Very specific need for unhoused groceries - need input

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Re: Very specific need for unhoused groceries - need input

Post by Quilter51 »

Well my church has one of those food pantries that is like a library so here are my thoughts.

I tend to buy cans with pop tops even though they are a bit more or provide a can opener. Canned soups that are complete like progresso or Campbells chunky CAN be eaten cold. As can canned vegetables and fruits. Some may be able to access a microwave at a shelter or at a gas station depending. Peanut butter crackers provide alot of energy.

Please do not provide regular granola bars to the homeless as most of them are dentally challenged. This is a mantra I need to repeat annually. Most homeless cannot eat them. Other bars like nutrigrain area different story. The same, in general, with apples. Bananas, cuties and other single fruits are a better idea of going with fresh. choclate candy and soft cookies are also nice as a treat.

Cheese works well and wills tay staple, I have thought about making the homemade equivalent of lunchables more than once.

Also if homeless people are mobile, it may be appropriate to gift a card for a local grocery so that they can shop on their own especially if these are families living in their car
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Although I said this in another post, please do not give the homless hard granola bars or nuts unless you know the client specifically. Many if not most homeless are dentally challenged and the granola bars will not help them. panut butter and peanut butter crackers, bars like nutri grain or soft breakfast cookies are a better choice.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

I know this thread is about food so I will add that SNACKS like cookies and maybe a bag or two of REAL snacks like Doritos or Cheetos or such is something people want/like but would never want ask for because it seems so "not needed." But the unhoused are also human and we all like our snacks now and again. Cookies too.

At the soup kitchen, where I go for lunch, there are many unhoused people that come in for lunch too. The bread bank gets lots of use but when there is milk or packages of cookies? A big rush is on to see who will be able to snag some cookies and milk. So there are some more ideas.

Now to my Non-food item. SOCKS! If you are unhoused or even poor, socks isn't one of those major purchases BUT is essential as they are on their feet most of the day, don't have shoes that fit properly or boots. Socks get dirty and wet and then are VERY unhealthy for the feet. You can buy big packages of socks at Wal-mart for less than $10 and then give 2 pair in each package you make up. It might not seem like much but we have sock drives in Winnipeg and Brandon for these items because they are essential for health especially when unable to bathe regularly and keep feet clean. It's also important to prevent foot ulcers and such that can come from wet feet.
Hope has a good imagination.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

How about the individual cups of fruit in plastic that come four in a pack (Dole, Del Monte or store brand) or applesauce in individual cups. Both the fruit cups and applesauce have peel off lids and would be good for those with dental problems.

Oh, I see now that Sandi has already thought of the fruit cups and applesauce.

Socks is a good idea. The big homeless shelter in my area is always looking for new socks.

For some homeless or struggling families, new underwear is a good idea. Years ago I wrote a story about charities in Florida and my favorite was an organization in Jacksonville that focuses on underwear for children.