is it me, or is this creepy?(death and cremation)

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

Re: is it me, or is this creepy?(death and cremation)

Post by SandiSAHM »

If they were close in life I guess it makes sense they'd be close afterward. If he didn't want his ashes scattered it also gives him a final resting place in a "2 for the price of 1(?)" kind of way. I don't think it's creepy.

What I do find disturbing is what happened to my step-FIL's ashes. Of his seven children, five are still living. They split his ashes :shock: among them. Each has roughly 1/5. THAT strikes me as odd even though I know the body after death is nothing more than, really, after cremation - carbon. My mother offered me some of my father's ashes before his urn was interred. No, thanks, passing on that...

I guess I just like the idea of disposition being singular for ALL the cremains - I want all my ashes together under that maple tree, or if I change my mind later, scattered at my favorite beach. ALL, at one time.

It's an individual thing.
icfrugal2

Post by icfrugal2 »

ohjodi wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:39 pm If I understand it, Sister wants to be buried in a casket, with the urn containing her Brother's ashes inside the casket along with her?

I don't see anything wrong or strange about that. She loved her brother, and took care of him. She sees this as continuing to care for him, and they won't be lonely.

There are cases where a parent is buried with a small child or infant, if they died together. Or two infants together. Sharing with an urn is the same, IMO.
Thank your for your point of view. :D

She will have some of her brother's ashes, in an urn in her casket with her. Hopefully, not for a long, long, long time.

Yes, her casket will be next to their mothers. great point.

IC
icfrugal2

Post by icfrugal2 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:13 pm If they were close in life I guess it makes sense they'd be close afterward. If he didn't want his ashes scattered it also gives him a final resting place in a "2 for the price of 1(?)" kind of way. I don't think it's creepy.

What I do find disturbing is what happened to my step-FIL's ashes. Of his seven children, five are still living. They split his ashes :shock: among them. Each has roughly 1/5. THAT strikes me as odd even though I know the body after death is nothing more than, really, after cremation - carbon. My mother offered me some of my father's ashes before his urn was interred. No, thanks, passing on that...

I guess I just like the idea of disposition being singular for ALL the cremains - I want all my ashes together under that maple tree, or if I change my mind later, scattered at my favorite beach. ALL, at one time.

It's an individual thing.
YES!!! that is part of it, she will have a small part of his ashes buried, in an urn with her in her casket.

Thank you

IC
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

I once did some research on cremation. The Catholic Church is OK with it now BUT, the remains must be complete and undivided. They also can't be kept at home by anyone. They must be immediately placed in a sacred place after the funeral.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

LogicsHere wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:20 am I once did some research on cremation. The Catholic Church is OK with it now BUT, the remains must be complete and undivided. They also can't be kept at home by anyone. They must be immediately placed in a sacred place after the funeral.
My sister's ex-husband is in her garage.
ohjodi
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

ohjodi wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:34 am My sister's ex-husband is in her garage.
Bless your sister! If my ex-husband is in my garage, he better be cleaning it.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz