Major Price Increases Early In 2023?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Major Price Increases Early In 2023?

Post by HappyDaze »

I heard on one of the YouTube channels I watch - Under the Median maybe - that there will be fierce price increases across the board early in 2023 - right after the holiday season winds down. Food, household goods, you name it.

Of course just when I am thinking "new phone" (well, refurbished) and "new laptop".

Have any of you heard this? Are you stocking up on anything in preparation? It will be in conjunction with increased energy costs - so - yikes.

My freezer and pantry are stuffed to the gills. I wish I had a better stock of pet food - I'll be seeing to that. I need to fill my car with gas, make some draft stoppers (using towels right now - I need the towels back for - well, towels).

I want to step up the survey taking, etc. after the first of the year - every little bit will help.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Re: Major Price Increases Early In 2023?

Post by MackerelCat »

Pet food is already pretty expensive, as is anything containing vegetable oil. A 15 ounce container of soft vegetable oil/ butter spread costs $5 here. A regular size bottle of cooking oil is $8-plus.

Our pantry and freezer are in good shape, and I laid in a stock of laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, bar soap and paper towels before I stopped working. I dothe best I can to buy pet food in quantity, but it can mean spending $150 at a whack on their food.
Mackie
icfrugal2

Post by icfrugal2 »

on the other hand, Mcdonald's large coffee has gone from, .99 to 1.99 to 1.29 !!!

Interesting.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

I listen to some of those vlogs as well, but you can't let what one vlogger says about price increases being astronomical after the new year throw you into a panic . . . no one has a crystal ball with all the answers. All you can do is expect that some will continue to go up and work with what you've got. Personally I think a lot of this so called inflation is the result of price gouging in addition to the effect of COVID and the Federal Bank trying to crush the stock market. When a product goes up 25% or more in a month that's not inflation, that price gouging.

My suggestion would be is to try to make sure you keep as full a pantry as you can because if you run it down it costs far more to replace at one time. Whenever you see something on sale that you eat frequently and that stores well, if you have the money buy some additional.

I keep a full pantry so that when I'm on the verge of running out of chicken I can buy just chicken that month because I have enough of everything else. In my area chicken prices have been coming down. I have one local market that has advertised boneless chicken breasts for $1.79 for the last 2 weeks.

I'm eating spaghetti on average 4 days a month, fitting in pancakes and pastina 2 to 4 times a month and eggs at least twice a month for dinner. I'm also eating soup a couple days a month. Now of course, it's just me so it makes it a bit easier.

Menu planning is also key here and in some ways changing your eating habits.

I dropped my food budget significantly since COVID and have been keeping my food costs under $200 a month. Mackie said the other day she goes through the food ads with a fine tooth comb. So do I, the instant they become available.

I've been using my Chase rewards money towards "free" things from the drugstore as well as the supermarket. I don't like the third party cash payments that Pinecone is using so I recently looked at Amazon and currently use some Pinecone points for Amazon credits. I saw that I can buy a physical VISA or Mastercard. True there is a purchase fee of between $4 and $5 dollars, but right now I have over 20,000 points sitting at PineCone and nothing I want and they don't offer physical gift cards for anything I need.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:00 pm I heard on one of the YouTube channels I watch - Under the Median maybe - that there will be fierce price increases across the board early in 2023 - right after the holiday season winds down. Food, household goods, you name it.

Of course just when I am thinking "new phone" (well, refurbished) and "new laptop".

Have any of you heard this? Are you stocking up on anything in preparation? It will be in conjunction with increased energy costs - so - yikes.

My freezer and pantry are stuffed to the gills. I wish I had a better stock of pet food - I'll be seeing to that. I need to fill my car with gas, make some draft stoppers (using towels right now - I need the towels back for - well, towels).

I want to step up the survey taking, etc. after the first of the year - every little bit will help.
I have not heard this and in fact have read the opposite for non-food items. Retailers have built up an excess of inventory and are desperate to get rid of it over the holidays thus the endless pre- and post-Black Friday sales. What they don’t sell before Christmas will be sold at fire sale prices in winter and spring according to the business news I’ve read. So when you go to buy a new phone or laptop you might find good prices if you are willing to buy last year’s models.

As for food it is hard to tell. I am only stocking up (and in a limited way) if I see very good prices on an item I buy regularly. I have seen more sales recently.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:21 am I have not heard this and in fact have read the opposite for non-food items. Retailers have built up an excess of inventory and are desperate to get rid of it over the holidays thus the endless pre- and post-Black Friday sales. What they don’t sell before Christmas will be sold at fire sale prices in winter and spring according to the business news I’ve read. So when you go to buy a new phone or laptop you might find good prices if you are willing to buy last year’s models.

As for food it is hard to tell. I am only stocking up (and in a limited way) if I see very good prices on an item I buy regularly. I have seen more sales recently.
Floridacat, what you have heard makes much more sense. I care nothing about having the latest model - and everything about having a good piece of equipment that works - so that is encouraging.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz