear - AND - he doesn't listen. I know she has her hands full. I just keep going back to she doesn't have anything else to DO!!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Shiela, Kitty may well be right, but it does sound like she has made some choices to get there it's not all circumstance.

Someone may have to gently remind her that unfortunately these situations will rise up again (old age rears it's head for the best of us) and she mayface this situation or something like it again.

I agree that shopping takes some creativity. I see in my local Kroger ad that they have bonelss chuck for 3.77 which is about as low as it goes around here, so I will probably get two small ones, one for italian beef for sandwiches and one for some kind of pot roast later on. They also have prgresso soup for 1.29. It used to go on sale for 99 cents but I dunno if we can expect that any more.

Leaving my liing room a mess for my appointment as I iam in the "pulling christmas out and putting fall away" phase. Sigh.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Progresso soup for $1.29 is an excellent price these days. It's often a buck more here.

Quilter, I hope you can get your cash flow troubles straightened out, hon. Everything is hard lately. (((Hugs)))

Grocery shopping is more like military strategic planning these days. Every dollar is a soldier sent into battle with inflation! I study the grocery ads like there's going to be an exam. *sighs*

DH gave me a $5 off anything coupon for the hardware store, which knocked the cost off the leather conditioner down to $7.99. On the way home I stopped at a supermarket we don't shop at (too expensive) that has good deals on generics in their little pharmacy. I bought a bottle of acetaminophen and then found a loaf of bread on clearance for 75 cents, so it was a good trip.

When I got home, I heated up some leftovers for lunch, fired up the laptop and looked at my last paystub from work (as suspected, they charged me for a month of parking when I worked only 11 days of the month - no getting the money back because they are SOBs), and updated some stuff with my online banking.

Then I worked some more on a budget and realized the gaping hole is one of our credit cards, which I have to talk to DH about. He has a ton of online magazine newspaper subscriptions and we just can't afford that many, not unless we just give up eating!

Got to go give this herd of dogs a snack. Hope you all have a good evening.
Mackie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

OMG - yes that is an excellent price for Progresso - my go to soup. I am happy if it is 1.75 at the Family Dollar.

I like to keep several cans on hand. Good quick meal.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

MackerelCat wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:14 pm Progresso soup for $1.29 is an excellent price these days. It's often a buck more here.

Quilter, I hope you can get your cash flow troubles straightened out, hon. Everything is hard lately. (((Hugs)))

Grocery shopping is more like military strategic planning these days. Every dollar is a soldier sent into battle with inflation! I study the grocery ads like there's going to be an exam. *sighs*

DH gave me a $5 off anything coupon for the hardware store, which knocked the cost off the leather conditioner down to $7.99. On the way home I stopped at a supermarket we don't shop at (too expensive) that has good deals on generics in their little pharmacy. I bought a bottle of acetaminophen and then found a loaf of bread on clearance for 75 cents, so it was a good trip.

When I got home, I heated up some leftovers for lunch, fired up the laptop and looked at my last paystub from work (as suspected, they charged me for a month of parking when I worked only 11 days of the month - no getting the money back because they are SOBs), and updated some stuff with my online banking.

Then I worked some more on a budget and realized the gaping hole is one of our credit cards, which I have to talk to DH about. He has a ton of online magazine newspaper subscriptions and we just can't afford that many, not unless we just give up eating!

Got to go give this herd of dogs a snack. Hope you all have a good evening.
yes Maggie I too am guilty of subscribing and never using. I was looking at my online bank statement and realized that I need to cut those out. Ten dollars here and there do add up.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

Well all strips and trims are sewn on the quilt. I have even sewn the borders together and need to pin them on to the quilt.... Not as much done as I had hoped but I can see the difference each time I sew now.

I did get the draught dodgers sewn, need to turn them right side out and then fill and sew closed. I will do that first thing in the morning before even starting the quilt.

The tree is half decorated (well almost half decorated), and I had to toss a few broken ornaments. No great loss as I have lots. I will work on it again tomorrow and try to get it finished.

Also entered all the budget and filed away the paperwork. Under total budget once again, but over budget in groceries and household maintenance (not by much in either category). I did buy loads of meat this month and also lots of baking supplies so the overage should not have surprised me.

Wonder if the pain in my neck, arm and shoulder could cause me to have problems breathing. It hurts sometimes. This keeps up and I will be making a doctor appointment.

Tomorrow's craft projects will be finishing off the tree, sewing the border on the quilt (and giving it a good ironing), washing and ironing the backing for the quilt, finishing the draught dodgers, and cutting lots of strips of knit fabric. I may start the strip cutting tonight.

Off to set the table and check on the marinating fish fillets. No rest for the wicked.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/