Daily Check-in December 4, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Prairie Waif2

Re: Daily Check-in December 4, 2022

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

clemencia2us wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:41 pm 54-19 Dallas wins - now time to got to sleep :mrgreen:
Dallas just rolled over them! I was starting to feel bad for the other team. What humiliation. Bet their coach has a lot to say while they are watching films this week!
Hope has a good imagination.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

LogicsHere wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:25 am I have gotten my coloring books from various sources (dollar stores, directly from author's site, Amazon, Dover Publications). The majority of the pages I color I've downloaded from Pinterest. I actually have been disappointed with buying complete coloring books because I rarely find enough pages of interest to justify the price. I have given away about 2 dozen of them but have kept about 15 of them. The Recreation Manager also makes copies of pages for us to pick and choose from and these she also gets from Pinterest.

I have colored only in 2 of my coloring books, 1 a dollar store book which use very thin paper and print on both sides and another one I purchased from Five Below several years ago. I don't usually color in my books and have done so in only 2 of them. My reasoning for this is that I have what I call failures and if I had one in a coloring book I truly liked I wouldn't be able to keep it as I feel I ruined the entire book. When I want to color a page from one of them, I scan it and print on cover stock, Neenah Bright White, 65 lb. I've found that the color lays down better. And the color moves easier when you're using a transparent color blender.

My group colors a little bit of everything. Some have actually bought picture frames and ornaments that you color. We use gel pens, glitter pens, watercolor pencils, and wax and oil based pencils. And yes, we did have a member use crayons when she came to the group and had forgotten her pencils during a period of COVID when the library wasn't putting their supplies out for use. I started using colored pencils and did experiment with the glitter and nonglitter gel pens, but had so many problems with them I gave up. I threw two sets out in the garbage. I also find in coloring with gel pens the picture looks "flat". But with colored pencil, you can make images appear 2 and 3 dimensional.

I also have gone a bit overboard with my pencil collection and know I will never use all of them but I haven't treated myself with something in a long time and felt that it was time. I keep Crayola, Craz-e-Art, Derwent, Feela, Shuttle Art, Prismacolor, StarJoy, Kalour, Soucolor, Guang-Hui, CCFound and a brand named DBDSZYH. I also have 3 sets of watercolor pencils.
Wow, I have barely dipped a toe in the water! Thank you for all of the good information. I'm putting watercolor pencils on my Christmas list that DD wants me to make.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

HappyDaze wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:23 pm Wow, I have barely dipped a toe in the water! Thank you for all of the good information. I'm putting watercolor pencils on my Christmas list that DD wants me to make.
An FYI, you can't use watercolor in a coloring book unless it specifies that you can or without a special process being done to the paper first. The pages will shrivel and/or pocket. You would also have to protect the pages underneath somehow as the water would go right through the entire coloring book.

I've had watercolor pencils for quite some time and never used them for that reason. I saw a technique on how to "prepare" a page so that you can use watercolors on You Tube. I can't remember at the moment whether she used in in a coloring book or used a separate piece of cover stock. She coated the paper with a product called transparent Gesso. I just recently bought it and haven't yet had the chance to try it.

I would recommend holding off on the watercolor pencils for a while if I were you. This media also produces "flat" artwork. I don't know if you know Chris Cheng but her art is fantastic. Here is the URL to her latest video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M20JPXY4o5s&t=2378s

She actually makes the icing and the filling in the cookies look real all using regular colored pencils.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

LogicsHere wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:56 am An FYI, you can't use watercolor in a coloring book unless it specifies that you can or without a special process being done to the paper first. The pages will shrivel and/or pocket. You would also have to protect the pages underneath somehow as the water would go right through the entire coloring book.

I've had watercolor pencils for quite some time and never used them for that reason. I saw a technique on how to "prepare" a page so that you can use watercolors on You Tube. I can't remember at the moment whether she used in in a coloring book or used a separate piece of cover stock. She coated the paper with a product called transparent Gesso. I just recently bought it and haven't yet had the chance to try it.

I would recommend holding off on the watercolor pencils for a while if I were you. This media also produces "flat" artwork. I don't know if you know Chris Cheng but her art is fantastic. Here is the URL to her latest video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M20JPXY4o5s&t=2378s

She actually makes the icing and the filling in the cookies look real all using regular colored pencils.
YIKES! Thank you again, Logics, for all the tips and information! Maybe we'll go with regular colored pencils - I could really use a new set. I have also been using crayons and find I can get a lot of texture/layering with them - but crayons are challenging in the "adult" coloring books - the designs tend to be so intricate.

I like the books that let you tear out the pages - I have one on my frige that says "Keep Life Simple" and the phrase is surrounded by flowers = love that.

Thanks for the video - I wish I had time to sit and watch it this morning - but I'm enjoying the music while I get ready for work.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

HappyDaze wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:48 am YIKES! Thank you again, Logics, for all the tips and information! Maybe we'll go with regular colored pencils - I could really use a new set. I have also been using crayons and find I can get a lot of texture/layering with them - but crayons are challenging in the "adult" coloring books - the designs tend to be so intricate.

I like the books that let you tear out the pages - I have one on my frige that says "Keep Life Simple" and the phrase is surrounded by flowers = love that.

Thanks for the video - I wish I had time to sit and watch it this morning - but I'm enjoying the music while I get ready for work.
If you really want to get another set of pencils, ask your daughter for the 150 set of Prismacolor. They are expensive, but when you run down a pencil or two they can be replaced individually so that you don't have to buy another complete set as you do with the budget pencils.