In Other Financial News...

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

In Other Financial News...

Post by HappyDaze »

DD's bank card was hacked. Her credit union was all over it and no damage done.

Someone in Australia used it for two very small transactions - probably testing it out getting ready to make some bigger transactions. One was the purchase of less than $5 in cryptocurrancy and another a contribution to a charity in Australia for less than $5.

Both charges have been reversed, the card cancelled and they are sending her a new one. She checks her account online multiple times per week but her CU caught it before she did and called her. Nice to know they are paying attention.

I check my accounts at least once a day, usually multiple times a day - just a habit. Have you ever had any accounts get hacked? How do you protect yourself/accounts?
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
clemencia2us

Re: In Other Financial News...

Post by clemencia2us »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:17 pm DD's bank card was hacked. Her credit union was all over it and no damage done.

Someone in Australia used it for two very small transactions - probably testing it out getting ready to make some bigger transactions. One was the purchase of less than $5 in cryptocurrancy and another a contribution to a charity in Australia for less than $5.

Both charges have been reversed, the card cancelled and they are sending her a new one. She checks her account online multiple times per week but her CU caught it before she did and called her. Nice to know they are paying attention.

I check my accounts at least once a day, usually multiple times a day - just a habit. Have you ever had any accounts get hacked? How do you protect yourself/accounts?
Just once. I had used a debit card at gas station - pay at the pump. Never again. People were putting those scanners or whatever they are called to get peoples card info. So now strictly credit card.

I check my accounts daily.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Our Master Card has been hacked THREE times. No damage to us. MC covered it and sent us new cards. What a huge pain in the neck.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:17 pm DD's bank card was hacked. Her credit union was all over it and no damage done.

My Visa was hacked about a month ago. The bank caught it.
I have no idea how. And these days, I am not sure if you can. But if buying online, make sure the site is secure and not questionable. And use a real credit card. When using a self-serve swipe, check the swiping mechanism to make sure it is one piece and someone has not put a skimmer on it. And check your account often.

That said, I use my debit card a lot. I use it for Gas groceries and other purchases.

There was a time when Ex was traveling to VA, he had his card hacked. It seemed a waitress made a copy of his card at the restaurant. Then it was used for purchase plus cash back at a grocery store.

It is hard to prevent some of these, so you want to catch it as quickly as possible, inform the bank that there are unauthorized transactions and they can go to work. My Dad has a card and has it set up so he gets a text message every time a transaction is processed. It can be pretty funny after paying for a dinner out, he gets a text message. My bank will send me an email when they see a charge that is not typical of me or is out of my local area.

The hackers are out there and pretty creative, but the bank fraud departments are keeping up.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

mbrudnic wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:58 pm My Visa was hacked about a month ago. The bank caught it.
I have no idea how. And these days, I am not sure if you can. But if buying online, make sure the site is secure and not questionable. And use a real credit card. When using a self-serve swipe, check the swiping mechanism to make sure it is one piece and someone has not put a skimmer on it. And check your account often.

That said, I use my debit card a lot. I use it for Gas groceries and other purchases.

There was a time when Ex was traveling to VA, he had his card hacked. It seemed a waitress made a copy of his card at the restaurant. Then it was used for purchase plus cash back at a grocery store.

It is hard to prevent some of these, so you want to catch it as quickly as possible, inform the bank that there are unauthorized transactions and they can go to work. My Dad has a card and has it set up so he gets a text message every time a transaction is processed. It can be pretty funny after paying for a dinner out, he gets a text message. My bank will send me an email when they see a charge that is not typical of me or is out of my local area.

The hackers are out there and pretty creative, but the bank fraud departments are keeping up.
Way, way back in the day, my ex DH's card was hacked by someone who worked in a truck stop he went to. It was used to order pizza from a lot of various pizza places in the Cleveland area and have it delivered to a lot of different addresses.

I caught the first charge on the credit card statement - it was $44 and change at a Pizza Hut. I asked DH had he taken some colleagues to lunch or dinner - no. We went around and around with the fraud department of the credit card company. They told me they had my husband's signature on a receipt from one of the pizza places - NO - they had his name signed by someone else.

They finally reversed all the "pizza charges" and of course in the meantime the card was cancelled. They investigated and caught the people responsible but would not share any details with us.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Ours has been hacked a few times. Once the person who did so tried to order jewelry from a site where I routinely order only shoes and socks. Their customer service department called me because it was unusual and that's how it was caught.

We started buying gas only with preloaded gift cards at Walmart and have not had a problem since.
Mackie