Very specific need for unhoused groceries - need input

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

Very specific need for unhoused groceries - need input

Post by SandiSAHM »

It's that time, providing food for those who just need help and have a stable place to live and those who don't - one, in particular, who lives in his car. No heating, no sink.

We can think of peanut butter, bread, applesauce and fruit in those little individual cups...

The cost of jelly in 1/2 oz packages is astronomical!

Even those of us who camp - camping has fire, and you can't start one of those in your car and can't have an open fire in like a container in the city, either - are kind of stumped on this one. Then I thought - Aha!! The FORUM! They have great ideas!

Any ideas?

We also thought water, in jugs. Not that it helps much as he still has no access to heat, it at very least provides clean water.
MackerelCat

Re: Very specific need for unhoused groceries - need input

Post by MackerelCat »

I have seen coffee cup heater things that plug into the accessory port on a car.

There's also a type of MRE type meal that heats itself by breaking a little chemical pack inside the plastic. The food bank back home called them heater meals.

Water and baby wipes would help the person stay clean.
Mackie
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Keep in mind that those car heaters drain battery fiercely. Protein is what you want to be focused on so thinks like canned tuna (peel top is ideal but a can opener is cheap), Vienna sausages, even spam. Crackers to be filling and eat with these proteins. Granola bars, shelf stable milk. I think a lot of gas stations and convenience stores have microwaved that they might be able to use. Good luck.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

If the person likes fruit, bananas are cheap and very healthy as well as a bag of apples. You can also get chicken, roast beef and corned beef in cans as well from what I recall seeing on the shelves a few weeks ago. Although the meat in the cans is not as economical as tuna.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Not cheap but no heating needed,

Canned ham, canned chicken, readymade granola, granola bars, breakfast bars, and if they are living in their vehicle refrigeration would not be a problem so sausage sticks, and sandwich meat.

I would add in a couple of garbage bags as well.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Maybe some nuts for protein and some cheese sticks, one of those summer sausage sticks?
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz